Who is buying the Lumia 830 when it comes out?

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I had a 920 and was thinking about getting an 830 when it comes out because that's the newest one Rogers has, however I then thought if you're going to drop 400$ on a new phone, why not put in the extra 200$ and get a 1520! So i did. And I cried. It is beautiful

Emix1988

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I am in love with it's design, i think that camera is great from what i saw. Color options are great too. Only thing i don't like and what i would really miss is AMOLED screen, i would prefer AMOLED over IPS, i am not sure how 735 got AMOLED and 830 got IPS?

mohawk apple

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I am in love with it's design, i think that camera is great from what i saw. Color options are great too. Only thing i don't like and what i would really miss is AMOLED screen, i would prefer AMOLED over IPS, i am not sure how 735 got AMOLED and 830 got IPS?

whats the difference between the two? I'm just curious cause i have know idea!

Emix1988

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I prefer AMOLED displays over IPS for the mobile phones.
Better blacks, better contrast, viewing angles and sunlight readability.

Douglas_B

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
AMOLED has better black levels (there's no backlight glow if the screen is dark) and the colors are more saturated. However, AMOLED can suffer from 'screen burn' where static images left on the screen can leave a dark imprint over time.

IPS on the other hand has less vibrant colors but usually has higher readability in direct sunlight and doesn't suffer from any image retention/screen burn.

Power wise they are about the same, AMOLED uses less power when the screen has a lot of black areas and IPS uses less power when the screen is mostly white.

mohawk apple

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
AMOLED has better black levels (there's no backlight glow if the screen is dark) and the colors are more saturated. However, AMOLED can suffer from 'screen burn' where static images left on the screen can leave a dark imprint over time.

IPS on the other hand has less vibrant colors but usually has higher readability in direct sunlight and doesn't suffer from any image retention/screen burn.

Power wise they are about the same, AMOLED uses less power when the screen has a lot of black areas and IPS uses less power when the screen is mostly white.

Great to know! thanks

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Have had my 830 for exactly a week now.

I can live without glance... but a couple other things bother me. I seem to be locked out of some things. Glance update isn't available at all?? ...and for some reason the Live Lock Screen Beta simply vanishes the second I sign in (on both my phone and my PC).

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon iPhone is also CDMA. The only reason it hasn't been able to do simultaneous voice and data utilizing CDMA for voice/LTE for data, has been able Apple design decisions (antenna design, battery concerns). Of course, there have also been phones with SVDO enabled which enabled the same over CDMA only connections.

The 73x will undoubtedly be a custom Verizon variant with CDMA enabled for them. VoLTE is still just rolling out and extremely limited (can only use when calling other VZW VoLTE customers, wtf) thus far.

Where did you see that ?
Verizon is CDMA. Sure all of their LTE phones have GSM radios, but I'm pretty sure that all have CDMA also.
Other than the iPhone, I would be very, very surprised if Verizon ever carried a pure GSM device.

Fred

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Have had my 830 for exactly a week now.

I can live without glance... but a couple other things bother me. I seem to be locked out of some things. Glance update isn't available at all?? ...and for some reason the Live Lock Screen Beta simply vanishes the second I sign in (on both my phone and my PC).

Going back and forth between the 735 and 830 threads is confusing me. So the 830 doesn't have Glance and the 735 does? Or do neither have it? What about Double tap to wake?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Going back and forth between the 735 and 830 threads is confusing me. So the 830 doesn't have Glance and the 735 does? Or do neither have it? What about Double tap to wake?

As far as the Lumia 830, only the prototype RM-985 variants on Ebay do not have glance (though they will supposedly be getting it). The regular production models out now (RM-984) do come with Glance.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
As far as the Lumia 830, only the prototype RM-985 variants on Ebay do not have glance (though they will supposedly be getting it). The regular production models out now (RM-984) do come with Glance.
Thanks for that buddy. I did find an article on WPCentral that does a feature by feature comparison between the two models.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth, I've never seen an AMOLED screen that looks better than the 1520's LCD panel, in terms of overall display quality. Black level alone is certainly not the most important metric. And in terms of color accuracy, AMOLED usually does poorly but at least COULD be calibrated if any OEM cared. But good LCD panels are capable of way more gamut than you'd ever need on a smartphone. I also don't like the way AMOLED can change color cast as it ages. Or that having an all white screen means it usually dims itself to limit power draw. Maximum brightness is often better on an LCD panel, too. Or how about this: LCD panels are RGB pixels. Never pentile. Even at 1080p.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth, I've never seen an AMOLED screen that looks better than the 1520's LCD panel, in terms of overall display quality. Black level alone is certainly not the most important metric. And in terms of color accuracy, AMOLED usually does poorly but at least COULD be calibrated if any OEM cared. But good LCD panels are capable of way more gamut than you'd ever need on a smartphone. I also don't like the way AMOLED can change color cast as it ages. Or that having an all white screen means it usually dims itself to limit power draw. Maximum brightness is often better on an LCD panel, too. Or how about this: LCD panels are RGB pixels. Never pentile. Even at 1080p.

The S5 display is supposed to be basically the best mobile display yet. Look up the Displaymate report on its display. Brightest, most accurate, basically anything you could want.

As for me...the display on my Icon is just luscious. I thought the 928 was nice. Can't wait for next year.

Edit: and with WP...the black background and theming...cant tell where the edge of the display is. Edge to edge glass and beautiful colors just floating in a pool of inky darkness. ;)

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The S5 display is supposed to be basically the best mobile display yet. Look up the Displaymate report on its display. Brightest, most accurate, basically anything you could want.
Is Sammy still using PenTile displays? I know the major screen quality aficionados don't seem to be big fans of those.

Douglas_B

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
As for me...the display on my Icon is just luscious. I thought the 928 was nice. Can't wait for next year.

But good LCD panels are capable of way more gamut than you'd ever need on a smartphone. I also don't like the way AMOLED can change color cast as it ages.

I agree with both of you here. I think the icon's screen (as well as some other AMOLEDs) is really nice the love the black levels it produces. However, I leave static content on my phone for long periods of time and cant take the risk of image burn in or color shift over the phones lifespan. The 830 alleviates my worry with its IPS display, so I'll be picking one up if it comes to my provider, otherwise it's the HTC M8 windows.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Is Sammy still using PenTile displays? I know the major screen quality aficionados don't seem to be big fans of those.

More or less. RGBG, laid out in a diamond configuration. At a high enough resolution, I think the point is basically moot, but hey.

Burn in is definitely a consideration against AMOLED's -- will be interesting to see how TV/monitor type usage works in that scenario.