Who is buying the Lumia 830 when it comes out?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious, what's you reason to consider switch from 1520 to 830? Is it the size of 1520? I had no chance to see it live yet, but it looks huge, even for my relative big hands. But the prospect of 4k video wit possibility to save 8mp stills sounds pretty tempting ;)

There's a lot to love about it, don't get me wrong. Stellar battery life, Glance, sleek, thin design, great camera, superb audio/video/speaker quality and volume, micro SD support. Basically everything you want in a WP flagship.

However, my main gripes are A) The size. It actually fits in most pockets, and I wear slim jeans. But one-handability, though it improves as you get more accustomed to different hand positions and grips, was an issue. I'm 6'1" (185 cm) and have average, proportionate hands... not big, not small. People comment on how big the phone is every time I have it out in public. They also say it's nice though. My 1520 is yellow for whatever that's worth.

B) Though this isn't quite as big of an issue as it used to be, the swipe/tap/scroll bug present on just about every 1520 can get a little annoying. It's a hardware issue that'll never fully be resolved, but a mix of firmware updates and learning how to change my swipe/scroll habits have improved this issue.

I'd say I want a Lumia 830 more than I want to switch from my 1520. I just think the 830 is beautiful, and love the idea of changing back covers. The size is more manageable but that's more of a bonus. I would switch to a 930 but it lacks Glance support and doesn't work on LTE here in the U.S. The 830, however, supports Glance and should be coming to North America.

I realize I'll be taking a step back specs-wise, but I'm thinking I won't notice too much of a difference, especially considering I don't play any games on my phone. Regardless, I'll be trying the 830 out for a few weeks before I decide for sure whether or not to keep it and sell my 1520.

odklizec

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your reasons. I've heard about the 1520 swipe/tap/scroll bug. This bug and size holds me a bit back from 1520. Unless I come across a great deal for 1520, I will probably wait for 830. I would gladly pick 930, but only if it would support SD cards. 32GB is not even close to my needs ;) So it's either 1520 or 830. And maybe next year, MS will finally announce 9xx with miro SD card support?

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
i am really looking at Lumia 830. I am happy with my 1320 but given that they almost have the same price i may have to consider selling my 1320 for 830. hopefully 830 will be available in my country :)

Sifrei

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I love the specs and I like it over the 930 just because of the expandable memory. I'd be nice to have it as a backup phone.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
1. user replaceable battery;
2. SD card expansion;
3. back cover instead of pin/paper clip requirement to open SIM card slot

Yes, I DO!

wvanellis

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I purchased it from truedigital and got it delivered yesterday. From the pics I posted, it's a prototype that's supposed to be "not for sale", so I guess it's not a "true 830", but it works perfectly. I get LTE on T-Mobile and Internet sharing works (which it didn't on my 1520.3 RM-938). I really like the phone. After having the 1530, the 830 feels a bit small, but it never feels bulky which the 1520 did at times. I'm sure I'll put the 1520 up for sale on ebay and keep the 830.

830.1.png830.2.png830.3.png

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I purchased it from truedigital and got it delivered yesterday. From the pics I posted, it's a prototype that's supposed to be "not for sale", so I guess it's not a "true 830", but it works perfectly. I get LTE on T-Mobile and Internet sharing works (which it didn't on my 1520.3 RM-938). I really like the phone. After having the 1530, the 830 feels a bit small, but it never feels bulky which the 1520 did at times. I'm sure I'll put the 1520 up for sale on ebay and keep the 830.

Do you have the Denim enhancements like the new camera app with HDR?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 82620View attachment 82621View attachment 82622

Very interesting! Thanks for the all the info. I guess it makes sense then that this is the only seller with the RM-985 right now... only prototypes are out. I'm not sure I want a prototype, but I'm glad it's working fine for you. I plan to do the exact same thing you are... buy a Lumia 830 and sell my 1520.

I emailed truedigital earlier to ask if he'll be getting any orange Lumia 830 RM-985s, and he said no. Now I know why (prototype).

Could you please tell us how performance compares to your 1520? How long it takes for apps to open, battery life, does the battery get warm/hot, how fast the browser opens up URL suggests and renders pages, how it handles video streaming, etc.? Sorry, I'm asking for a lot of info but I'm excited :)

wvanellis

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Regarding Sketchy9's question.... I didn't get the phone for the camera, so I'm not sure if this build has the "HDR" functionality. It looks like it has the same camera and features as my 1520 that currently has the Cyan update.

I think the battery life of the 830 is far superior to the 1520. Doesn't run hot, and lasts at least twice as long and wirelessly charges twice as fast. I think my 1520 was a lemon.

I don't notice any lag in any other aspect of the phone, i.e., browser, apps opening/closing, video streaming etc.

The smaller keyboard is the only issue I can see since I'm composing this post with the phone, but I have huge hands and it is a smaller phone.

I just noticed a fairly strong negative... the glance screen has no settings. The page is blank. If this is an issue due to it being a prototype, I may be sending it back. However, the list of bands on the official model give the impression the 830 won't work on T-Mobile LTE, but I get LTE at the best speeds of any previous lumia phone with the 830.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I just noticed a fairly strong negative... the glance screen has no settings. The page is blank. If this is an issue due to it being a prototype, I may be sending it back.

Do you have the Glance Background app in your list of installed apps? On my 920 this is where I select the glance background, not in the glance section under settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2