Phones sold with known faults

shamrockhead

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi
Does anybody know why Microsoft/amazon are selling this phones with known faults? Also I'm wondering why Microsoft havenet officially called back their faulty phones for a replacement with one that works properly?
Personally, the phone I had (now package and waiting to be returned at time of writing), experienced overheating and failure of double 'tap to wake' function. I've read of many other known faults with the phone, such as the purple hue.
Also I'm beginning to wonder whether the free wi-fi pack currently being offered by Microsoft (offer applicable to purchases of Lumia 930 during December 2014) is to entice customers to purchase the product so they can get rid of faulty stocks.
I'd be interested to read your comments.
Thanks

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
No product is shipped without *some* known problems. It's unreasonable to expect perfection in anything. A recall is reserved for dangerous or egregious faults- not inconveniences. Other problems, such as yours, are fixed by warranty exchanges. This is why warranties exist.

shamrockhead

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
No product is shipped without *some* known problems. It's unreasonable to expect perfection in anything. A recall is reserved for dangerous or egregious faults- not inconveniences. Other problems, such as yours, are fixed by warranty exchanges. This is why warranties exist.
A phone that overheats is a serious fault. If it were just a software fault, then yes, I suppose its reasonable to wait for a software update. If it is known that phones are overheating, then why continue to sell them with known fault? Who is to say that this hardware fault cannot result in damage to someones health? I dare say, yes, it is easier to keep selling them, rather than recall product and investigate what the fault is..... We are not talking about a 20 quid phone, its almost 400 quid, ie an expensive item. To pay such a high price, I expect something that does not have known hardware faults. I think phone overheating is such high temperatures is a serious fault, but I don't want anything to happen to my health, and as such, I believe the manufacturer has a duty to recall the phones with known faults.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
A phone that overheats is a serious fault. If it were just a software fault, then yes, I suppose its reasonable to wait for a software update. If it is known that phones are overheating, then why continue to sell them with known fault? Who is to say that this hardware fault cannot result in damage to someones health? I dare say, yes, it is easier to keep selling them, rather than recall product and investigate what the fault is..... We are not talking about a 20 quid phone, its almost 400 quid, ie an expensive item. To pay such a high price, I expect something that does not have known hardware faults. I think phone overheating is such high temperatures is a serious fault, but I don't want anything to happen to my health, and as such, I believe the manufacturer has a duty to recall the phones with known faults.

In your case, I think you have a faulty phone. Exchange is your best option unless you can get Amazon to refund your money. I have had the ICON; equivalent to the 930 and never had any screen discoloration or heating problems which leads me to think your phone is faulty. It's unfair to brand all 930's as faulty based on your specific problems.

Work with Amazon for a replacement or refund.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They do service phones with known faults. That is called warranty service or replacement.

There are much more working 930's out there than defective 930's, so recalling all makes no sense.

+1 what several potatos and aximtreo said.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, every manufacturer will encounter some faulty devices here and there that get into the public's hands. IPhone isn't any different, so just because of an Apple logo, there can still be issues... My wife's iPhone had to be exchanged because the mic wasn't working or the noise canceling was canceling out the front mic. I'm not trying to bash Apple per se, just saying it happens everywhere.

blushrts717

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I still think the Icon has some sort of hardware bug and that's why it hasn't been upgraded to Cyan yet. Nice to see denim out there and being two releases behind.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I had no issues with my 930. No heating or such. So it is not all phones.
Remember this: more people with problems will post than people who are happy. That skews your perception of actual problem devices to those that are free of issues. Percentage wise you are looking at a very low number.

Also remember that ALL phones have defects. Some are more famous or pronounced than others. iPhone 4 (reception issue, wifi issue), iPhone 5 (button issue) Samsung S1 Galaxy, HTC HD7, HTC One (gap issue), etc. I have had all those phones but did not experience those issues.

anon(5841099)

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Also remember that people who post that they have no problems what so ever may not be as critical or sensitive to the problems :wink:. I'm pretty sensitive to color issues, and literally all Lumia 930's that have passed through my hands so far (25+) have had the purple hue issue. So the distorting of perception works both ways :winktongue:.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
well..as far as I am concerned, my only 930 I've had, had the overheating issue and I got rid of it. Now I have a 1020 64GB and I am not going back to 930. I cannot risk my money on a device that could have so many faults. Maybe a 1520 which is also great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2