How to check and force a Windows 10 upgrade

Biff Henderson

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
80240020 IS NORMAL. 80240020 DOES NOT mean the download is corrupt.

In fact, the download was successful and the computer has not yet received permission from Microsoft to proceed with the install.

Without permission, 80240020 will continue to appear.
80240020 will occur perhaps daily until Microsoft sends the computer permission to install.

Permission will come in days or even weeks.

Permission is granted to extremely large groups of computers in waves.
This limiting technique ensures that servers and support persons are not overwhelmed with millions of installs occuring at one time.

This also enables a few computers to have their installation postponed until certain 3rd party drivers are available by those vendors. Eventually, all computers will get the permission flag set.
This flag is in the registry. It can be set manually but it is not advised to edit the registry.

Be patient. I am only guessing that most computers will receive permission to proceed within one week.

TylerrMarth

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Did you have any problems with the update after you downloaded it? I'm just curious because I don't want to download it and then have an issue with my activation key. Thank you in advance

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Windows10 upgrade happened on July 31 for Microsoft to push the upgrade. All went well from Windows 8.1 to 10; the login to Windows10 I swore it was logging into Windows 8.1 at times !

poseiden79

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
So I have tried all of the above and for the life of me, I cannot get my system to show the Windows 10 upgrade at all.

I look into my update history and it shows Windows 10 Pro upgrade in there but shows a Failure as a result every time.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So I have tried all of the above and for the life of me, I cannot get my system to show the Windows 10 upgrade at all.

I look into my update history and it shows Windows 10 Pro upgrade in there but shows a Failure as a result every time.

I had that same problem. The issue is that Microsoft is staggering the rollout, but is giving very limited information to users about this. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the registry edit mentioned in this link fixed it for me, and for many others that had the error message as well:
Windows Update Installation Failure 80240020 - Microsoft Community

wcid

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Really the entire thread. I was trying to let folks know that the media creation tool lets the do an immediate upgrade. It bypasses as of this forcing the update stuff that people are trying. Sorry if I posted I wrong spot.

Johnny Calderon

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I "reserved" my copy a while ago so I'm just waiting, me and my dad's pc's are win8.1 and my wife is a win7, so just yesterday I oicked my wife's pc and started updating the OS... I gor the reserve windows upgrade so I "reserved" it... today I turned on her pc windows 10 started downloading... and mine still hasn't... I think it said you were added to a queue so you can get get your upgrade... I'm still gonna wait.. but wth?

Maxwell Zwe

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Mine has grown to about 8 GB (~6 GB on disk). I cannot update it manually when pressing setup, so I guess I will have to wait too. Updating also does nothing for now.
Capture2.PNG
Capture.PNG

Update: Apparently, there was an error with upgrading to Windows 10 Pro (my laptop is currently running Win 8.1 Pro). The highlighted links take me to Insider page, so maybe my laptop is not "marked" as non-Insider yet, or something...

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
For ppl who want to upgrade it's highly recomended to use official media creation from microsoft and let it do the upgrade. Much more faster rather than using automatic method

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Don't force and check Windows Update everyday; one of those days the update will be ready to download; have patience, if you end up waiting a week !

shreyas24

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Let it download, then the installation will begin immediately thereafter. Hopefully all works out, as the upgrade is being pushed to you ! Good Luck !

I downloaded thru the above method I.e directly thru windows update. It downloaded and installed it. However the installation of windows 10 did not start. Please help me out

Longshot2012

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
In my case, it happened due to inconsistent download and was able to get rid of this issue after I removed all contents from
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. Once done, opened command prompt as administrator and run following command:

wuaucllt.exe /updatenow

This initiated the update and successfully completed W10 installation.

Few things to note: Make sure to set the update settings as Automatically download and install the updates before hitting the command. Also, keep the Windows Update page open while you are set to hit the command.

This worked for me, I had updates set to not download automatically. Once I changed it, W10 showed up in Windows Updates and is now downloading. Thanks!

Westarmy

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft have actually patched this I believe. I've got the retail ISO.

Ask your IT buddies, I have one who works at a college Windows 10 is available to download as he can get it through dreamspark.

Or you child who maybe at school/college. It varies for many people.

But once you have retail ISO you can literally force ANY computer to get Windows 10Win10.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo