Share your W10M Start Screens and Backgrounds!

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Here is my lovely creation. I had to use the PC version of the site as the tapatalk app wont let me upload pics due to WP10TP.wp_ss_20150423_0001.png

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I haven't installed W10 yet, I'll wait for a release, but I've uploaded some blurred background images that I think will work really well with transparent tiles. You can grab them from here - W10 Phone Backgrounds - Album on Imgur

Feel free to do whatever you like with them but it would be great to see some screen grabs of W10 running with them. BTW, the last one is my current WP8 wallpaper, featuring a tarted up version of my car. Below is a sample of the type of images included.

BlurredBG-3.jpgBlurredBG-0.jpg

API_Rock

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Here is mine:-

A.png

Also I found two new features:-

1. Outlook mail now can attach any file (thanks MS)
2. WP can play mkv out of the box!!!

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
842bc76ff3bae4b0f5a0990d0772a3e3.png
1b834817d86d1f76d0c43b5350f22fc3.png

Enviado via Lumia 1020

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
wp_ss_20150427_0001.jpg

I hope there are going to be options about the slight translucency of wallpapers. I realise that it's a smart way to solve two problems at once: it separates the art from the tiles by washing it out slightly, and it allows the dark status symbols to show up even on wallpapers with dark backgrounds. Unfortunately it wrecks the richness of some images, and users of the dark theme get comparatively dull Start screens due to the black leaking through. This is how that painting is supposed to look:

Judith_with_the_Head_of_Holofernes_by_Cristofano_Allori.jpg

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
People's creativity always astounds me when it comes to how the Start Screen's arranged. (as proof of that, I haven't had time to rearrange my screen yet ;___;)

I do have a question, though. I've been debating to try what DCTF and others have been doing (minimalist start screens), but part of it is inertia and part of it is what "workflow" I have on my phone works. I'm assuming you guys find it easy enough to use your phones in that fashion, or don't mind going to the app list to open apps that might not be on the screen?

There are different ways to handle it. You can make the main chunk of the screen with this minimal look, maybe giving preference to the tiles that give you notifications that you need to see most, and then leave a pool of icons filling the screen below (so you only see them if you scroll).

You could make lots of use of combined folder tiles, but obviously that's only good for tiles which can remain static, and for which you need no notifications.

Otherwise, it's just a case of being very strict about how much you really need a Start tile. I realised, for example, that I don't really need People (the app, not... you know what I meant). It's accessible within Phone, so the extra tile is redundant. I'm very much hoping that Outlook will behave as a single app tile in the final WP10 - they're the same app, so it would be nice to have a single tile that flips between email alerts and calendar info. Do we really need maps on the Start screen? Probably not, but there will be days when we do. That's partly why I added that scatter of small tiles. It's partly because I like the look of it and the way it makes the illusion of depth, but it's also so I can throw a tile on that I need for that day. If I'm going to be in London, I can throw on the Tube Map app for that day, or if I'm going to an unfamiliar city I can add Here street maps or the City Lens.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
wp_ss_20150509_0001.png

I'm getting antsy for more tile screen customizations as well. Any road. It's Inori Aizawa from one of Microsoft's desktop wallpapers promoting Internet Explorer, cut out and 'sketched' using a GIMP filter, then put on the Start Screen using #TileArt. The actual background is a picture of Paris I had in my stuff of random pictures that I 'sketched' using the same filter.

Any road, thanks @DCTF. I'm trying to just put on the screen the tiles that I absolutely need/want on an everyday basis. I'll re-negotiate with myself later if I need/want more.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2