Mobile data unavailable to Notification Centre??

tofurice

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Just updated to WP8.1 but the much anticipated notification bar turns out to be a bit of a disappointment as it does not allow me to turn on and off mobile data :( Does anyone know if the mobile data switch is going to be added when WP8.1 is officially released?

VRocker88

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I was disappointed to see this missing too. It's pretty much the only toggle that isn't listed and you'd think it would be the most common! I hope it comes with the official release

Glad Bernard

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Yeah ! I was expecting to see this option after the upgrade but it looks like that feature has not made it to the dev preview release :shocked:
Hope they add it in an update soon !

cproof

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I also hope that they will add this option soon since this is quite frankly the option I would need the most. :straight:

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft took 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. Better than last time but ...

1) Why remove features ?
2) Why STILL not include obvious features?

ojo otter

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
In the official update I think they will include it, I don't think they included it is because your carrier needs to agree with the different way of setting? Changing mobile data can be dangerous. it depends on your carrier when you officially update it.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft took 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. Better than last time but ...

1) Why remove features ?
2) Why STILL not include obvious features?

1) What have they removed?
2) You do know you're running preview software, right?

I hadn't actually noticed that mobile network was missing as I don't know anyone who switches mobile data on and off all the time, but what frustrates me is that half the toggles aren't actually toggles - e.g. WiFi is just a shortcut to the WiFi settings panel whilst Bluetooth is a toggle. Why the difference?

xuggs

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Wifi is also a toggle but only when you want to switch it on. When it's already turned ON and you press it, it will take you to the list of Wifi AP, I am guessing they wanted it this way in case you wanted to switch to a different AP.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Wifi is also a toggle but only when you want to switch it on. When it's already turned ON and you press it, it will take you to the list of Wifi AP, I am guessing they wanted it this way in case you wanted to switch to a different AP.

Ahh, I see... Makes sense I suppose. Slightly annoying from the perspective that mot of the time I want to turn WiFi off quickly because the phone has automatically connected to a WiFi hotspot slower than my mobile connection!

tofurice

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I agree. It's a bit strange how you can't turn off wifi by simply tapping the button but I guess it makes sense because there are often more than just one wifi hotspots available. Still, it is a bit inconvenient since most of the time all I want to do is just turn it off rather than switch to another hotspot.

Ahh, I see... Makes sense I suppose. Slightly annoying from the perspective that mot of the time I want to turn WiFi off quickly because the phone has automatically connected to a WiFi hotspot slower than my mobile connection!

tofurice

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Also very disappointed that its not there.
Pretty much the only toggle I was looking forward to, since I'm using a limited plan.

Same. I only get 500MB per month so I only turn on mobile data when I need to, it also helps save battery. What annoys me is that they even added features like VPN and NFC to the notification centre, which I will probaly never use, yet left out the one thing that so many people needed the most!

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree. It's a bit strange how you can't turn off wifi by simply tapping the button but I guess it makes sense because there are often more than just one wifi hotspots available. Still, it is a bit inconvenient since most of the time all I want to do is just turn it off rather than switch to another hotspot.

Indeed, same!

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Same. I only get 500MB per month so I only turn on mobile data when I need to, it also helps save battery. What annoys me is that they even added features like VPN and NFC to the notification centre, which I will probaly never use, yet left out the one thing that so many people needed the most!

It frustrates me that people use phrases like these. I bet the vast majority of people don't ever bother to think about turning off mobile data - I never did when I was on a 500mb plan...

You're also not using final software, it's likely that this can probably be included somewhere along the way of enough people actually tell Microsoft they want it.

tofurice

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
It frustrates me that people use phrases like these. I bet the vast majority of people don't ever bother to think about turning off mobile data - I never did when I was on a 500mb plan...

You're also not using final software, it's likely that this can probably be included somewhere along the way of enough people actually tell Microsoft they want it.

I don't see why it should frustrate you as all that I am saying is that people should be given the OPTION to turn on and off mobile data with ease - and from what I can gather a lot of people do want keep their mobile data off when not in use. I in no way wanted to force this habit onto anybody.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why it should frustrate you as all that I am saying is that people should be given the OPTION to turn on and off mobile data with ease - and from what I can gather a lot of people do want keep their mobile data off when not in use. I in no way wanted to force this habit onto anybody.

The option is not what frustrated me. Phrases like "miss out an option that most people need the most" frustrates me, because quite frankly, most users probably don't even think about it, let alone "need" it. Even if the entirety of this forums members needed it, we'd still be a minority against the entire user base.

By all means, the option would be very useful and it's a great suggestion, but it's certainly not worthy of the absolutes you are describing it by. It would be a nice to have for those people who feel the need to regularly turn off mobile data, which lets face it is something modern smartphones are designed to have permanently switched on.

If they'd forgotten to include the ability to have a messaging tile, then you could almost definitely argue that they had missed something most people need.

tofurice

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Let's get the facts straight. You are the only person in this thread that has ever referred to the phrase "most people need the most". Also I don't understand why you tried so hard to base your argument on statistics when you don't have any real data on users' preferences.

The option is not what frustrated me. Phrases like "miss out an option that most people need the most" frustrates me, because quite frankly, most users probably don't even think about it, let alone "need" it. Even if the entirety of this forums members needed it, we'd still be a minority against the entire user base.

By all means, the option would be very useful and it's a great suggestion, but it's certainly not worthy of the absolutes you are describing it by. It would be a nice to have for those people who feel the need to regularly turn off mobile data, which lets face it is something modern smartphones are designed to have permanently switched on.

If they'd forgotten to include the ability to have a messaging tile, then you could almost definitely argue that they had missed something most people need.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa