1. melted_focus's Avatar
    Earlier this week, my less than 90 day old suffered an apparently self-induced meltdown (pics below).

    The problem started when the phone started repeatedly making the sound that you make when you plug it in to charge or sync it. The phone was not plugged in at the time.

    First I unlocked the phone and found that it seemed to be fully functional, but the repeated tone continued - almost as if there was some type of internal short which caused the phone to think it was being plugging and unplugged over and over. I rebooted the phone, thinking that might resolve the issue. After a few seconds up returning to the lock screen, the repeating tone started again.

    I unlocked the phone again and noticed that the battery indicator icon was sort of flickering each time the tone sounded. Hmmm, maybe plugging the phone into the Samsung wall charger will help. Plugging the phone in did stop the repeating tones, but after ~30 seconds I smelled a strong smell that smelled like burning electronics.

    I picked up the phone, realized that was where the smell was coming from, and quickly unplugged it. After doing so, I noticed that the USB/charge port in the phone was melted, as was the male end of the Samsung USB cable.

    I took the phone to my local AT&T corporate store - they had not seen or were aware of a related issue. Since I've had the phone more than 30 days, I was not eligible for an in-store exchange.

    The AT&T rep that I was working with gave me paperwork for the AT&T Device Service Center (DSC) in town, and told me that they'd likely be able to take care of my phone under warranty.

    I went to the AT&T DSC and relayed the above story to them. After speaking with a technician, supervisor, and manager I was told that they had no record or service bulletins related to the issue. As a result, they could not warranty my phone. The manager told me that my phone fell into the "damaged phone" category, which is not covered by the warranty.

    I argued that the damage which occurred to the phone was not due to my negligence (i.e., dropped it in a toilet, ran over it with my truck, etc) , but because I simply plugged it in. To no avail - my Focus was a "damaged phone which was not eligible for warrantly repair or replacement".

    The manager said that I had two options - contact the AT&T warranty department who could "assist" me with a replacement phone, but would charge my account the full, no-contract price or submit an insurance claim with AT&T, pay the deductible, and get a "like-new" replacement phone.

    I am currently awaiting a phone call from a supervisor with the AT&T warranty department, who is to contact me within 24-48 hours.

    This sucks...

    Last edited by melted_focus; 03-03-2011 at 07:56 AM.
    03-02-2011 10:20 PM
  2. CJ Thunder's Avatar
    Looks like a fire hazard, AT&T would be smart to replace and look into the issue with Samsung.
    03-03-2011 01:31 AM
  3. HeyCori's Avatar
    File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. It's free and there's a good chance you might get a new phone without paying.
    03-03-2011 06:58 AM
  4. cdook's Avatar
    Doesn't Samsung offer a 180 day or year warranty? I'd try giving them a call. In your case I don't think you should have to pay for another phone...
    03-03-2011 10:53 AM
  5. action_efn_jackson's Avatar
    Pretty sure ATT offers a 1 yr warrant themselves on new hardware.
    03-03-2011 12:05 PM
  6. Simirob's Avatar
    My Focus gets very warm at the usb charge port. I also got the repeated tone while the phone was plugged in. The phone stopped making the tone when unplugged. The next time i tried to sync the phone vis usb cable to laptop i got an "UNKNOWN DEVICE" message.

    I called Samsung to fix the sync issue with no progress. Samsung told me to contact AT&T for warranty issue. AT&T Customer Service went over all the typical reasons that it was my fault. When I assured them i did not drop,drive over or throw in the pool. The rep. asked if my phone had a sd card in it? Yep the one that the salesperson at the AT&T put in.

    The tech put me one hold for a minute and returned to tell me my warranty was now void and I was on my own to get the phone fixed.
    03-28-2011 05:38 PM
  7. Nophix's Avatar
    You guys must be dealing with some bad luck. I had the exact same thing happen to one of my Captivates, and the Warranty Dept even overnighted the new phone for free.

    Actually, they were very pleasant to deal with over the course of the Captivate issues. It was warrantied 9 times from September to March. I finally asked for a different device, was offered the Winmo phones, and took the HTC Surround. Couldn't be happier.

    I'm now using the Focus we got for my wife, because she decided she likes the HTC better, and so far no issues. I'm a little uneasy with it, though, simply because of the track record Samsung and I have.
    03-29-2011 05:48 AM
  8. cdook's Avatar
    @Simirob why did they tell you your warranty was void? What part of the story was the issue. I don't get it...
    03-29-2011 10:51 AM
  9. dtboos's Avatar
    Are those your pictures? Because I remember those exact pictures being published on BGR ect a few weeks ago.


    03-29-2011 01:36 PM
  10. IamNabil's Avatar
    You folks do seem to have a hard time with customer service. It has always been super wasy for me to get whatever I need from AT&T.
    04-12-2011 10:03 AM
  11. dtboos's Avatar
    I don't think this story was true (see my above post). He still hasn't posted anything since, and his handle seems specifically made to post this story.
    04-12-2011 10:46 AM