Are there Mail Categories like on Outlook.com?

danbbrantley

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Quick question and similar to the one I posted about the Mail App in Windows 8.

I use the Categories for my mail on Outlook.com.

Will my categories be available to me on my phone in the mail client? Examples of categories include: "Social Updates", "Documents", "Family", "Flagged".
I have an outlook email address and use outlook.com for checking and managing my mail.

Note that these are different from folders (categories allow me to label one mail with more than one identifier).

Thanks!

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Quick question and similar to the one I posted about the Mail App in Windows 8.

I use the Categories for my mail on Outlook.com.

Will my categories be available to me on my phone in the mail client? Examples of categories include: "Social Updates", "Documents", "Family", "Flagged".
I have an outlook email address and use outlook.com for checking and managing my mail.

Note that these are different from folders (categories allow me to label one mail with more than one identifier).

Thanks!

Categories are tags like Labels in Gmail. Gmail doesn't even have the concept of folders. In my opinion, folders are a holdover from the early web email days and should be done away with. People really care more about tagging. Folders is poor design because it's exposing an underlying mechanism(storage) to the end user.

danbbrantley

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Categories are tags like Labels in Gmail. Gmail doesn't even have the concept of folders. In my opinion, folders are a holdover from the early web email days and should be done away with. People really care more about tagging. Folders is poor design because it's exposing an underlying mechanism(storage) to the end user.

I agree 100%. I'd much prefer to Categorize (label) my mails and then simply archive them to keep my inbox clean. Instead, I'm worried that I'll have no choice but to use Folders on the phone.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wish Apple, Google & Microsoft would all agree on the concept of Tags in their native email apps as well as their back-end email services. Isn't tagging supported in IMAP or EAS?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon