"hey Cortana" uk only

Lumiana

Banned
Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys... Just a quick question. Has anyone in the UK got "hey Cortana" to work when you got the update? If you didn't at first but eventually did what trick did you use?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Lumiana

Banned
Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
I have received the official denim firmware tonight with the official Cortana but still not showing. Not sure if it may be a slow network roll out. Did yours come straight away or did it arrive a few hours later? I am on giffgaff pay as you go

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I think there was one of those settings apps possibly? Have you checked the store app for queued downloads? Possibly there wasn't one. Being as you will probably have the slow rotation bug after taking a camera shot with the new version of the lumia camera app (see 930 forum), you may as well get a factory reset done now and save the pain. It'll probably solve this issue too. Remember to back up first.

You will want access to unrestricted WiFi before you try a factory reset as it will redownload all the apps. PAYG may be a pricey experience.

Lumiana

Banned
Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I use WiFi mostly indoors 95% of the time and never use video or youtube when I'm out. No problems with camera at all at the moment fingers crossed but some are and some are not getting the hey Cortana at the bottom of settings. Most strange

Lumiana

Banned
Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Hey Cortana SOLVED for uk phones

Some of you may have not received "hey cortana" when you got her in tonight's download in the UK. I didn't either and there was also a bug where you press the back button and the page didn't show up. All it takes is a painful hard reset. I did that and now I have hey Cortana in my settings. I am also on giffgaff pay as you go unlocked phone if that helps

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have this exact same thing, updated to denim but there's no Hey Cortana. Tried the hard reset but still no Hey Cortana in the system settings.
I had a similar thing happen for Motion Settings but I was lucky to be helped out on these forums, someone supplied me with a direct link to the setting. Hoping for the same thing with Hey Cortana...

Lumiana

Banned
Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if it helps but i didn't do back up restore. I started fresh to get system settings as new. You could try that as I did and it worked and a few others said it worked too for them

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
What phone are you using? Do remember that the Lumia 930/1520 are the only phones that currently support "Hey Cortana". Another possible wrinkle is that your speech/country settings don't match. As I said in this thread, "Hey Cortana" only seems to work if your country and speech are the same; if your country is set to Australia or India for example, and have your speech set to UK English, then "Hey Cortana" won't be available. You MUST have your country set to UK English as well.

All of these hoops to jump through sure makes using Windows Phone pretty unfriendly to casual users. MS really needs to relax the language requirements on Cortana and have it restricted to speech settings only.

Adriano Quirino

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Wow! Thank you for this. That was exactly my problem. The thread where I related it: forums(.)windowscentral(.)com/cortana/337785-%5Bhelp-%5D-hey-cortana-menu-doesnt-appears-all-settings(.)html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes