512mb ram phones only has 130mb app memory?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
When i enable debug modes in certain app betas, I see available memory 130mb. And when I looked at how much 1gb apps use. Its 300mb. No wonder apps crash on 512mb. They don't even give the devs almost half the ram to develop apps. I feel that if this was pushed to maybe 230mb, devs would actually try to port games to 512mb devices. 130mb is wayy to small.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The current windows kernel takes 230mb alone. You just can't push any more without sacrificing critical system operations. So would you like not receiving calls, messages or emails while use an app that requires large amount of memory?

Hopefully, wp8.1 can further shrink the os footprint.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The current windows kernel takes 230mb alone. You just can't push any more without sacrificing critical system operations. So would you like not receiving calls, messages or emails while use an app that requires large amount of memory?

Hopefully, wp8.1 can further shrink the os footprint.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

230+230= 460. 512-460= 52mb. Do you really think a phone call or notifications take more than 52mb?

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Your phone would likely then lag like Android phones. Right now one of the strong point of Windows Phone is "it's fast and smooth", take that away and there'll be one less reason for people to switch over from Androids.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
The current windows kernel takes 230mb alone.

Can that really be true? The kernel taking 230MB alone? That would be an extraordinary amount.
I have an Android phone here with 256MB RAM. Yes, it's slow. Very slow. But it works and it will run most applications. Is WP seriously that inefficient?

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Can that really be true? The kernel taking 230MB alone? That would be an extraordinary amount.

It is from Microsoft themselves from one of the presentations in a developer conference. Screenshot.png

Consider this is almost the same kernel used by desktop Windows 8, 230MB is amazingly small already. But the API currently published cover probably very small portion of the functionality of the kernel. So, it is a waste in current form. Hopefully 8.1 will change that.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I remember back in the days, when I had win XP with the latest rams.. 256mb baby !

And now double they amount ain't enough for a phone :S

I remember when my old Palm m505 was equipped with... hold onto your hats!
160x160 color display
33 MHz processor!
8 MB RAM that's split for storage AND RAM usage! (only 1 MB or so for RAM)
and a week long battery life!
and the brand-spanking-new Palm OS 4.0!

I wonder where I put it...

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Consider this is almost the same kernel used by desktop Windows 8, 230MB is amazingly small already. But the API currently published cover probably very small portion of the functionality of the kernel. So, it is a waste in current form. Hopefully 8.1 will change that.

If these numbers are accurate, and really for the kernel, it calls into question whether WP is really suitable for low end devices. Some optimisation for smooth graphics is good, of course, but leaving so little spare memory for applications is very limiting.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
If these numbers are accurate, and really for the kernel, it calls into question whether WP is really suitable for low end devices. Some optimisation for smooth graphics is good, of course, but leaving so little spare memory for applications is very limiting.

I would say it most certainly is suitable for low end devices, there's no other OS out there that performs as well as Windows Phone on lower end devices.

So you have to wait for devs to properly optimize their code to run on 512MB. Is it better to wait a bit for a game to be available, or never be able to play a game like it happens on Android?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I would say it most certainly is suitable for low end devices, there's no other OS out there that performs as well as Windows Phone on lower end devices.

So you have to wait for devs to properly optimize their code to run on 512MB. Is it better to wait a bit for a game to be available, or never be able to play a game like it happens on Android?

I'm not a games player, but I see many complaints here about availability of games on 512MB WP devices, and unfavourable comparisons to Android where games seem to be more widely available even on cheap handsets. But I'm not speaking from experience, just what I read.

I'm also not sure that WP performs better than iOS or Android on low end devices. I agree WP is generally smoother and responds more quickly. But as I've said here before, when you consider the following process:
Step 0: User touches the screen to perform an action (e.g. touches web browser icon).
Step 1: Phone responds in some way (e.g. displays loading screen, changes colour of icon).
Step 2: Action completes (e.g. web browser is ready for use).

Trying some cheap phones with similar specs side by side, I would say WP gets to step 1 more quickly than Android (well, at least at a more consistent speed), but is slower at getting to step 2. WP's huge memory requirements, if they really are true, may go some way to explaining this.

Oh, and Android does run (slowly) on my 256MB phone. Judging by these numbers, WP won't. So in that respect, Android performs better (i.e. it works) on this very low end device than Windows.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
It is from Microsoft themselves from one of the presentations in a developer conference. View attachment 52594
what i

where is this video from and what conference is it. I can't find it anywhere in build 2012

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It is from Microsoft themselves from one of the presentations in a developer conference. View attachment 52594

In this age of privacy violations, wouldn't you just love to know what those OEM Background Agents are... and how much they affect battery usage on a device. All it takes is one crappy AT&T/other developer to leave a bug and next thing you'd know their phones would have random battery life.

CageJ

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Guys thats it for the original WP8.0, with GDR3 there are some improvments.. few megabytes for background from 12MB to 15MB in GDR3 etc. So this table is accurate no more. But its true that OS with drivers take about 280-320MB.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon