Why won't the App Store open in Windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

When I open the app store, the splash screen comes up and then just disappears and nothing ever happens. Had anyone seen a fix for this?

RVONE

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem and was able to fix it go to = microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I almost forgot to mention, To make sure that you choose upgrade or use the Download tool, It depends or you'r individual situation. But it works just fine all my files where left intact as well as my apps.

Kind Regards,
RVOne

Last edited:

Catchphraze

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Guys, I tried every damned fix that was suggested on about 10 different websites, and none of them work. Last night, I achieved victory, at last!

I had to go to "This PC", right-click the C: Drive (or wherever your OS is installed,) and in the Advanced Security settings change the Owner of the drive to "Administrators." Be sure to check the boxes to apply the changes to all subfolders and directories.

Then, make sure the "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" user group has Full Control permissions to the drive (I also assigned the same permissions to Users, Administrators, etc. just in case.)

You can find more information on how to do this here:

addictivetips [DOT COM] /windows-tips/take-ownership-of-files-folder-and-change-permissions-in-windows-8/

This FINALLY worked like a charm. No cmd prompt or powershell fixes needed whatsoever. Because of a stupid security setting, the Windows Store basically didn't have permissions to open itself, which is why it would immediately close after attempting to open it.

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
This is crazy. Now this is the fourth PC with the same issue of the Store not opening. In the past I removed and recreated the user, now on this PC it is the local user account with the issue. Can't remove that user! Was hoping todays Windows CU would help. Did not...

SiddhantBhavsar

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I can't find folder named "Local Cache " in C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe
Pls help me!!!
I tried everything such as Power Shell sfc/scannow , but won't able to open store.
Store closes immediately

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
After trying many solutions and nothing working, I created a MS user, removed the local user, login as the MS user and created a new local user. Only way to get the Store back. This is terrible Microsoft. There are many users with the same issue...

Sabeeh Rashid

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
Re: Why won't the App Store and xbox open in windows 10

i click the windows store and xbox for xbox the color gets dull or dark and it has a little bar on the bottom wich never fills up.

for the windows store when i click it it says you'll need a new app to open this ms-windows-store.

ADITYA KN

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
2016-02-02.png
I am getting that kind of error whenever i click on store button
Please someone help me to solve that problem and in behind screen you also can see that no icon is displaying at the place of this store button in task bar and a small gap is only showing if i click on that gap it will shows the above error.

Jonathan Stacey

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
Issue I created: I used Destroy Windows 10 Spying to "Delete all windows 10 metro apps"

Fix for me:
Take ownership of folder 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps'.

Give your windows user account and account 'ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES' full security permissions to folder 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps'.

Run powershell as administrator

type: Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted
press enter

Reinstall all apps:
type: Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register ?$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml?}
press enter

Remove the security permissions for your userid from 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps'.

Give ownership of folder 'C:\Programs Files\WindowsApps' back to 'NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller'.

MSyvret

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Hey all, not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I was able to fix the issue myself.
the problem was that UAC was disabled on my system. So I would recommend checking to see if it is turned on or not.
The built-in apps on win 10 require UAC to work (such as the store, Edge, Twitter)
Follow this link to see how to turn UAC on User Account Control (UAC) - Change Settings in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

hope that helps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes