Windows RT upgrade path to Windows 10: Well, there isn't one.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Today during the WinHEC conference in Shenzhen, China Microsoft has reveled a definitive roadmap for how different versions of Windows will be upgraded to Windows 10. Windows 7 and 8 have support, but Windows RT is left out in the cold with no upgrade path to Windows 10.

20pr6zn.jpg

Many of us already knew this is the case, as Microsoft has been quoted saying they plan to have an update for RT with "some" Windows 10 features. So this is for the people who have for whatever reason have been "hopeful". I'll admit, If I weren't planning to replace my Surface RT with a Surface Pro 4 (if/when announeced), I MAY be a tiny bit upset....maybe.

RIP RT.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
RT is DEAD!!! Long live RT!!!

Dang. Like my little RT tablet. It's a great device for reading and browsing while in bed.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
My Surface 2 will work the same as it does now after Win10 comes out. Idk why but I have never been bothered RT will see no Win10 love.

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
The limited things which RT does, it seems to do well. I have a lumia 2520 and a surface 2 and find them to be adequate. Though I obviously prefer my surface pro 3. RT I think was ultimately a guinea pig... a test of how to integrate windows.... which it served its purpose for; we'll be getting windows 10. :)

sandflo

May 6, 2014
Visit site
As I'm an early adopter and bought Surface RT because I thought I am future proof: can somebody explain or guess what the reason behind this is? I thought at first all devices have Nvidia Tegra and that is the reason (though they are ARM) but I checked and the Nokia 2520 has a Qualcomm...

What is your guess?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Sigh... I guess all those back and forth with the anti-RT crowd here was all for nothing... Go ahead. Say it. "I told you sooooooo..."

wrm1

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm still holding out that RT will be replaced with the Mobile 10. Same basic UI as the Phone (ala iOS). All arm based systems running the same version and feel. The idea of RT evolves and that differentiates them from the full computers. Wishful thinking, even dreaming I know...but, it's a great dream. Lol.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Sigh... I guess all those back and forth with the anti-RT crowd here was all for nothing... Go ahead. Say it. "I told you sooooooo..."

Yup, I told you so 😉
It was about a year ago that I started explaining in these forums why RT is dead (end of life with no further product development). Taking that position got me into trouble every time back then.
However, that conclusion had absolutely nothing to do with me thinking RT was bad, nor was it based on the idea that RT's popularity would cause MS to give up. MS never quits for that reason.
What gave it away was the realization that RT had no chance of competing with Android tablets on price, which is a capability of strategic importance if Windows tablets are to succeed. Unfortunately, that's not an argument that is easily followed without a background in computer science, so it's easy to ignore, particularly if you don't like the message.
Anyway, my point is that it is possible to make negative predictions regarding RT, while still liking RT for what it is. Understanding that RT couldn't take MS' tablet efforts where they needed to go doesn't make me think less of RT as it is now. It's still a good thing. I was never anti-RT.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully RT can run Windows 10 universal apps.

We know an update is coming and this is the single most important piece of functionality MS could provide. Not only for MS' customers, but also for themselves.
The success of MS' unified Windows Store depends on having the largest possible user base. Windows RT owners represent low hanging fruit in that regard.
Predicting how MS would support/update existing Windows RT devices has been the most difficult part of this whole ordeal, but at this point I'd say this is the one thing we can be sure of.
It's also another one of my Windows RT predictions that I made two months back, and I'm counting on MS to not make me a liar 😉.

R0bR

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
The only way RT would have succeeded was if they went full modern on it and got rid of the desktop. Initially I thought that an update to do just that once Modern Office was out would have solved the whole confusion around it. However, now that I see the direction they are going with Windows 10 and how desktop centric it is even for tablet mode it does not fit RT and it would confuse users even more. It's unfortunate, I really like my original Surface RT and it is still my go to device over my SP3 for consuming content. I hope that even though RT is on it's way out that they would extend Windows 10 on phone to larger tablets up to 8-10".

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The only way RT would have succeeded was if they went full modern on it and got rid of the desktop. Initially I thought that an update to do just that once Modern Office was out would have solved the whole confusion around it.

This is what I once thought too. About half year ago I changed my mind however, once I realized how many people really liked the desktop and don't want it removed from their Windows RT devices. Going full modern also brings with it the complication of requiring Touch Office be every bit as capable as Desktop Office that comes bundled with Windows RT. Anything less would rightfully be ridiculed as an unacceptable downgrade.
If a real W10RT isn't in the cards, I think leaving the basic UX as it is and just updating individual components to ensure compatibility with W10 apps makes sense.

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Well, we already knew that since they said some time ago that Windows RT will only get some features, so you could expect a Windows RT 8.2 update. Which is why there is not upgrade path to Windows 10.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm still holding out that RT will be replaced with the Mobile 10. Same basic UI as the Phone (ala iOS). All arm based systems running the same version and feel. The idea of RT evolves and that differentiates them from the full computers. Wishful thinking, even dreaming I know...but, it's a great dream. Lol.

If that was he case, the upgrade path would have stated "Windows RT >> Windows 10 Mobile." Windows 10 Mobile (phones & small tablets) supports screen sizes up to 6.99 inches, that pretty much sums it up that it will not get the phones/small tablet version either.

Microsoft wrote off huge losses because of the Surface RT & Surface 2, they have no incentive to continue full support for Windows on ARM --- this is just another step in trimming the "fat" at Microsoft. They're focusing their resources of popular and more important products that will ensure this company thrives in the years to come. Windows RT was doomed from the beginning with its lack luster Store apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClareceKeard