Share your W10M Start Screens and Backgrounds!

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Beginning to think that kind of layout is the smart way to go!

It's really hard to fill the screen and make it look good, especially with the fixed opaque blue backgrounds on the Outlook apps. Even a texture with too much detail looks bad.

Mine's like this at the moment, which isn't ideal but it's alright.

wp_ss_20150413_0003-thumb[1].jpg

I'm stuck on wanting the Taupe theme colour because it makes a great black/white/gold look in the Settings pages, so I have to try and find backgrounds that work with that. Going to try a de-cluttered one a bit like yours, once I find a photo I like!

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell me what resolution my images need to be for a Lumia 920? I know it's a 768x1280 screen, but the phone stretches images of that size beyond the edges of the screen, in order to make the parallax effect when scrolling. I'm trying to get an accurate position for some elements. Thanks!

weaksauce27

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Glad you guys like the layout I did. With the new changes to the background I hope MS will bring default wallpaper that goes well with the new tiles.
And here is one more! :cool: *I wish there was a way to put one row of tiles at the bottom by itself.

wp_ss_20150414_0001.png

Edit* Here is another with the tiles on the side.

wp_ss_20150414_0002.png

Last edited:

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Slightly happier, but this illustration somehow becomes a bit Gothic Ed Hardy when used as a smartphone wallpaper:

wp_ss_20150414_0001[1].png

I like your minimal set-ups, Weaksauce27! I wish I had the discipline to use so few tiles, but I like the "at a glance" news thing too much.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site

See, these are like unicorns - photo backgrounds that actually show through in a nice way on WP10!

I think that's a problem with this new system. The whites of the app icons are so strong and distinct, whereas the tiles and backgrounds are generally melting together in everyone's full coverage layouts. We have to use big tiles in order for photo backgrounds to show through in the tiles' negative space, but that then leaves these ultra-precise white shapes in positions that will almost never form a fully attractive arrangement (unless you use the same tile size/shape repeated). The components of the design are breaking apart instead of working together as one thing.

WP10 needs to find a way to allow a modular construction set to reliably form layouts that have the kind of balance that a good magazine page might have. Lots of people seemed to dislike the concept in Joshwin's post on the previous page but I really think that's the kind of look we need. It recognises that simply centring the icon works against the shapes set up by the tiles. It looks much better when visual information is balanced across a tile -- the headline and 1st para of your News app's Live Tile when it flips, your tiles that feature full photos.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm stealing your idea weaksauce27 😁. Here's my start screen currently.
06cd2427451960fc8b67ed07049bba5a.png

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
how do you set the background on the start screen with transparent tiles? I'm running WP 10 preview for developers on my L625 OS version 10.0.12534.56

I'm not sure what you mean, so perhaps there's something wrong with your installation or maybe I've misunderstood you. Tiles are translucent automatically, and the only ones that appear opaque are the ones that the app developers fixed to be that way.

Even if you don't load a background image, the tiles are still the same translucency (so tiles will look dull on a dark theme and slightly pastel on a light theme, unlike in 8.1 where having no background would give you tiles in your theme colour with 100% opacity). I expect we'll have more options eventually, but at the moment that's how it is.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Bellagio Lobby Ceiling.png

The background is the Bellagio lobby's glass flower ceiling, cropped and modified using Photoshop Express. I wanted a bold and flamboyant color scheme that would go with a yellow Lumia 635 shell and matching yellow earbuds.

I try to arrange my live tiles in an asymmetric fashion for the most part, though they are (mostly) grouped by function and use. There is, indeed, a method to the madness.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon