[Guide] Installing WP 8.1 Update 2 on Lumia Devices**

ca_guri

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Last edited:

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
If you have the official Denim firmware from MS then you get the prompt to install Update 2 automatically once you enroll in W10TP through Insider. Have you tried that already? If not make sure you first uncheck "automatic download updates" under settings to auto download W10 after Update 2.

I havent had a chance to try anything yet but I will be trying it today. To get the update 2 after Denim
Install windows insider which will update to update 2 and then uncheck auto update to stop getting windows 10.
Will this suffice or any precautions to be taken to make sure than win 10 doesnt load?

Cheers

Never Mind
. It is all done and the dust has settled. i can confirm that Update 2 is installed and I wont be looking at windows 10 as it has already checked for updates and it sees nothing. :)

For those still curious and have Denim installed Please back up your device before you attempt anything and read on.....

1. Install windows Insider app and sign up the fast track for installing win 10
2. go to settings and uncheck "automatically download updates if data settings allow it" and check for updates
3. It will show you that updates are available. Tap on more details before you do anything..
4. So phones are meant to get Update 2 while going for win 10 TP and some go direct. If the version number shows 8.1.xxxx.xx then you will be gettings update 2 and if it shows 10.x.xx.xx then you are meant to egt W10TP direct. So choose now to turn back or go ahead.
5. If you choose getting win 10 Jump to "7." if not read further. If you choose to get the update2 tap download button, go back to the apps list and uninstall windows insider right away or atleast before the install of update 2 begins..
6. After uninstall of windows insider go back to the phone updates page and hit install which will prompt a reboot and you get update 2 without windows 10.
Although this method worked for me on my 1020 it is not garunteed that it will stop here and not install W10.

7. If you have windows 10 in sight read further if not jump to 8. For windows 10 TP just hit install, regardless of which update version you are looking at it will end up with installing W10 TP. Please ensure you have selected the "automatically download option" or check for updates manually.

8. In case your device is heading direct to W10 TP and you dont need this to happen. Uninstall windows insider and hard reset your device or let the installation complete and this use the recovery tool to roll back to win8.1.
Please Beware If the device shows update is available it will be force installed after a few days even if you postpone installation.

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking about getting the 5 columns on the 830? - Make sure you add entries like this exactly --- I believe you probably forgot to select under the Type box "Integer - DWORD -32bit...
nope, thanks for making sure I haven't forgotten anything. (I've done this many times over on other phones). It's exactly what it should be but I do not get any changes in columns....
​good to know it should work. I will keep trying.

edit. OK, I actually had it but expected to see a change in tiles on main screen. I did have 5 columns all along - duh...
can't open facebook app after this though, just crashes.
edit: uninstall and reinstall works

Last edited:

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
just tried this as well. I am getting stuck at step 12A in which the rombuilder app should create a backup of OEMSettings.reg. I never get that even though it says successful

edit: ok, after a reboot, it does save the file. now following next steps...done, last step is hard reset - hmm. will have to wait with that until I have time....
Looking at your post I assume I will not see any interop unlock features as well...

I got as far as rebuilding the oemsettings.reg file w/ the additional settings.reg file and renaming it to data.bin. Yet rombuilder keeps saying it fails once I put the data.bin file in the Data folder. Dunno wth I'm doing wrong...since i got it to work on the 635....which didn't have a pre-data.bin file like my 1520

JithinPrasad

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I havent had a chance to try anything yet but I will be trying it today. To get the update 2 after Denim
Install windows insider which will update to update 2 and then uncheck auto update to stop getting windows 10.
Will this suffice or any precautions to be taken to make sure than win 10 doesnt load?

Cheers

Never Mind
. It is all done and the dust has settled. i can confirm that Update 2 is installed and I wont be looking at windows 10 as it has already checked for updates and it sees nothing. :)

For those still curious and have Denim installed Please back up your device before you attempt anything and read on.....

1. Install windows Insider app and sign up the fast track for installing win 10
2. go to settings and uncheck "automatically download updates if data settings allow it" and check for updates
3. It will show you that updates are available. Tap on more details before you do anything..
4. So phones are meant to get Update 2 while going for win 10 TP and some go direct. If the version number shows 8.1.xxxx.xx then you will be gettings update 2 and if it shows 10.x.xx.xx then you are meant to egt W10TP direct. So choose now to turn back or go ahead.
5. If you choose getting win 10 Jump to "7." if not read further. If you choose to get the update2 tap download button, go back to the apps list and uninstall windows insider right away or atleast before the install of update 2 begins..
6. After uninstall of windows insider go back to the phone updates page and hit install which will prompt a reboot and you get update 2 without windows 10.
Although this method worked for me on my 1020 it is not garunteed that it will stop here and not install W10.

7. If you have windows 10 in sight read further if not jump to 8. For windows 10 TP just hit install, regardless of which update version you are looking at it will end up with installing W10 TP. Please ensure you have selected the "automatically download option" or check for updates manually.

8. In case your device is heading direct to W10 TP and you dont need this to happen. Uninstall windows insider and hard reset your device or let the installation complete and this use the recovery tool to roll back to win8.1.
Please Beware If the device shows update is available it will be force installed after a few days even if you postpone installation.

To get Windows Phone Update 2 before Windows 10 Insider your OS Version should be 8.10.14234.375
nd not 8.10.14219.341 OR 8.10.14226.359
If its 14219 or 14226 your phone will directly be updated to Windows 10 TP through Insider app.
14234 updates you first to Update 2.
Applicable to all Devices.. (LUMIA)

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
possibly a problem with the created data.bin file? I will upload mine as soon as I get home. It's a nested save within 7-zip when you copy and paste, maybe something went wrong there. Otherwise, there is really no room for misinterpreting the directions given, right?

Oh that would be cool.

Yea I tried it again last night...rombuilder still says it failed..after I edit the OEM file and rename it to data.bin. Lol

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Uhh..guys I think you should open another thread for this so it doesn't confuse other folks reading this thread...sorry.

I agree its looking like a maze in here for people who just want update 2. Great ideas and tweaks though but its just a post that gets people on update 2.

anon5641063

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Loving this update guide, thanks for putting it together. I went through the steps, everything worked as expected. I'm not sure if there is any reason to keep the PfD installed.

reglu

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I have installed with your trick GDR2 8.10.15137.148 on my Lumia 620. Everything works fine. THANKS!!!
My question: is any possibillity to install GDR2 version 8.10.15148.160???

reglu

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Actually if you want to re-brand your device and go back to AT&T's firmware then just set the following registry entries:

PhoneMobileOperatorName >> ATT-US
PhoneManufacturerModelName >> RM-975_1035

Hello, I have installed with your trick GDR2 8.10.15137.148 on my Lumia 620. Everything works fine. THANKS!!!

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

For that I'll have to figure out the phone that's currently receiving only the OS update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2