After Windows 8.1 Preview Update, Cortana is missing

victor Hijuelos

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I just went through the 8.1 preview install and see some of the new features(Calendar, Notification Center) ;however, for some reason - the Cortana feature is completely missing. I don't have an other updates left to install so I am confused as to what happened. Any ideas?

JasonKruys

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I assume you have read the thousands of threads and posts that tell you it is not available outside the US unless you change your phone region, and it is another problem?

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Make sure the the keyboard is US. Make sure the region is US.
Make sure the region format is set as keyboard.
And that's it. Should pop up after a restart.

victor Hijuelos

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I've confirmed that I have region setting and format set to United States and my keyboard is set to English. After a hard reset I still see no sign of Cortana in settings- Applications. My phone is a Nokia 1020.

CortanaUser

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Cortana missing? Here's the solution.

Your Region, Language, Speech, and Keyboard need to be set to US and English.
If you have more than one, the US/English option needs to be first in line. It SHOULD work if there is more than one region, language, speech, or keyboard option, but I had to remove everything except US/English before mine worked.
You should be able to touch/hold and move up to get the US/English to be first in line.
If this doesn't work, touch/hold and remove. This will not work in the UK is in the first position and the US is in the second position. It will work if the US is moved up first.

After that, reboot and Cortana app should appear in settings/apps. You'll still need to go to Cortana settings and activate.

Sosinondodrore

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Cortana missing? Here's the solution.

Your Region, Language, Speech, and Keyboard need to be set to US and English.
If you have more than one, the US/English option needs to be first in line. It SHOULD work if there is more than one region, language, speech, or keyboard option, but I had to remove everything except US/English before mine worked.
You should be able to touch/hold and move up to get the US/English to be first in line.
If this doesn't work, touch/hold and remove. This will not work in the UK is in the first position and the US is in the second position. It will work if the US is moved up first.

After that, reboot and Cortana app should appear in settings/apps. You'll still need to go to Cortana settings and activate.

Everything removed exept US keyboard and language. EVERYTHING set to US settings. Still no cortana! :crying:

DF72

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. All mentioned settings are set to US and Cortana is missing. I don't even see a Cortana item in Settings..
Installed is WP8.1 Update 1 (developer preview).

Jose Fernando

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. All mentioned settings are set to US and Cortana is missing. I don't even see a Cortana item in Settings..
Installed is WP8.1 Update 1 (developer preview).

It seems update 1 is the problem. What I mean is that if you are trying to get Cortana after the update 1 you won't get it.

ruisolid

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm from Brazil, I have the same issue. After GDR1 update, I'm not able to use Cortana, with all US Settings enabled.
Is Microsoft blocking Cortana in other regions?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa