Anyone installed on x86 phone?

bdchambers79

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Believe it or not, there are a few x86 phones out there, and I'm really curious about running Windows 10 on them!

Has anyone gotten this to work, or even attempted it? I'm specifically interested in the Asus Zenfone 2, but I'd like to hear of other phones as well.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You're better off trying XDA about this :).

Never the less tools for Windows Phone are still in their infancy, it will be awhile before people are flashing their phones with relative ease like the Windows Mobile days of old.

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm stuck at the point where I insert the dvd into the Zenfone 2. :) It will likely have a lot more bugs initially because x64 is so uncommon for phones. I predict that in 5 to 10 years x64 will be uncommon in general as people leave their PCs behind. Some sites are already reporting that Android has surpassed Windows when it comes to internet usage. I don't think the leadership at Microsoft respects mobile as much as it should. Just as the mini computer Unix/Solaris/AS400 guys didn't respect Windows micro PCs 20 years ago. The focus should be on ARM or the thing that surpasses it. Perhaps a quality Win32 emulator for ARM would help secure a future for Windows as people can advance without leaving all their Windows 7 software behind.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm stuck at the point where I insert the dvd into the Zenfone 2. :) It will likely have a lot more bugs initially because x64 is so uncommon for phones. I predict that in 5 to 10 years x64 will be uncommon in general as people leave their PCs behind. Some sites are already reporting that Android has surpassed Windows when it comes to internet usage. I don't think the leadership at Microsoft respects mobile as much as it should. Just as the mini computer Unix/Solaris/AS400 guys didn't respect Windows micro PCs 20 years ago. The focus should be on ARM or the thing that surpasses it. Perhaps a quality Win32 emulator for ARM would help secure a future for Windows as people can advance without leaving all their Windows 7 software behind.

Microsoft is already working on Windows on ARM, many don't realise that the common core platform or onecore is now the same across phones and xbox. Given that Windows phone runs on ARM only at present, the cross buy, project centennial etc should be an indication where windows is heading (not to mention project midori).

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft is already working on Windows on ARM, many don't realise that the common core platform or onecore is now the same across phones and xbox. Given that Windows phone runs on ARM only at present, the cross buy, project centennial etc should be an indication where windows is heading (not to mention project midori).
I think Microsoft's misstep is not including actual Windows as part of the common core. People who thought they could run their applications on the Surface RT got an unpleasant surprise. The universal windows platform and continuum are nice; however it can only run apps similar to what people got with Surface RT. My top 3 applications right now are Fallout 4, Visual Studio and SQL Server. I don't see Microsoft or Bethesda using project centennial to any advantage for my current situation nor in such a way that I don't have to repurchase software I own. I'm not saying ARM is ready for my workloads, but the OS traditionally needs to be ahead of the hardware. I may sound negative, but I'm really just disappointed.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft's misstep is not including actual Windows as part of the common core. People who thought they could run their applications on the Surface RT got an unpleasant surprise. The universal windows platform and continuum are nice; however it can only run apps similar to what people got with Surface RT. My top 3 applications right now are Fallout 4, Visual Studio and SQL Server. I don't see Microsoft or Bethesda using project centennial to any advantage for my current situation nor in such a way that I don't have to repurchase software I own. I'm not saying ARM is ready for my workloads, but the OS traditionally needs to be ahead of the hardware. I may sound negative, but I'm really just disappointed.

Nope, it was a result of miss communication and the fact it was called Windows RT.

Apple for example got around this despite saying the iphone ran OSX by calling it a different name therefore distinguishing what it could and could not do. If Microsoft called it "Tablet O/S" it would have made perfect sense on paper but the reality is at first glance there was no difference in terms of UX for Windows RT and Win32 Windows. Whereas with the iOS it looked nothing like OSX, it's all about branding and differentiation in terms of UX nothing more and nothing less.

To compound matters, Office Gemini / Touch Office along with a touch centric file explorer and settings was not ready so they had to bundle in the traditional Office with the desktop version file explorer. Which resulted in a rather jarring experience if you were solely using touch as the traditional file explorer is not that optimised for touch.

I get it you are disappointed however it will take awhile for full blown applications to be handled natively on the phone via continuum which is why HP is offering virtualisation for Win32 applications on the Elite X3 (something certain blogs have failed to mention or deliberately omitted).

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Nope, it was a result of miss communication and the fact it was called Windows RT.
I just want to clarify my point with continuum and how it similar to Windows RT. The miss communication in my opinion is "Turn your phone into a PC". It can't do what is implied. It is only currently supported on a tiny number of universal windows platform applications. Just like with Windows RT, you can't run PC applications. If you are in PC mode, I don't see the problem with having a Win32 desktop, virtual or real. I'll have to check out what they have done with the X3.

Having an awful UX doesn't help like you say and they are making progress in some ways. I can see how UX can be a big factor for some people including me. I haven't bought a 950 because of the UX. I personally consider the UX on w10M to be a step down from 8.1 except for the settings and notifications area.

I don't use Office personally but I can imagine that not having a touch based version on windows RT would be pretty bad. Putting a preview OS on the 950s was probably not a good idea either. I'm a bit bewildered by it all.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I just want to clarify my point with continuum and how it similar to Windows RT. The miss communication in my opinion is "Turn your phone into a PC". It can't do what is implied. It is only currently supported on a tiny number of universal windows platform applications. Just like with Windows RT, you can't run PC applications. If you are in PC mode, I don't see the problem with having a Win32 desktop, virtual or real. I'll have to check out what they have done with the X3.

Having an awful UX doesn't help like you say and they are making progress in some ways. I can see how UX can be a big factor for some people including me. I haven't bought a 950 because of the UX. I personally consider the UX on w10M to be a step down from 8.1 except for the settings and notifications area.

I don't use Office personally but I can imagine that not having a touch based version on windows RT would be pretty bad. Putting a preview OS on the 950s was probably not a good idea either. I'm a bit bewildered by it all.

I disagree, Continuum and RT are no where similar they may be similar where the lock down is but that is where the similarities end.

RT, i'm sure you are aware was the Runtime used by Windows 8.x without the Win32 functionality, therefore it was much robust in terms of gestures, multitasking and so on.

You cannot at present snap anything with continuum but are limited to full screen mode similar to how apps used to open in the full content glory on Windows 8.

Continuum will obviously continue to evolve as mobile chips become more and more powerful to be able push insane more data and pixels at the same time. Most people don't realise each individual pixel does contain data and the cpu/gpu is constantly processing that data as each pixel changes.

For example so when you combine a 4k display which is playing a movie in native resolution, playing games on your phone, whilst you are downloading something via Ethernet onto your phone without it breaking a sweat; that is when you know you have a incredibly powerful device on your hands.

In terms of App visualization, we will need to wait and see what happens as it is the first time an OEM has bundled their own visualization solution, with windows mobile 10 and along with continuum support.

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
The user experience (UX) can be exactly the same for the non-technical user of Windows RT as it is for Continuum. We don't even have to turn the devices on.

Consider the situation where a friend or family member shows up at your door with their old vista laptop and Office 2003 install cd, etc and asks you to help them move their stuff onto their new Lumia 950 or Surface RT. You rightly tell them they probably have to return it to the store because it can't do what is asked.

My friend goes on to tell everyone that, "The new Microsoft is no good because it can't even run my old programs. I even had Jase look at it."
Now my name is getting dragged in it too and will later have to explain to mutual friends and family about what's wrong with Windows. Like I had a hand in it. The store manager sees the higher rate of returns coming in from his reports and removes the 950 or Surface RT from display to prevent further loss.

I would like to see a quality Win32 implementation on every computing device that contains the words "Microsoft" or "Windows" on the packaging or looks to be a PC or laptop or makes any kind of claim to be like one. With that, I can at least get people back to a common starting point, prevent a product return and have them start transitioning into the new if they so choose.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon