Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
hey I gotta say I am now fully onboard the win10mo train.

for the first week battery life was horrific, but then someone pointed out to me that I could disable a bunch of background apps. (why msft doesn't do this by default is beyond me.) Edge was the main culprit, chewing up a third or so of my battery (!). now it is about as good as 8.1

also, reading text while driving started working one day for now apparent reason.

only gripe is that I don't think videos sync automatically. otherwise, happy camper!

01mggt

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I am a current Nexus 6 user and previous Windows Phone user having owned the 8x, 928 and Icon in the past. I am considering buying another Icon since it's the closest thing to a lumia flagship we have on Verizon. But Windows 10 is so tempting. Has there been a statement that the Insider Previews will for sure continue after the launch? I know Verizon will never release an official Windows 10, but if I can use it through the IP program this will be a no brainer for me since I doubt seriously we will see a new flagship on Verizon. Any thoughts or facts?

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I am a current Nexus 6 user and previous Windows Phone user having owned the 8x, 928 and Icon in the past. I am considering buying another Icon since it's the closest thing to a lumia flagship we have on Verizon. But Windows 10 is so tempting. Has there been a statement that the Insider Previews will for sure continue after the launch? I know Verizon will never release an official Windows 10, but if I can use it through the IP program this will be a no brainer for me since I doubt seriously we will see a new flagship on Verizon. Any thoughts or facts?

No facts but I'm almost certain the Insider Program will continue post-launch. MS set a precedent with the WP8 Developer Preview program and the desktop W10 IP. I don't see why they'd cancel the mobile program. I recently picked up an Icon for this very reason.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Welp, finally did it.

Although I'm bummed that I can no longer talk to Cortana on my band and I had to reinstall a crazy number of apps (a bunch didn't work until entirely reinstalled), I have to say that it's running and running well. I imagine they'll eventually clean up that software upgrade process...or at least I hope they will!

beantownsouth

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm downloading 536 right now. wish me luck. #facepalm

Update done, now doing a hard reset. 1.5 hours total. Install was 536.1004.
None of my contacts showed up. Dang this will suck to fix.
I like the start screen so much better than 8.1.
More to come............

Last edited:

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Still going with mine that I did not hard reset for. Still doing ok. The Band stuff is working a little better but stll messages lag on the band. Im getting notifications fine.

I have not had any trouble with the touchscreen not working like previous builds. Hotspot works fine.

walpy207

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
So I once-upon-a-time had an Icon - today I picked one up again for a second try.. I've read through the thread but I've been away for a while. Could someone give me a quick TL;DR? I'd like to do the preview/insider for W10 when it gets here, but what do I need to know for dos and Don'ts? Thanks!

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
After the announcement yesterday, I have to admit that if the Icon only had a user-replaceable battery, I probably wouldn't upgrade my phone... there wasn't anything compelling enough compared to the Icon in there. However, my battery now is so bad it doesn't even last 8 hours with normal use.

Would putting W10M on it help at all? Or is it worse, for those of you who use it?

And on a sidenote, is there a way to get a new battery into an Icon? :)

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Would putting W10M on it help at all? Or is it worse, for those of you who use it?

Nope. It would have the opposite effect. My battery life is significantly worse on the technical preview.

But if your battery life is that bad, i would think that a hard reset would help.

sk0gg1es

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I chatted with a Verizon rep this morning and they said the official Windows 10 update for the Icon was most likely coming, when Windows 10 Mobile officially rolls out later this year. May not mean anything, but it's better than nothing!

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
My Icon with the Windows 10 preview gets about 6 hours. It got about 7 - 8 before. If not for lackluster battery life I wouldn't be planning on upgrading at all... Being on Verizon though I have no idea what that upgrade will actually be.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I chatted with a Verizon rep this morning and they said the official Windows 10 update for the Icon was most likely coming, when Windows 10 Mobile officially rolls out later this year. May not mean anything, but it's better than nothing!
Don't take this personally, because it isn't, but nothing is usually better than something from a Verizon rep. They really don't know anything.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
My Icon with the Windows 10 preview gets about 6 hours. It got about 7 - 8 before. If not for lackluster battery life I wouldn't be planning on upgrading at all... Being on Verizon though I have no idea what that upgrade will actually be.
Thanks. I guess I won't be trying the W10M on the Icon then.

Yeah, my Icon is still an excellent phone and I'd have no upgrade plans if it wasn't for the battery. I really like it and it does all that I need. Too bad about the battery. I have been managing it badly, I think. Should've not charged all the time etc.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

If you talk to 5 different reps, at different locations you will get 5 different answers. CS people are not given info like this, they DONT know. With the ICON being discontinued over a year ago, I don't see the ICON getting more than the Preview Program and that will give a hit on battery life.

I think Android people would be ticked off, as there are lower end phones that are sold as new models and never get upgraded, this happens a lot too...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I actually found quite a few sellers of the battery, which apparently is called Nokia BV-5QW. Not sure how reliable the sellers are, but I might give it a shot. I'm fairly handy with opening up electronics so it could be worth trying. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon