09-08-2012 12:31 AM
41 12
tools
    Now DON'T get me wrong...I'm asking as the first impressions sink in. It was all a hush-hush event, don't you think so??

Yes, they showcased a lot of things...but, over all, the does the device "have what it takes" to dethrone the competition. Is it truely "flagship" as they are saying?

Honest, unsarcastic and unbiased words will surely be apprecited.

I like it, but somewhere, the sheen of the Lumia 800/900 is missing. A little, you know.
    Last edited by XENOPHOS; 09-05-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    09-05-2012 12:55 PM
    Is it a flagship? Sure, it is a flagship.

Will they compete with the competition? Sure, they can compete, but they will not move the market as many wp owners hope. It surely isn't happening this year or next year and perhaps beyond.

As much as people hold on to the notion that "you do not need high end specs to have a wp work great", realistically, phones are a spec war, you need the highest end specs to compete. The more powerful a phone, the more people will think it will do more and work faster. Whether that is the case or not, doesn't matter, what matters is what is on paper. Secondly, apps, app marketplace needs to be on par in terms of the must have apps with other platforms, they are not there yet and there is no certainty they will get there this year or next. I've seen announcements like chase, paypal, angry birds, but haven't see anything yet.

The lumia 920 coming out with standard specs at this point, are competing with standards that have been around for a year or so now. If they want to create a wave of excitement, they need to beat the specs, it doesnt have to be a lot, but at least match and beat.

I'd say, market share will be gained, but not at a fast rate, will be a distant 3rd for at least a year IMO.
    X0LARIUM, aubreyq and Old_Cus like this.
    09-05-2012 01:06 PM

Will they compete with the competition? Sure, they can compete, but they will not move the market as many wp owners hope. It surely isn't happening this year or next year and perhaps beyond.

As much as people hold on to the notion that "you do not need high end specs to have a wp work great", realistically, phones are a spec war, you need the highest end specs to compete. The more powerful a phone, the more people will think it will do more and work faster. Whether that is the case or not, doesn't matter, what matters is what is on paper. Secondly, apps, app marketplace needs to be on par in terms of the must have apps with other platforms, they are not there yet and there is no certainty they will get there this year or next. I've seen announcements like chase, paypal, angry birds, but haven't see anything yet.

The lumia 920 coming out with standard specs at this point, are competing with standards that have been around for a year or so now. If they want to create a wave of excitement, they need to beat the specs, it doesnt have to be a lot, but at least match and beat.

I'd say, market share will be gained, but not at a fast rate, will be a distant 3rd for at least a year IMO.
    awesome reply. Thanks man. Much appreciated.
    09-05-2012 01:08 PM
    I think the 920 will be my next phone but I don't think it's particularly competitive - when a consumer walks into a store, I think they will look over and see that lumia thing that decided not to buy last year running that windows thingy they were not interested in.

I think WP8 will end up as a distant third like DKP23 will end up as a distant third and that's only because RIM is so dysfunctional that they will fail to get BB10 off the ground.
    Last edited by cgk1; 09-05-2012 at 01:32 PM.
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    09-05-2012 01:16 PM
    My question is, where are the equivalent threads for the Samsung Ativ? Why arent the same questions being asked about that device?
    09-05-2012 01:18 PM

Good analysis. The specs finally match the competition, and if wp8 turns out to be as fast as some believe it will be, speed and smooth will attract a lot of attention. I think it is a flagship device.
    09-05-2012 01:20 PM
    Good analysis. The specs finally match the competition, and if wp8 turns out to be as fast as some believe it will be, speed and smooth will attract a lot of attention. I think it is a flagship device.
    Er...I don't think he meant that. In fact the opposite. Specs are old.

Sent from my DROID RaZr.
    09-05-2012 01:24 PM
    My question is, where are the equivalent threads for the Samsung Ativ? Why arent the same questions being asked about that device?
    Doesn't the lack of threads answer that question for you?
    09-05-2012 01:33 PM
    Er...I don't think he meant that. In fact the opposite. Specs are old.

Sent from my DROID RaZr.
    ER, I got what he meant. In fact the specs match the SG3, One X and other top phones, they are not old.
    09-05-2012 01:54 PM
    Doesn't the lack of threads answer that question for you?
    Doesnt give the reason why, no. It's been a Nokia bash-fest for the past few days with all the leaks we've had.

And lets compare to the newest android flagship, which doesnt even come with the latest version that OS: http://gizmodo.com/5940661/motorola-...-coat-updating. So which one looks more like a flagship?
    Last edited by theefman; 09-05-2012 at 02:36 PM.
    X0LARIUM and cckgz4 like this.
    09-05-2012 02:14 PM
    Sure it's a flagship phone. I'm rocking the current Android flagship (GS3) and its a pretty boring design and if that's a flagship, so is the 920. (The Ativ is too!)
    09-05-2012 03:19 PM
    The marketing will determine if it's a flagship device or not.
    09-05-2012 04:03 PM
    If they had gone with the classier matte finish of the black and blue 900, I'd be a lot more likely to say yes. Glossy plastic looks like crap though and is almost an automatic dealbreaker all by itself for me.

If I want glossy plastic junk, Samsung has mountains of it. I expect better from Nokia. I hope they go back to the matte finish by the time I'm ready for my next phone. :dry
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    09-05-2012 05:25 PM
    Apparently The Verge says it's definitely a flagship device.
    Nokia Lumia 920 hands-on preview, pictures and video | The Verge

Joshua Topolsky even tweeted the following:
    Nokia's Lumia 920 announced. I've played with it. It might be the nicest phone hardware I've held
    09-05-2012 07:01 PM
    If they had gone with the classier matte finish of the black and blue 900, I'd be a lot more likely to say yes. Glossy plastic looks like crap though and is almost an automatic dealbreaker all by itself for me.

If I want glossy plastic junk, Samsung has mountains of it. I expect better from Nokia. I hope they go back to the matte finish by the time I'm ready for my next phone. :dry
    Lol!!
    Correct correct...I too felt so. This might,like just one tiny bit might, push me towards Samsung...just might.

I think HTC IS my last resort now..

Sent from my DROID RaZr.
    09-05-2012 10:06 PM
    Let's not kid ourselves. The Lumia 920 has specs that will match HTC and Samsung (it is the EXACT same SoC as their US-spec) until the Galaxy S IV and next gen HTC devices hit next spring. It has a camera that is best in class, and has a screen with a best in class resolution.
    scottcraft likes this.
    09-05-2012 10:55 PM
    Apparently The Verge says it's definitely a flagship device.
    Nokia Lumia 920 hands-on preview, pictures and video | The Verge

Joshua Topolsky even tweeted the following:
    Nokia's Lumia 920 announced. I've played with it. It might be the nicest phone hardware I've held
    well the verge also says this:

Lumia 920 PureView trailer was filmed with a different camera, Nokia apologizes for the confusion -- Engadget

and believe me, its a MAJOR screw up...
    09-05-2012 11:12 PM
    And what does that have to do with it being a flagship phone?
    09-06-2012 12:24 AM
    And what does that have to do with it being a flagship phone?
    If Verge calls it a flagship phone on one hand, they are also quick to point out where it failed. That's all..
    09-06-2012 12:34 AM
    If Verge calls it a flagship phone on one hand, they are also quick to point out where it failed. That's all..
    The marketing department failed.

Nothing to do with the device itself, which they tried and loved.
    cckgz4 and snowmutt like this.
    09-06-2012 12:58 AM
    The marketing department failed.

Nothing to do with the device itself, which they tried and loved.
    No, the production house, hand in glove with the ad agency failed. #EPIC failed.
    09-06-2012 01:09 AM
    Well, I noticed a huge positive buzz about the ATIV, short of it's name. You will find negative comments, but the threads (and there were quit a few in the days following it's 4 or 5 minute introduction) were mostly positive and excited. We are just happy that Samsung designed a handset that had a few new wrinkles to it for WP 8 and wasn't just a pure GS3 rehash. It had a different chassis and they talked about it being an "exciting" part of the Windows and Samsung ecosystem. That is good stuff compared to how little they promoted their Focus line of devices.

Besides, I think we have gotten to the point where we hold Nokia to a higher standard. We EXPECT a full fledged Hero device from them, and a set of devices that will propel WP to new sales levels in 2013.

We are just glad Samsung didn't follow LG's lead.
    09-06-2012 01:15 AM
    sharpest looking device on the market IMO... unless you like the tired old "look like every other touchscreen" phones
    09-06-2012 02:49 AM
    Yes, it is a flagship phone and it looks the part. Thankfully they offer two colors in matte, but regardless, it's a flagship phone.

Interestingly, several Android users I know on two other forums are expressing interest in this device. This may be better than the Ativ S and the HTC 8X (which I assume will basically be the One X with WP8) for poaching people from Android, because it's so different aesthetically and technologically (OIS) from what they have.
    09-06-2012 02:58 AM
    Yes, it is a flagship phone and it looks the part. Thankfully they offer two colors in matte, but regardless, it's a flagship phone.

Interestingly, several Android users I know on two other forums are expressing interest in this device. This may be better than the Ativ S and the HTC 8X (which I assume will basically be the One X with WP8) for poaching people from Android, because it's so different aesthetically and technologically (OIS) from what they have.
    matt?? the new Lumias? what colour is matt? I only see the glossy plastic in yellow..
    09-06-2012 03:31 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD