Lots of apps now not opening

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Just in the last week or two, I've noticed lots of apps no longer working. I get the message "{app name} can't be opened. An app update may be available in the Store". Of course there's no update.

I've noticed this with these apps:

Bible, AP Mobile, Around Me, Best Buy, CellarTracker, CNET, Concur, DirectTV, ESPN, GasBuddy, GoPro, FlightAware, Flixter, to name a few. Most of these apps were working fairly recently.

Anybody know what has changed? This could be the event that makes me leave my Lumia 950 behind, but I'd rather not if this is fixable.

BobPro2

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
GasBuddy has not worked for some time, I just use the web site. same thing with ESPN and CNET. Flixter still works for me on my Lumia 950.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

Sometimes apps don't open because the phone's OS build version is not updated, or it's corrupted. To check if it's updated, go to Settings > Update and security > Windows Update > Check for updates.

If that wouldn't make any difference, please back up your files, then perform a hard reset. This will reset your device to factory settings.

Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you out further.

A "hard reset" can potentially make the situation worse by actually removing accessibility to apps one had on their phone, dependant on last time the user performed a hard reset. And no a backup is not going to guarantee they'll be retained.

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
As said, try a hard reset (but as a last resort). First, make sure the OS is the latest version and the Store apps are all updated too. Lots of the time, from my experience, when you open an app and it immediately closes there is usually an update waiting in the Store.

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
This was fixed for a couple of months, but now it's happening again. I did a soft reset, but it didn't help. I'm on 10.0.152544.556.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You think it’s bad now, wait a few weeks or months. Health is going dark after 5/31, Facebook and Messenger at the end of this month and who knows what else.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
You can try to reset the apps. Beyond that, don't know.

Time to move on though, with Facebook pulling their collection of apps, I think a few other services are going to follow suit. I changed just a little over a week ago, and as much as I'd prefer to still be on WP, there's no point.

heyanil673

Apr 7, 2019
Visit site
I think there will be some important files from your root which are missing and that's why your device is not completing the operation. You should try hard resetting or reinstalling the stock OS on your device and I'm pretty sure that this will help you.

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it has anything to do with apps being pulled. It's a bug, and it happened before, then suddenly, all apps worked. I don't want to do a hard reset at this point. None of the apps are that critical, just an annoyance.

It's not time to move on for me. I don't have a FB account, never have, couldn't care less about using my phone for social media. I use it for photos, videos, talking, texting, maps, and of course the web browser. All those things should continue to work even after support ends at the end of the year. I'm going to keep the 950 as long has it keeps working. It's the best phone I've ever had. The longer you keep it, the more it will become a fun conversation piece.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Like fair enough, if it still does what you want, but just saying, start looking for a plan B. The phone may still work, the battery might conk out sooner or later.

The browser is also limited in time, because i believe the mobile version is edgeHTML. There's basically going to be no future support for it with MS going chromium.

wincritter

May 19, 2019
Visit site
Like fair enough, if it still does what you want, but just saying, start looking for a plan B. The phone may still work, the battery might conk out sooner or later.

The browser is also limited in time, because i believe the mobile version is edgeHTML. There's basically going to be no future support for it with MS going chromium.

My plan B is the Microsoft super secret fold-able surface phone :).
That and my awesome Casio Cassiopeia Win CE device (which I can still browse on lol although it sure is limited not having like javascript and like html standards and stuff like that) .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2