Secure Wifi Connection Problems

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I tried mine today on our wireless and managed to connect I noticed that there was a option for Valid Certificate which was set to off so not sure if the Network Team have done something to the LAN to enable this option.

arzoo

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Our corporate WiFi uses PEAP, but the cert is self-signed (no CA). My original WP7 Focus was able to connect but no luck with a Titan or currently my 920.

li2012

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Our corporate WiFi uses PEAP, but the cert is self-signed (no CA). My original WP7 Focus was able to connect but no luck with a Titan or currently my 920.

I have the same issue. My old WP7 Focus has no problem. Not sure whether it's software related, as for me no problem with WP7. I contected Nokia, they said if more people raise the issue, they will look into it.

LinT

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
same issue here! I could connect to my corp wifi with no problems on my HD7 but i cant connect on my 8x. I hope this gets resolved as i dont get good reception in my building!

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Add me to the list of folks having issues connecting to a PEAP wifi network. I can connect after I imported the correct root cert, but I have to manually reconnect ever time as it seems to wipe out my credentials. I have no issues on any other wifi network.

blnwp

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Add me as well. Every other phone which can connect to WiFi works with my company WiFi but not Lumia 920. Just irritates me. I'm pretty sure it's with the self signed certificates my company uses. But other OSes connect without any problem and no idea why WP8 won't.

Update: Just found out that my old Focus can connect to the same WiFi without any problem. What the **** MS? You broke this in WP8?

Last edited:

sundawg#WP

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I think something else may have changed for you. It still doesn't work for me after the update. Same errors, same conclusion I had previously.

I promised to follow-up after working through things with my IT. I still plan to do this...just a busy time of year.

sundawg#WP

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
hum....wonder if the update had any updated Root Certs from the CA's. In my case, this wouldn't matter since we don't use one at all (or it is expired). That's the question I still need to get from my IT.

For those that haven't read through the thread, the reason other smartphones work with PEAP without an effort, is because they have the option to not check the server cert at all. This is different than our settings. "Validate server certificate" in our connection options really means, make sure it is using this specific cert, versus any valid cert. We have no option to not validate.

danbbrantley

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Digging this thread up in hopes that users will see. Some are reporting the Portico update allows them to finally connect to PEAP secured WIFI networks. Give it a shot!

ValZho

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Having authentication problems connecting to a WPA2 network. Ran across another post on another site where the problem was fixed by switching the router from a mixed 802.11 b/g network to a straight g network. Unfortunately, I can't test it here, but I hope this helps some people—would love to hear if this fixes some people's problems.

R S

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Add me to the list of folks having issues connecting to a PEAP wifi network. I can connect after I imported the correct root cert, but I have to manually reconnect ever time as it seems to wipe out my credentials. I have no issues on any other wifi network.

I have exactly the same issue with L920 connecting to eduroam wifi at my University. Connections are OK, it's just every reconnection (after a short timeout period - nor sure how long that lasts) requires the setup and login credentials to be reentered.

R S

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I think something else may have changed for you. It still doesn't work for me after the update. Same errors, same conclusion I had previously.

I promised to follow-up after working through things with my IT. I still plan to do this...just a busy time of year.

I got the portico update last night and was hopeful it might have made a difference, but it doesn't. I can still make a connection (at the third attempt after certificate validation errors, and being asked to enter my details again), but after a certain period of time, I lose the connection and need to reenter all the details again. No change after the update.

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Add me to the List... We need for Corporate Users EAP-TTLS !

I can Connect for the Moment but for the Future its planed to use only: EAP-TTLS
So MS Please think about the Chances in Corporate use and give us what we Definitly need and all others can without Problems!

R S

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Just to confirm whether the problem with connecting and reconnecting to Wifi networks is device or OS specific, I've tried a HTC 8X on my University eduroam network (with Portico) applied, and it behaves in exactly the same way as the Lumia 920. My conclusion is that the problem is with WP8, and Portico does not fix it. This is pretty serious - not being able to connect to a Wifi network means I'll need to be using a different device that does. NB WP7 does not have this problem.

mitcho_man

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
My Ativ S will not connect to work's WiFi.

When entering the password, the connection is unsuccesful. It comes up with the error 'incorrect password'. Although the password is most defo correct.

The work's WiFi network is a wpa2 type. On Google-ing 'wp8 wifi incorrect password' and 'wp8 won't connect wpa2', loads of forums are thrown up with people having the same fault. Including people here on the official WP8 forums. Although Microsoft don't seem to reply. This fault seems to be a WP8 firmware issue, as it's apparent across multiple makes of WP8 phones.

Everyone elses phones and laptops in my workplace (Android, iPhone, Windows XP) all connect fine to the wifi.

Some people have found that changing the broadcast type from 'n' to 'g' or from 'both' to 'g', whichever way round it is. But as this is my work's wifi so I cannot do this. And in fairness... shouldn't have to do this.

Has Microsoft or anyone else got the answer to fixing this issue?

Brian Terranova

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a HTC Windows 8x. i am trying to sign in to my companys wifi. I was able to sign in a few weeks ago, but now I get
a password incorrect error. The password i am inputting is correct, i have a Kindle Fire logged into the same network. And, my IT
guy tried to enter the password and still got the same message. Is there a way to reset the connections without resetting the whole phone?

sundawg#WP

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
You can tap the advanced button from the Wi-Fi settings and scroll down to see all of the saved networks you've successfully connected to. Find the one you want to "reset" and tap and hold. A delete menu pick will appear. Alternatively use the checklist button at the bottom to allow you to select networks in conjunction with the trash can.

Not sure if that is what you were asking or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon