W10M Insider Preview 14342 Discussion (Redstone Branch, Inactive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: W10M Insider Preview 14342 Issues (Redstone branch)

Can't use Spotify (and many other apps) with this build. Open Spotify, press "log in", choose "log in with Facebook", screen then goes white then crashes back to the desktop... every time! Grrr!

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

Even more ridiculous, I tried to use Groove after Spotify wouldn't work, and it said I needed to sign in, so far ok, but because i have two-factor authentication enabled, i also have to put in the code generated by the Authenticator app, again fine, except that on the screen where it's asking for the code, I cannot input anything, I tap where the code needs to go, it brings up the number pad, but then it doesn't accept any input. GRRRRRRRR!!!! This is ridiculous. I am obviously not supposed to listen to music on this phone...

Tried cutting and pasting the code, still won't do it, although it makes the pasting noise as normal. This is a seriously poor build!

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Hi,

I lost a bunch of photos after update.
The story goes, my phone updated while I was holidaying in Hawaii, the update didn't work, the nokia & Windows boot logo display and I end up with the black screen.
So nothing I could do until I got home. I use the recovery software, I didn't do a restore, I went for the clean install since most of the backups are months old. I Installed windows insider and got to the latest fast insider update.
The odd thing is a lot of photos are missing, I've done this previously and all photos have been there. I normally set storage to the SD card, now I'm wondering If I didn't do it last time and the photos I took where saved to the devices memory.
I'm guessing thats the case and I am screwed at retriving the photos. I did manually upload some to onedrive, but kicking myself I didn't do the lot.
I guess there is no way I getting them back ?

If in the past you left upload OneDrive settings by default, you'll find all Camera roll and saved photos there. No Whatsapp or other chats pics, if you don't saved them manually

Benjec83

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site

Same here - 930.

Turned off mobile data but not much difference.

Running so hot - can't be doing the phone much good. :angry:

Even when I turned cell data off I was still getting messages.. something definitely off there. Had to put it in flight mode

Vipin Khanna

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site

When i download Build 14342 in my lumia 640 XL. window store app is freezing continiously when i try to download any of the app & crashing also. Anybody face same issue.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

When i download Build 14342 in my lumia 640 XL. window store app is freezing continiously when i try to download any of the app & crashing also. Anybody face same issue.

Let it stay one day wifi connected. Store got a important update, it changes some many things. First need itself updating, and last 0003 build got it

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site

The first time I installed this it was stuck on the Windows splash screen, but after an hour I soft reset and it was fine. A few days later it insisted that it needed to re-install the same update. This time it bricked the phone. Had to use the Recovery tool. I know that the Redstone Branch is risky, but given how common problems like this have been I've concluded its not for me as Microsoft is just not testing it enough in terms of installation issues.

Back to Production Branch for me!

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

The first time I installed this it was stuck on the Windows splash screen, but after an hour I soft reset and it was fine. A few days later it insisted that it needed to re-install the same update. This time it bricked the phone. Had to use the Recovery tool. I know that the Redstone Branch is risky, but given how common problems like this have been I've concluded its not for me as Microsoft is just not testing it enough in terms of installation issues.

Back to Production Branch for me!

That's the Fast Ring Life. You made a good choice, Fast Ring isn't for daily drive phones, as Warned
Sometimes we got the risk, but better with X5X serie ;)

Vipin Khanna

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site

I am using 14342.1003 latest build in my lumia 640 XL. But i am facing same issue on current build. No dought Microsoft has changes in store like downloading show in new style. But sometimes When i try to download apps, store is freezing & crashing.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

I am using 14342.1003 latest build in my lumia 640 XL. But i am facing same issue on current build. No dought Microsoft has changes in store like downloading show in new style. But sometimes When i try to download apps, store is freezing & crashing.

Report a feedback ;)

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site

I'm still waiting to get the build on my BLU WIN HD LTE 150q, tried fast ring at first, when announced it was going to slow ring, I switched to it. I waited a day and switched back to fast. That was 2 days ago, now back to slow, I search for updates, and phone shows up to date.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

What are the major differences if any between the general official release and the fast-ring Redstone release? Think I've finally had enough of the preview versions now, but want to know if I might be letting myself in for more issue by going backwards. I'm running a L950.

Thanks.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

What are the major differences if any between the general official release and the fast-ring Redstone release? Think I've finally had enough of the preview versions now, but want to know if I might be letting myself in for more issue by going backwards. I'm running a L950.

Thanks.

There's an abyss.
Redstone insider is a preview of future, but be warned:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile-insider-preview/424875-w10m-insider-preview-14342-issues-redstone-
branch.html

Simply pay attention on top of page or Gabe officiale blog:

Here's what's new in Windows 10 Mobile Insider build 14342 | Windows Central

EDIT: finally , wifi tethering works perfectly, and there's usb tethering now, between the news.
You could got a battery and data drain the first day after update. That's normal, that's usual sync and caching

Sandy Rafmaniac

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

after installing the update 14342.1003 edge wont respond on my lumia 730..apps wont install or update in the store app..groove sometimes freeze !!!

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

There's an abyss.
Redstone insider is a preview of future, but be warned:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile-insider-preview/424875-w10m-insider-preview-14342-issues-redstone-
branch.html

Simply pay attention on top of page or Gabe officiale blog:

Here's what's new in Windows 10 Mobile Insider build 14342 | Windows Central

EDIT: finally , wifi tethering works perfectly, and there's usb tethering now, between the news.
You could got a battery and data drain the first day after update. That's normal, that's usual sync and caching

I have been running insider and Redstone builds for quite a long time, I am aware of what sorts of issues can crop up, but this current build has just worn me down, and I think I'm ready to come off the insider program now and go back to a production build. The two latest issues that have cropped up today is that I can't play any games on my PHONE that rely on the Xbox Live service, the same apps that are cross platform and on my PC work normally using the same WiFi connection. The store seems fine, but I can't use the Xbox app on the phone either, tried soft reset, still the same. This is on top of the other issues I've had with apps not staying open for very long before crashing to the start-screen, these apps include Spotify and MSN News among others. The quick fix that MS released the other day has done more harm than good. Battery drain is significantly higher than it was on the previous build too, and now there's no way to turn of advanced reporting which was how I had resolved this issue before on my L930 (using L950 now).

Oh yes, can't get into Groove either, needs me to sign in, but it also needs the code from my authenticator app which is fine, but although it pops up with the number pad to put the code in, it won't let me actually enter the code! I've had enough basically, I have been all for the insider programs through thick and thin, but right now, it really is one step forward and many more steps back. Even with a good build, it seems after a few weeks, it then starts to go wrong.

Are there any things that really stand out that are only in Redstone that I might miss?

Last edited:

MsftMan

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

OK, I really screwed the pooch with my set up. Lumia Icon suffering from horrid battery drain on version .1003. So last night I did the "complete" battery drain as suggested by someone earlier. While it "appears" to have helped a little, the drain is still there. For me it appears between WiFi and CellularData, CellularData is the biggest culprit at draining the battery.

Now comes the bad part, I was going to WDRT the phone earlier this week on to find out my PC is missing two .DLL files prohibiting the use of WDRT! Error "Could not locate the entry point _crtCreateSymbolicLinkW procedure in the dynamic link library MSVCR110.dll" then there's another .DLL causing grief.

I think this is due to one of the Visual C++ Redistributable files going missing. Have tried a lot of different tactics to get the necessary DLL back to no avail... so I'm uninstalling Visual Studio 2013 and 2015 today and reinstalling them to see of I can get the two files needed back.

Then I thought, "Hey! I'll use my HP7 tablet and try that..." not enough room on the C-Drive. Man I can't catch a break.

What follows is my Battery Pro+ readings of the drain;
wp_ss_20160521_0001.jpg
wp_ss_20160521_0002.jpg

MsftMan

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

YEEEAAAHHH! I uninstalled every Visual Studio application I had along with the most recent Visual C++ Redistributables and restarted my desktop PC (running Windows 10 14342) and voila! I was able to install WDRT 3.4.34

Now... onto resurrection of an Icon! :excited:

Javadevil

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

If in the past you left upload OneDrive settings by default, you'll find all Camera roll and saved photos there. No Whatsapp or other chats pics, if you don't saved them manually

Thanks Maurizio,
I definitely didn't have onedrive uploading photos, I turn that off after every update. I had the photos storage set to device. Reseting the phone doesn't touch my SDcard.

Javadevil

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

Wow I woke up with a fully charge 1520 went for an 1hr walk came back and with in 30mins my phone was flat.
I took 3 photos. I'm going back the slow insider ring.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

Even more ridiculous, I tried to use Groove after Spotify wouldn't work, and it said I needed to sign in, so far ok, but because i have two-factor authentication enabled, i also have to put in the code generated by the Authenticator app, again fine, except that on the screen where it's asking for the code, I cannot input anything, I tap where the code needs to go, it brings up the number pad, but then it doesn't accept any input. GRRRRRRRR!!!! This is ridiculous. I am obviously not supposed to listen to music on this phone...

Tried cutting and pasting the code, still won't do it, although it makes the pasting noise as normal. This is a seriously poor build!

Had same issue. I think you need to start typing LETTERS and then all of a sudden it will work.. At least that's how I figured out when I started hitting all the keys. Go to auth app and make sure you get the number while it's still fresh so you don't have to flip back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes