No access to (annonymous) SMB shares in January TP

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I have a home network setup with an open samba server running a number of shares (anonymous). in the previous TP I had no problem accessing these and had a general network drive mapped to N: (from \\NAS\share).

In build 9926 I can't access the share and get the error that the network cannot be reached. I can see the share but can't get to it. When trying to map the drive I get the dreaded 'the account is not authorized to log in from this station'.. All I can find here is ancient posts relating to NT, XP or 2000 and non of those options work. As this popped up only now it must be some setting for some reason

Obviously as this is vital to me I can't stay on the TP and will be reverting back to 8.1. Yes, I know this is a preview and yadayada so not interested in that angle here.. It would be a shame to have to go back because of this and can't imagine I am the only one having this issue.

This is not a server side issue as I have no problem accessing the share when I roll back or use WIN8.1 .. Also adding account for login on the share is not an option really. From what I found this pretty much smells like an issue with 9926 to me.

any hints appreciated..

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a home network setup with an open samba server running a number of shares (anonymous). in the previous TP I had no problem accessing these and had a general network drive mapped to N: (from \\NAS\share).

In build 9926 I can't access the share and get the error that the network cannot be reached. I can see the share but can't get to it. When trying to map the drive I get the dreaded 'the account is not authorized to log in from this station'.. All I can find here is ancient posts relating to NT, XP or 2000 and non of those options work. As this popped up only now it must be some setting for some reason

Obviously as this is vital to me I can't stay on the TP and will be reverting back to 8.1. Yes, I know this is a preview and yadayada so not interested in that angle here.. It would be a shame to have to go back because of this and can't imagine I am the only one having this issue.

This is not a server side issue as I have no problem accessing the share when I roll back or use WIN8.1 .. Also adding account for login on the share is not an option really. From what I found this pretty much smells like an issue with 9926 to me.

any hints appreciated..

You may know it is a preview but that sentence and the next one tend to suggest you still don't entirely grasp what it means. Whether you are interested in that angle or not makes no difference. It is beta software that is not meant to be used on a primary machine. It is also not a Consumer Preview. It is still absolutely a Technical Preview. There are lots more bugs than just this one and while Microsoft is committed to patching quickly, beta patches are just as likely to have other unintended consequences. If you need to access the shares from that machine, you should neither be asking for hints nor running the TP.....

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
You may know it is a preview but that sentence and the next one tend to suggest you still don't entirely grasp what it means. .
I get that perfectly fine, thank you. Been around the block quite a few times and not unlikely for more years than you have been breathing so I'd suggest you tone it down a bit. :/

This has nothing to do with a bug.. I expected it to be what it was, a (new/required) registry entry which I needed to add and it's all good now..

I'm also quite aware of the 'risks' but frankly as I have my home network and system set up very well it's a trivial task to switch OS for me.. Actual was back up and running on 8.1 when I got the fix so there..

Oh.. also.. Maybe try and grasp the concept of quoting here.. seems you missed that one /s

Ole Gjerde

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Hello Paul,

What registry entry did you have to add / change? Any chance you can share the details?

I'm running into the exact same issue -- not a deal breaker at this point, but it's definitely annoying (and weird that it just started in this build).

Thanks!
Ole

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Duh.. Yes sure..

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

add

AllowInsecureGuestAuth

and set to 1 (DWORD)

le_pie

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I wanted to chime in, having come here from Google, that I had to make an additional modification to my registry to make this work.

I assume this is because of the specifics of my samba set up, but in that same Parameters key, I had to edit the EnablePlainTextPassword value to 1. Only then did I get access to my shares. They are set unauthenticated with no password, so I'm not sure why I had to go the extra step, but it made the setup work again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes