Samsung Focus to Lumia 520?

Undead_Steve

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
So my mom is currently rocking my old 2 year old Samsung Focus (SGH-I917). It's actually held up really well and she was just fine waiting until our family plan had an upgrade available (not for over a year) - but now with the Lumia 520 for only 99$ at AT&T I'm temped to buy one just to get her on WP8.
First though I wanted to see if there is anyone here who has gone through this upgrade, or has both. - How do they compare? I'm aware of the benefits of WP8 over WP7 but how is the hardware comparison?
The main things I'm curious about are:

1) How do the screens compare? (I loved the deep blacks on the AMOLED in the Focus, and I think the Windows Phone UI begs for that good contrast)
2) How does the build quality compare?
3) How is the speed of the 520 compared to the Focus?

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
1) How do the screens compare?
-Looks fairly good but you cant expect a budget phone to have an AMOLED display

2) How does the build quality compare
-520 has a sturdy build quality and is judt big enough to fit in your palm..neither too big..nor too small..feels great

-You wont find noticeable change but wp8 is more fluidic and smooth compared to wp7 and then you can enjoy exclusive NOKIA apps with lumia 520

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If she is the really light user like my mother, I would say you shouldn't upgrade. My mom is using an Optimus V slider that, to me, is way past it's prime. That said, she doesn't need a lot to serve her needs.

Undead_Steve

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
1) How do the screens compare?
-Looks fairly good but you cant expect a budget phone to have an AMOLED display

2) How does the build quality compare
-520 has a sturdy build quality and is judt big enough to fit in your palm..neither too big..nor too small..feels great

-You wont find noticeable change but wp8 is more fluidic and smooth compared to wp7 and then you can enjoy exclusive NOKIA apps with lumia 520

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I might go check one out just to see the screen myself.

If she is the really light user like my mother, I would say you shouldn't upgrade. My mom is using an Optimus V slider that, to me, is way past it's prime. That said, she doesn't need a lot to serve her needs.

Yeah, my mom is a pretty light user- some web browsing, email checking, texting, picture taking, and Wordament(and other games like it) player.

What I think I'll do if I pick one up, is just get it as a backup device for anyone in our family, that she can switch to if she finds she likes it more.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
^^
i have been using lumia 520 d day it launched and i am morre then happy to use it...very simple...beautiful and makes my mobile looks alive unlike android which is plain and boring !!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon