SKIN vs CASE for my 1520

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I have been looking at cases for a week now. I was disappointed to learn that Otterbox doesn't have one. They usually have one ready immediately for new IMPORTANT phones. Maybe they know something about the life expectancy of this phone that buyers don't .. So I didn't see any case that I like. The kickstand isn't a selling point for me, I would rather have a charging stand than a kickstand. I finally decided to go with the Skinomi Skn. I have used them in the past and love them. I can feel confident that my gadget is well protected even if I just drop it in my purse of computer bag rather than finding the perfect purse pocket. I have always used the carbon fiber one in black. This time I decided to try it in pink. Hope I don't regret that. Even the screen protector that is part of the shield is pretty great. I can usually get it on without it showing a bunch of bubbles and looking like one of my old waterbeds.

Amazon.com: nokia 1520 Skinomi

viper_13

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
The skin protector for the Nokia Lumia 1520 by Skinomi as part of the carbon fiber (black) kit may not have proper cutout for the speaker. This turned out to be the case even in the replacement kit that I received from Skinomi. The cutout appears to be there, but it's not cut.

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Can we cut the holes out ourselves ??

I just made another purchase. One of my favorite things about my iPhone was a case I had by Rokform. It had a very strong magnet on the back and I could come into the house and attach my iPhone to the refrigerator or anything metal, like my desk drawer and the filing cabinet behind my desk. I also had a magnet attached to the dash of my car. Would stick the case there too. As I said it was a strong magnet so the phone would never end up on the floor. I was upset that Rokform only made this case for iThings. Pads, phones etc .. then they added Samsung ... Today I got an email that said they made a gizmo that attaches to any case, for any phone ... I didn't think twice about ordering one. Maybe I should have ordered two. I totally recommend this .. take a look.
Universal Phone Mount

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Can we cut the holes out ourselves ??

I just made another purchase. One of my favorite things about my iPhone was a case I had by Rokform. It had a very strong magnet on the back and I could come into the house and attach my iPhone to the refrigerator or anything metal, like my desk drawer and the filing cabinet behind my desk. I also had a magnet attached to the dash of my car. Would stick the case there too. As I said it was a strong magnet so the phone would never end up on the floor. I was upset that Rokform only made this case for iThings. Pads, phones etc .. then they added Samsung ... Today I got an email that said they made a gizmo that attaches to any case, for any phone ... I didn't think twice about ordering one. Maybe I should have ordered two. I totally recommend this .. take a look.
Universal Phone Mount

That looks cool you will have to let us know how long the tape lasts. At least that is what it looks like your just sticky taping that mount to the back of your case or phone. One thing the magnet sounds cool but wont work for me. I work construction lots of metal shavings around to get stuck to that magnet. That's a great way to get my phone scratched up.

I did order the Skinomi skin for Amazon this week. I suck at putting those things on. I hope I can get it installed without it looking bad.

RFRA

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
That looks cool you will have to let us know how long the tape lasts. At least that is what it looks like your just sticky taping that mount to the back of your case or phone. One thing the magnet sounds cool but wont work for me. I work construction lots of metal shavings around to get stuck to that magnet. That's a great way to get my phone scratched up.

I did order the Skinomi skin for Amazon this week. I suck at putting those things on. I hope I can get it installed without it looking bad.

[Disclaimer: I work for Rokform]

Hi Dave,

I just wanted to write this to address some of your concerns. The magnet is removable prior to installation and is not required. You would still be able to use the RMS mounting system. Also, the tape is very strong and will not just come off on its own if you clean the surface you attach it to properly first. The kit does come with clean wipes that you can use for this purpose. If you would be interested in using the product and doing a review on this forum so other members can see the benefits of our mounting solutions please let me know and I will send you out a sample. I will pm you my email address.

Thank you!

dropofdreams

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I personally prefer a case and am using a ruggedized one myself that is comparable to what otterbox would have offered. However, in regards to skinomi and the likes, it's just a vinyl appliqu? that prevents from surface scratches. I can't justify calling that sufficient protection in my book. It works for some but I'd be terrified of the day that a case would have made the difference in protection.

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I will say this about the tape. I have had it attached to my car dashboard for at least a year now. It shows no sign of coming loose. In fact, be sure of where you attach it .. because that is where it is going to stay I imagine unless you use chemicals. I have one on the dash near my radio. I have one on the inside of my sun visor - that way I can pull down the sun visor and see the GPS out of my left eye if I need to. I also have one of the pieces that work without the magnet attached to my dash on the far side of my radio. I planned on using that for my iPad mini .. Just never got around to actually trying it out. I probably sound like a commercial but I love it that much.

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I personally prefer a case and am using a ruggedized one myself that is comparable to what otterbox would have offered..
Being I carry a purse, a rugged case is not that important to me but I will probably buy one if Otterbox makes one and then attach the universal Rokform to it.

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I have been buying the Skinomi skins for a few years. I also suck at putting things like that on but I honestly had no problems with Skinomi. One time I got a bad one and they immediately sent me another. I don't like the clear ones, just the carbon ones because they feel secure in my hand. My biggest problem is ALWAYS the screen protector. And I never could get all the bubbles out of my waterbeds. Seems with the Skinomi, it looked like I made a mess of the screen but in a few days all the bubbles were gone. I am thinking that the Skinomi will fit nice on the lumia since the lumia is basically flat all over.

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
The skin protector for the Nokia Lumia 1520 by Skinomi as part of the carbon fiber (black) kit may not have proper cutout for the speaker. This turned out to be the case even in the replacement kit that I received from Skinomi. The cutout appears to be there, but it's not cut.
Write them, they will send another. That happened to me with a skin I got for another gadget. The first batch was cut wrong. Maybe it was the one for the Dell Streak. They are guaranteed for life and will send a replacement for sure. I heard that even if the skin starts to lift up they will send a replacement. It is weird how strong they stick .. you would think they would be impossible to remove, but they aren't. I changed colors once on some phone and it was firmly attached but once I got it to start coming off, getting it all off was not a problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes