Hard drive destroyed after Windows 10, anyone else?

r4v

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes my WD 500 GB [...]This fairly new drive, strange.

No, it's not strange. It's WD.

And to the OP: if your laptop can't see HDD it's probably dead. You can pull it out and check in other computer or with USB-SATA cable. And no software has anything to do with it, HDDs are dying. Even more often than few years ago.

dr_smackdab

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
The Windows preview doesn't have a glitch that eats your hard drive or anything like that. Installing a new operating system is taxing on your hard drive, so if your drive already weak, the install could have put it over the edge.

Perhaps not the entire drive, but in my case the upgrade certainly corrupted the GPT. 3 month old drive running perfectly prior to upgrade, disk visible in bios and device manager. but w10 was unable to mount or assign a drive letter. Don't be so quick to dismiss this.

Last edited:

drusome

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm so disappointed with Windows 10 so far. I installed it on a separate hard drive from my win 7 drive to make sure there would be no problems and it still found a way to scan and corrupt that Win 7 drive! I've spent all night trying to fix it with the win 7 RE but no joy. I use enterprise class drives and scan them regularly. While I do realize that drives can go bad, there were no issues before I installed W10. There are an awful lot of posts reporting hard drive corruption with Windows 10 right now. What did Microsoft do differently here? Why did they release a product that is breaking working drives? I will give it another chance because I have to. I'm sure in time it will be a good product, but Microsoft lost the chance to win back some goodwill with this release.

primalmaverick

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I installed Win 10 and it killed 3 external hard drives (2 tb, 4 tb, and a 5 tb) one after another because I when one crashed i had to get a bigger drive in order to do tthe long, tedious, and laborious job of data recovery after they crashed. Everytime I had managed to recover MOST of my hard drive onto another, even bigger, hard drive it would fail and all data was lost and had to be recovered AGAIN! After the 3rd attempt at it I thought perhaps it was my computer (Sony Vaio TAP 20) that was the problem so I bought a brand new Dell XPS 13 that came with Windows 8 ....I turned it on it was working great then as soon as I allowed it to do all the updates that come with a new computer (including upgrading to Win 10) when it went to reboot itself all of a sudden the hard drive could not be recognized. MICROSOFT YOU OWE ME ABOUT 2k IN HARDWARE YOU DESTROYED NOT TO MENTION A LIFETIME OF MEMORIES LOST ON THOSE HARD DRIVES ! I was a die hard windows supporter until this... Im taking this to a professional technition and then to my lawer to discuss a class action law suit! Who else is on board!?!

kpalamel

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
My computer also got the free upgrade and after exactly a month later, my computer died, now saying no boot device found. After trying various options including system recovery disk, windows 7 and windows 10 on a USB didn't do the trick to boot the system. Makes no sense. I think it was a bad idea to use their free version. May be it is to force us to buy new PC. Otherwise how so many perfectly working computers can go wrong so fast, that too exactly 31 days after the upgrade, when going back to Windows 7 was no longer an option! Class action anyone?

kpalamel

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I have same problem. Microsoft is trying to make us buy new PC after killing our hard drives. NO other reasons as far as I know. NO coincidence at all. Everyone, please do NOT upgrade to windows 10.

Zaraki9

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded from windows 8 to 10 with free upgrade and after getting error messages about kernel issue, now I'm getting hard disk drive error and prompting data back up to replace hard disk drive as hard disk drive replace is imminent. Windows should fix this. I demand a replacement! otherwise this will go viral and it's going to be a big loss after failure and failure of windows updates..

Martin Allen1

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
3 hard drives completely totalled within 24 hours of installing windows 10. 2 separate installs and one was a completely new drive. Windows 7 worked fine.

Mike Gauntner

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I was running Windows XP Pro on a Dell Optiplex. It was working just fine. I "upgraded" to Windows 10
It seemed to work fine for a couple of weeks until we had a power outage at the home on Monday, October 12.

When the power came back on, I turned on the power of the PC. Instead of booting up to windows, the cursor flashed. I hit enter and the screen read something about repairing the hard drive.
Since it looked like it would take a while to cycle through (from 0% to 100%) I walked away.
When I returned and rebooted it began going through the bios screen but I got this message.
==
A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart
===
After doing that a few times and getting the same result, I pushed F12 during the Bios process.
On the Boot Device Menu I ran diagnostics for the hard drive and got the following message:
==
Drive 0: ST32584110AS - Fail. Return Code: 7
--Reason Code: B9FVB91PTFE
Drive 1: No Device
Drive 2: HL-BT-ST DVD+/-RW GWA416B ?Diagnostics not supported
Drive 3: No device
==
I tried this several times and got the same result.
Since I recently replaced the power supply, I checked all the plugs to make sure they were tight, but got the same results.
I even put in the old power supply with the bad fan and tried that, but got the same results.
When I originally got the computer from you I made a CD repair disk and tried to boot it from that and got this message:
===
A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart
===
I have since replaced the hard drive with Windows XP Pro and it works just fine.
I won't be "upgrading" to Windows 10.

Scott310

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
This happened to me as well. I have an SSD drive and a storage drive. After upgrading to windows 10 it would not let me access my D: Drive and said that I needed to reformat it. I had a lot of data on it and knew that I would lose all of it. I used Stellar Data Recovery Software and was able to retrieve all of my data of of the drive and onto an external drive. After doing so I did a reformat of the D: drive and it works fine. However after the upgrade I get some random clicks from the drive which are a little concerning...

chuck77083

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
The same thing happened to me. I left my PC to install that stupid windows 10 update and now when my computer tryst to start up nothing happens. So I ran the diagnosis and it does not detect my hard drive!!! I'm pissed. I Paid 1200 for this lap top about 2 years ago and it was working just fine

msvmaier

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 destroyed my registry. Ckdsk repaired the disk and reported no bad sectors, only problem is that all the program files are there but the OS can't find them. Took the HD out just in case my back-up fails and I need the files someday. Took the PC outside and beat it with a sledge hammer. Really. Went back inside and sold my "fully valued' Microsoft stock, took my 1500% capital gain... and bought an iMac. I feel so clean...and vindicated. PCs have literally tortured me since 1985. I feel so clean. :grin::winktongue::evil:

Freaky Hacker

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
This is not a serious issue. Happened with my old computer when i upgraded to windows 10. My new one i had less than 24 hours brand new. Just reset the same way after a mysterious you need to confirm your identity notification popped up and i clicked it because why not it is windows right? DO NOT CLICK THE NOTIFICATION. I almost lost this HDD already, the same thing that happened to my old pc. I am about to go instal 8.1 again because i don't have 400$ to keep shelling out for a new pc all because windows wont fix a major issue. My conclusion? DON'T US WINDOWS 10 OR YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR HDD!!!

Sea Rothert

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I fix computers for a hobby and have received two phone calls within one week experiencing the same problem.

Both users recently updated their computers to Windows 10 and both hard drives failed -- I could neither repair it with a bootable device nor reset to factory defaults while 'saving user files'.

Correlation does not imply causation -- however, in this instance it looks like to be the exception and not the rule.

On the bright side, it's more money for me, right?

Gabriel-UFO

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I have same problem, windows 10 pro x64 was destroyed my two old HDD now i use WDC WD10EZEX 1T. This is one of the best HDD and it crash, sometime i must restart the system, sometime can't accept USB HD, can't run xbox 360 for pc joypad. My motherboard is new ( Asus Z170 deluxe ) this motherboard is compatible for new SSD M.2 X32 ( SAMSUNG evo 950 pro ). I am scary buy it and instal windows 10 to this SSD because it price is around 350 euro + 150 euro for windows 10. My pc was investment 2.500 euro. I'm afraid to ruin it with this system, PLEASE MICROSOFT solve the problem.

ldpatterson79

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I downloaded Windows 10 yesterday and now today my computer turned off-and came back on with a black screen asking me to put a disk in to load or something. I had no problems with my laptop before that on Windows 7, so I attribute it to the download.:angry:

Code5150

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone

I have been in Microsoft Hell for 4 days, It destroyed (3) drives. I did find that before it says "in accessible" there is a pop up that says detected threat, also I rebooted while swapping the sata cables it sees it then after awhile same problem then it won't even see the drive...I found though that if install the drive into a XP pro Machine and don't let it scan and fix you can see the drive and back it up. Also noticed that 7 Ultimate did the same thing after 10 did it's thing. I believe that Microsoft is behind it for what ever reason.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte