After a Win 10 Update, Wifi Cannot Be Turned On, why?

dhugos

May 22, 2013
Visit site
After a Win 10 Update, Wifi Cannot Be Turned On

I installed the latest WP 10 build - luckily, in my SIM-less 1020.

Now the wifi cannot be turned on in Settings. The error message is, "Can't do this right now, yada, yada." Very helpful. Not.

Is it possible to fix this? If not, what are my options? Phone is basically useless with no wifi.

Love WP, but hard to believe MS didn't see this in the lab, and went ahead and released this time-waster trash anyway. Glad I didn't try it on my two active phones.

Not feeling real positive about WP10.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: After a Win 10 Update, Wifi Cannot Be Turned On

I can partly understand your disappointment but you do know this is a previews have bugs. And that is also why you get all the warnings if you join the Insider preview. Like do not put it on your daily driver etc.

So don't do the crime if you can not do the time.

Thanks

dhugos

May 22, 2013
Visit site

I understand that, and it is why I put it on a SIM-less, therefore secondary phone, as I pointed out in the post. I get it.

But it doesn't excuse MS from putting out shabby software. I wouldn't call not being able to turn on wifi a "bug."

So I gave it a try, understanding that there were caveats. But there it is. I accept it. It's a secondary phone and not the end of the world.

But I'm asking if there is a solution, like people do when they encounter software bugs, rather than a lecture.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Reading the forums may be helpful or is that also a lecture?
And did you read in the forums that everyone had the same problem so no wifi?

And or explain a little bit more how you updated.
From 8.1, from 10136, did you do hard reset before the W10 update, did you do hard rest after the w10 update, did you do a clean install ....

dhugos

May 22, 2013
Visit site

I had Windows 8.1 installed with the latest software updates. Windows Insider cautioned me many times about the risks associated with the update to Win10 and I understood.

I read everything Dan Rubino writes on WC and he felt that the latest build was a turn of the corner, so I said what the hell. Obviously, it's not his responsibility, but this time I decided to go ahead and let Insider proceed with the install, which it did without incident. I did see that some people wrote in about wifi problems, but no, I definitely didn't conclude that everyone had this problem, as you say.

No one has provided a working solution that I could find so far. I've tried leaving the phone alone, as one person recommended. Another recommended a hard restart, which I later tried, but to no avail. So I'm simply trying to find out if there is indeed a recommended solution, before I roll it back.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site

What kind of variant did you have?
Different variat has different firmware which operate differently

Tom M

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

Just upgraded from 8.1 to windows 10 on Lumina 920 and have same problem it won't let me turn WiFi on. Says try later... anyone have solution?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Love WP, but hard to believe MS didn't see this in the lab, and went ahead and released this time-waster trash anyway. Glad I didn't try it on my two active phones.

You're probably underestimating what it takes to test these things. MS would have to test
- every WP device
- updated to W10M from every possible version of the OS still in use incl. country and OEM variants
- with various combinations of OEM app updates (with and without storage check and a dozen other similar "tinkering" apps)
- with clean and upgraded installs
- and all the possible permutations of everything above.
At this point MS is not doing much of that, so even obvious things can slip through. MS is probably just doing a clean install and then a basic sanity test on a few select devices. That's it.
If you don't have time to "waste", the insider program is NOT FOR YOU. I don't think the front page articles on WCentral emphasize this enough. Most people, incl. WCentral staff, are asking if a given version is good enough to use as a daily driver, when the premise of that question should already be rejected outright. The question should be IF IT'S GOOD ENOUGH TO PROVIDE FEEDBACK WITH, and even then any conclusions must mention the device, OS version and install procedure used. That's generally not the case, which can lead to false expectations like yours (you're not the only one unfortunately).

dhugos

May 22, 2013
Visit site

Hmm, I really don't know. How do I find that information?

Here is what "About Phone" tells me about the firmware:

Firmware revision number: 3051.50009.1451.1001

Other stuff:
OS version: 10.0.10149.0
Hardware revision number: 3.3.0.2

dhugos

May 22, 2013
Visit site

That's reasonable and thanks for your reply.

Had I come to that conclusion (and clearly a few others made the same mistake as me) I wouldn't have tried it. I'm knowledgeable but hardly a WP scholar, have used the phone for well over two years, am attached to the platform, and felt after waiting and waiting, now might be a time to try it on a backup phone.

That seemed like a reasonable risk to take, and in the event of failure, I was under the impression there would be a recommended path to take.

So, since I screwed up giving it a try, I'm just looking for some word from someone, who is indeed a good candidate for installing this, about what to they'd suggest now that I have this rather basic problem. That's it!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Someone suggested a hard reset. To completely reinstall the OS. Have you tried that?

Sometimes upgrades break things but full installs works.

dhugos

May 22, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for replying - yeah, I tried all the resets several times, until finally using the one under "About Phone." So now, as I understand it, the gears on the screen indicate that it's going back to factory settings. Then I'll bring it up to date with the latest 8.1 software, and then try re-installing WP 10. If the Wifi then doesn't work, I guess I'll go back to WP8 and wait for the next WP Build...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

So now, as I understand it, the gears on the screen indicate that it's going back to factory settings.

Not exactly. Most of us here call this a "hard reset". You can achieve this in various ways (ignore the entry for WP7), but they all do the exact same thing. If your phone was a PC, a hard reset is best compared to formatting your drive and reinstalling the same OS. Once you've upgraded the OS, no reset of any kind can take you back to the original setup the device had when leaving the factory, despite some people calling this a factory reset, which IMHO is a misnomer. This results in a fresh install of the OS that was already on your phone, just with all apps and user data permanently deleted. A "clean slate" if you will.

A soft reset is just turning the device off (not just standby) and on again. If your phone was a PC we'd call this rebooting. You can achieve this by holding the power button down for a few seconds and then swiping down. This should usually be the first step in all such scenarios, but it's rare that this "fixes" anything.

If the hard reset doesn't fix your problem, then it's very unlikely that flashing back to WP8.1 and then updating again to W10M will improve anything for you.

Last edited:

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site

Don't get me wrong but if you are not familiar with this terms than the Insider program is definitely not the right thing for you.

dhugos

May 22, 2013
Visit site

Ok A5cent, thanks for the time spent on the answer, I'll check things out when I get home tonight.

Rasetech, thanks for the succinct answer.

dhugos

May 22, 2013
Visit site

I didn't express it well, but I do get the concepts of soft and hard resets, and tried them a couple of times before allowing the phone to erase my data and do a reset. That stuff is very clear. Thanks again for the answers, much appreciated.

dhugos

May 22, 2013
Visit site

A very hard reset of the phone, reload from backup, and wifi now works fine. And I was wrong about Win10 being trash, because it works nicely on the 1020 and looks great. So, my bad, and I stand corrected!

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

A very hard reset of the phone, reload from backup, and wifi now works fine. And I was wrong about Win10 being trash, because it works nicely on the 1020 and looks great. So, my bad, and I stand corrected!

Good to hear it now works for you. :)

dhugos

May 22, 2013
Visit site

Now I'm all fired up about Win 10 and can't wait to put it on my 1520, which is also a secondary phone.

One thing though - it has PayPal working on it, so that I can take payments for a concert venue - and it works beautifully. It takes maybe half the time it used to in order to take a credit card - but I'm guessing I'm going to hold my horses and wait at least until August ...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes