Hard drive destroyed after Windows 10, anyone else?

Addictedtokaos

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm going to ignore the previous troll. I'm assuming that was sarcasm. If you would take the time to read my post, My backup drive had worked without issue for YEARS prior to upgrading to Windows 10. Then it died. I contacted the company and requested warranty and they sent me A NEW DRIVE. It worked for a few weeks and the new REPLACEMENT DIED.

For those who are serious about this:
I'm sure I have a few spare enclosures around the office and drives. I'm going to connect them up with my backup software to see the results.

I'm also going to get in touch with the company Iosafe to see if there has been any other request for users running windows 10.

Thomas Wadsworth

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
In the bios see if you can change the file system from pata/ide to Sata. Or vice versa. Your file system for windows 10 may have changed but not the bios settings.

Also check between using legacy bios or using uefi. Finally check options for using mbr or gpt.

Any number of things being changed is a re install of windows 10

JennyOlsen

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I thought this only happened to me.

After I installed Windows 10 on my main computer, three of the external hard drives died over a three month period. Totally dead, not possible to retrieve ANY information. Even using LINUX, I was not able to revive the disk.

Last edited:

Radalto

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
OK I was hired by 4 different costumers to put windows 10 on specs are over qualified and 2 have very expensive high in hard drives and the other 2 r labtops and all 4 fried. Now if it was mine I'd replace my self n go back to 7 but I need to find who paying for them cause I'm not pay for a raptor 4t hard drive and a 2t berracuta hard drive. I live in smell town n I don't have resources to pay for Microsoft ( Bill Gates) this is your company you sobby rich ****ers **** up cause he can't spend extra time to work out these issues before releasing it no gotta rush to get more money for releasing it now rather than making sure of quality issues were met. Is anyone starting law suit group for this does anyone know? Please message me so I can't hop on board if not I'll get ball rolling for cause there are 100 more sites just like this for this reason n one guy spent thousands on different hards thinking that's what's wrong. So let know .

mailboxamit

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft sucks. My 2 yrs old computer HP Envy crashed after Windows 10 .

Microsoft call center took 3 hours on phone . Then they tried routing to HP ..
I took it Microsoft store in Palo Alto CA . They said 5 days to fix with no cost and latest windows 10 fixed version

Today they ask that Harddrive to be replaced for Windows , Hard disk change will cost 250 $

For a buggy software sent that crashes system and hard drive why should customer pay

Bill Gates and Nadella you better care for your company the direction it is going Microsoft will become a history

nonie0401

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Mine (ASUS laptop) crashed after installing and uninstalling Win 10. Went through a whole 'repair' routine several times and each time it got worse. Finally got to the BSOD and had to pay $230 to get a new drive installed. (Not something I could do myself, so had to pay.)

If so many of us are having these crashing issues, something must be wrong in Windows 10 and we should be holding Microsoft responsible. Class action suit, anyone?

MihailC

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Same issue here as well. Upgraded from 8.1 to 10 yesterday, all went fine until the first reboot. Hdd is not found in BIOS now and it's ticking continuosly like and old mechanical clock. I don't receive any error message, nothing. The laptop (asus) goes straight into BIOS. Took the hdd out and connected it via usb (used an hdd enclosure i had) and via data cable. Same ticking sound and undetectable by the OS. I'm affraid the data is lost as well.

jcb4green

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
My Dell Laptop passed the Windows 10 compatibility test with flying colors.
Then about 1 week after starting using it the system crashed. The error
message indicated that the hard drive boot sector probably got corrupted by the
crash because one of the options on the startup screen was to run the
system test utilities and when I ran the hard drive tests they all passed
so the hard drive is there just the system will not boot up. I tried to recover
it myself but ended up having to send it to a repair place and they said they
have 100s of computers there to be worked on that passed the Windows 10
compatibility test then crashed shortly after going into use. You need to put
out some kind of notification of this problem and Microsoft needs to fix the
problem where we can recover our systems.
Thanks for listening...

Vegan Pete

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 has ****ed 1 harddrive of mine, had to buy a new SSD. Also ****ed up an SD card and a USB thumb drive. I went back to 7. I just plugged an external harddrive in a friends computer to copy some files. My harddrive is now ****ed, he has windows 10. Sooooo bad!!! It's bad coding, it creates a write only error which cannot be reverted or repaired with windows, linux or forensic software. Just permanently destroyed.

Vegan Pete

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 has ****ed 1 harddrive of mine, had to buy a new SSD. Also ****ed up an SD card and a USB thumb drive. I went back to 7. I just plugged an external harddrive in a friends computer to copy some files. My harddrive is now ****ed, he has windows 10. Sooooo bad!!! It's bad coding, it creates a write only error which cannot be reverted or repaired with windows, linux or forensic software. Just permanently destroyed.

drjudithvolpe

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Me too. Worked fine on desktop, wiped out laptop. Microsoft kept insisting I give them $149. I told them I was more likely to take them to small claims court! Brought device to very competent computer tech.

travis coyle

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
From my own experience losing 2 hard drives i started looking to see what was tasking my hard drive out so bad i have noticed that skype is the culprate
even though its not showing the numbers in task manager just end the program and watch your disk % drop for 100% to 0 maybe helpful might be a different issue but for me it was the crappy skype program

oviloves

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
Yes!!! I have the same problem! Windows 10 DESTROYED my Seagate External Hard Drive and my entire Life of MEMORIES!!!! :crying: I just finished running Seagate Recovery software, but Windows 10 has encrypted everything? (or something strange...) I don't know enough to solve the problem, but I'm DEFINITELY ready to join a class action lawsuit against Microsoft! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! Please include me!

My son works from home for a company and Windows 10 has caused him countless worries and problems. My mate is now installing Ubuntu on my computer and I'm saying "GOODBYE MICROSOFT" FOREVER!!!!!!! He put Ubuntu on our daughter and granddaughter's computers, as well as his own, and THEY LOVE IT!!! No viruses, no worries, no problems, no complaints, NO MICROSOFT!!!

I was a die hard windows supporter, too... what a fool I was to ever believe in them! Lesson learned . . . onward and upward!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb