Windows 10 Draining Surface Battery?

jtzako

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that since installing Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 2 the battery dies faster than before when running.. However, the really odd thing is its somehow draining the battery when the Surface is OFF. I use the Start Menu -> Power -> Shutdown to turn it off, just like it did in Windows 8.1 but somehow the battery is draining in that condition. After about a day or two the battery will be under 6% when I turn it back on when it was fully charged when I shut down.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like it isn't successfully shutting down, and is in reality still struggling to fully shut off even when it appears to be off. I'm sure this bug will be resolved, but are you sure you want W10 on a touch device? It's really more suited to desktop use.

jtzako

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like it isn't successfully shutting down, and is in reality still struggling to fully shut off even when it appears to be off. I'm sure this bug will be resolved, but are you sure you want W10 on a touch device? It's really more suited to desktop use.

Its possible it isnt shutting properly even though the screen is off etc, hard to say. I dont see any errors in the logs, or any indication it didnt shut down properly when I start it back up (it goes through normal start process when I hit power button).

Also,W10 isnt any less suited to a touch device than W8 is.. It has Tablet mode that makes touch work even better in many cases than in W8.

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Try a forced reboot. Ive got W10 installed on my Sony Viao and Im not experiencing that, however mine I had to run troubleshoot twice because hard disk usage jumps to 100% all the time.
If anyone has that issue, with the 100% disk usage, go to control panel, troubleshoot, run diagnostic and it should alleviate that for you.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I've also noticed battery drain problems since installing Windows 10. Today I left my tablet unplugged and with pretty much a full charge. When I came back to it 6 hrs later, it was at 20% or so left. Normally it would've went to sleep and hardly of made a dent in the battery.

BigBrainEd

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
The power configuration on my surface pro 2 changed the power button to put the computer to sleep after upgrading to windows 10. On windows 8.1 the power button made the Surface Pro hibernate. I switched it back manually and this corrected the battery drain issue. I hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgiHudi