Instagram ,Vine & Flipboard - Will this be enough !!

apalm8

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the apps matter in terms of the experience because people will love the phones...but I think users will want to know that all major apps are available for they even pick up a WP.

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Today i understand why initial players get a huge advantage. But then i do remember the story of microsoft overtaking apple with its pc business. i hope windowsphone will also be no different, but the competition is android. They are the tough ones with variety of options from lost cost phones to the premium one's . But then nokia has done anything and everything from lumia 520 to lumia 1520.I hope they will keep adding more phones in the low cost smartphone segment for grabbing more market share from android.
However the ecosystem man ... this is a tough nut to crack . How can u literally make every developers there to deploy the apps on windows phone platforms too.
One day i hope it will happen , but so keen on seeing this soon. I really want microsoft to keep its focus on windowsphones and never let it die in the coming years.

bryantest

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Let's see

No Walmart app
No CVS App
No Target App
No US Bank APP

AA Airline app not updated since last year.

The ones who are really hurting the most? THE CUSTOMER WHO LIVES IN NORTH AMERICA
How long is going to be the wait? HOW LONG??

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
No, the recent app announcements won't be "enough". Tech press will continue to complain about lack of other apps, and mock anything Windows as hopelessly uncool. iOS users will just complain about more esoteric apps, about how ugly and confusing the start screen is, and about the lack of polish. Android users will complain about lack of configurability and the underpowered hardware. And we'll all just continue to complain to each other.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
It needs the flavor of the month apps to be available at the same time as the other platforms.
I think right now sit has sort of has become BBM.
Candy Crush has pretty much run through its 15mins of fame so whether it comes or not it comes soon doesn't matter anymore at this point. (like when Words with Friends and Draw Something arrived at a time when no one seemed to care about it anymore)

Honestly I don't know what the major universal 'in' app that everyone and their dog is using right now is other than instagram.

Its starting to become more of the region specific apps (like banking apps, store apps, etc) that are lacking rather than the actual 'popular' ones.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
are all of these Nokia exclusives?
If so then im going to android, I feel like i wasted 3 months of saying "flipboard is coming, then i won't need to change" but its just a Nokia exclusive.
This is the worst part of the WP8 experience.

someone always has to threaten to leave. I guess it feels good to dump on public.

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
A turning point is very crucial for windows phone's race towards Top smartphone OS . If instagram and Vine is giving the much needed turning point,i am sure other app developers will also join too.
But my only doubt is whether these many high end apps are just enough for some one to buy a windows phone on comparison with android.

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't think getting Intagram, Vine and Flipboard will be enough, but it sure was a coup announcing them at Nokia World. We need more developers considering releasing WP versions of their apps alongside their Android and iOS versions, which is really difficult to do especially for small programming teams who most likely would have to choose one platform to start with.

Re: "mobile race/war": In the case of WP, adoption is crucial. I am choosing to support WP even though it doesn't have some of the more mature features that Android has because I'd like to have more choices once mobile tech matures. I don't want to be stuck choosing between a company that puts ridiculously high prices on their overrated devices, and another company whose primary business is selling ads. I personally would rather have a third choice, and WP just happens to be a perfect choice for me. From a developer POV, the UI is very promising and provides the most functionality, especially as we get better screens and SoCs, icons just won't be able to keep up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon