NFC Payments. Not heard anything about this for ages.

Thomas Jordan

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I remember a few months ago a few articles mentioning how Microsoft was going to bring NFC payments with Windows 10. But not heard about this for a long time. With Apple pay out and Android pay coming very soon. Would love to know if we can expect to have this.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
When Softcard came to WP, i was super excited. I signed up, got all tingly in the nether regions.... I NEVER used it. Not once, besides McDs, did i have the chance to use it. Its a gimmick still, nothing that is needed. Hopefully MS kicks back and waits for bugs to be worked out then blows in with a game changer. Im still good having to swipe a card though, even though it takes SOOOOO long to do that. ;)

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I've not heard a single thing. I've tweeted the question to Gabe Aul but he didn't reply. I fear this whole mobile thing is going to die. Time for Android me thinks.
sent from TapTalk for Windows Phone

Thomas Jordan

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
It is a bit of a gimmick. However it is very useful. I know it is something I would use a lot. I see your point about them waiting till a lot of bugs maybe sorted out. However it is then just another reason people will leave or wont choose windows.

Thomas Jordan

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I've not heard a single thing. I've tweeted the question to Gabe Aul but he didn't reply. I fear this whole mobile thing is going to die. Time for Android me thinks.
sent from TapTalk for Windows Phone
I worry about that aswell. Every little feature that is missing is another nail in the coffin. That is something I don't want to see. Especially now with the whole windows 10 thing. If they do things right and focus more on some of these little features there will be a future for windows. And I don't just mean Windows Mobile.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand the problem... Tap to pay is linked to your MS payment options, which you can add or modify through your MS account...

Tap, pay, done.....

I've used it a number of times, no support needed...

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand the problem... Tap to pay is linked to your MS payment options, which you can add or modify through your MS account...

Tap, pay, done.....

Nope - I've got my visa linked in and I can't pay for things with my phone..

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Tap, pay, done.....

In what country? Certainly not in the US since Softcard was bought by Google.

I used Softcard on my Lumia Icon in the US for the short time it was available. However with that app-based implementation it was pretty useless and not much more convenient than a credit card. Had to take out the phone, unlock it, open the app, enter a PIN, swipe it.
Unless the implementation is at an OS level and works like Apple Pay, where no unlock is needed and you can just swipe while holding the fingerprint scanner, I might as well keep using my credit cards. Especially since mobile payments aren't yet accepted at nearly the number of merchants that credit cards are.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Where you can tap and pay?

On Windows 10 10512...

Settings>Devices> NFC

scroll to the botton you will see a "Tap to pay" option

Tap, pay, done.....

Wait, really ? Is this a Windows 10 Phone thing, or did this work in 8.1 ?

I'm calling BS on this one, I went into NFC on Windows 10 10512 on my ICON (I used SoftCard before when we had it) and enabled "Tap to Pay", it give Default payment app "None" and on Default payment card, it lists "Sim card"

I know some areas of the world can pay with a SIM card but, not here in the US...

There is no setting here that can use the Microsoft account for payment. I do have 2 credit cards on my Microsoft account and have a $50 or so credit in Microsoft $$...

None of those I can set up as a payment...

Prove me wrong, show me how to use it and set it up and I will go someplace tomorrow morning to test it...

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
WP 8.1 Tap to Pay requires that you obtain a secure SIM from your carrier. It can be done in the US, but carriers are not generally willing to give just anyone the secure SIM. I don't know why that is.

Still, even then, the Tap to Pay in 8.1 is not really worthwhile at this point. Too many steps, and it is easier to pull out a credit/debit card and swipe it.

There is supposed to be coming with Windows 10 for Mobile a new Tap to Pay that is "supposedly" 100% compatible with the way Apple Pay works. The reason we're not hearing about it is because Windows 10 for Mobile isn't out yet, and it may be one of those things that the phones need to hit the market first, then an update will occur to push out that will enable payments.

It is supposed to be a payment system that will no longer require a secure SIM, but it will require either a fingerprint scanner or an Iris scanner on the phone to be able to use it. That means you'll probably need a flagship.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
WP 8.1 Tap to Pay requires that you obtain a secure SIM from your carrier. It can be done in the US, but carriers are not generally willing to give just anyone the secure SIM. I don't know why that is.

Virtually all phones have secure SIMS these days (mine certainly does). That's not really the issue here. Are you saying that WP, after Softcard was discontinued, somehow still has mobile payments? Please show how, if that is the case.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
On Windows 10 10512...

Settings>Devices> NFC

scroll to the botton you will see a "Tap to pay" option

Wait, really ? Is this a Windows 10 Phone thing, or did this work in 8.1 ?

I'm calling BS on this one, I went into NFC on Windows 10 10512 on my ICON (I used SoftCard before when we had it) and enabled "Tap to Pay", it give Default payment app "None" and on Default payment card, it lists "Sim card"

I know some areas of the world can pay with a SIM card but, not here in the US...

There is no setting here that can use the Microsoft account for payment. I do have 2 credit cards on my Microsoft account and have a $50 or so credit in Microsoft $$...

None of those I can set up as a payment...

Prove me wrong, show me how to use it and set it up and I will go someplace tomorrow morning to test it...

Same here, I have that turned on, but I have never seen any way to actually use it after the Softcard app disappeared... unless it "just works" somehow.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Tap to pay on WP did work for a very short time, after Softcard released an app. This was also necessary for certain Android carrier branded phones, but the Android app was available for awhile.

Soon after the WP app was released, Softcard sold their technology to Google, and then Softcard shut their doors. The WP app soon left us. This left WP without a tap to pay solution, as it stands today, at least in the US.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon