Windows 8.1 update on AT&T unlocked phones?

Aashu2729

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I plan to buy a Lumia 920 device / WP8 device, from ebay, which they claim is an AT&T OR T Mobile unlocked phone.... (for my options)

I plan to use this in India, over the Vodafone GSM 3G Network.

My worry is, if I buy this device, will it see or upgrade to the new Windows 8.1 update, rolling out this April end?

My two cents:
1) Unlocked Phones - are only free from the Service Provider Network. Most mobile phone companies install special ?locking? software on their phones that prevents them from being used with any other network?s SIM card. Not sure if that effects the upgrades.....

2) Microsoft claims that all WP8 devices will see the 8.1 update ... will this unlocked guy see it?

May major interest buying this device the Windows 8.1 update/features..

Could someone suggest, if it would be wise to buy this deal?

Appreciate your time!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Your unlocked phone is NOT unbranded and will still be beholden to ATT to push any official update.

If we could unbrand our phones it would be the holy grail.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It may help a little. But I had a Lumia 920 dev phone from Nokia (factory unlocked and handed out at a Microosoft conference). It is always the last to get update, even behind AT&T for every release in the past.

jobinthomas

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
So I have a ATT 920 that I use on Tmobile. It still got the GDR2 Amber and the GDR3 Black update when they were provided by ATT. Now if you are doing the developer preview, you will still get it and that is controlled only by Microsoft and I did get GDR3 software using the dev preview before getting the ATT released GDR3 black update.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Dimi Boy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
you will get the update unlocked not unlocked you will get it ... nokia says it rolls it by area but I think its not just that its certain phones and carriers ..In the end it always feels like you are the last one to get an update and honestly its always a long wait .ive always have waited for months and months . is it worth it being last yeah it does you skip all the issues along the way and everything that hasn't been polished .. I have a att phone unlocked using it on tmobile for more then yearh and a half .. the start was veery rough .. the internet was slower I wasn't able to receive pix .. then they sent an update and everything started workin perfect on tmobil.. no I wonder if I will be alive to see my phone running the sooo famous Cortana just so I can ask her when is the next update coming haaah next year same time ..that will be like the end of the summer .. my handset can not survive no more I can feel the battery draining faster and faster .. I was doing a Skype video call and that overheated my phone so badly so I think its acting out since then

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing. So you are saying an unlocked phone used on another carrier in another country will still get updates? I bought my mother a lumia 925 and got it unlocked to use overseas. I am not sure if she will still receive updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon