Will the 950 XL work with the Nokia Qi Wireless Charging Stand ?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 Nokia Wireless charging stands and am hoping that the 950 XL will work on them. Anyone know ?

Why wouldn't it ? It's got QI wireless charging. If it has the updated QI version 1.2 (newest version, supporting longer distance from charger and faster charging), it still will work with the older chargers but, just not support the newer features.

I have like 4 Nokia chargers, then 3-4 cheapo ones I got on fleabay, so I take them to work, if I lose the cheapo ones, I don't care.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering if the height of the 950 XL would be too high to interface with the wireless charger. In other words, how close does the Qi area on the back of the phone need to be to the "active" area on the charging stand to work.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Do you guys think there will be a new more powerful wireless charger for quicker charging times released for the 950XL or is there pretty much a limit to how much can be passed safely without risk of overheating and such?? Pardon my ignorance but I have absolutely no experience with wireless charging but will be getting a charging stand like or The Nokia DT-910 if you can't see any way it can be approved on..

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Whether it works or not varies from phone to phone. I have a couple DT-910's, and I have, or had, many phones with wireless charging. It works on the Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, and Nexus 6. It does not work on the Galaxy S5 or the S6 Edge. Evidently the coils do not line up.

I would think it should work with a Lumia, but there is the possibility that the placement of the coils in the 950XL was not designed around it. Basically, just try it and see if it works. Or wait until someone else does.

RareFX

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I just got my Lumia 950 XL yesterday.
I have 4 qi wireless chargers.
My DT-903 and MD-100W charge the 950 XL just fine.
My DT-910 and CR-201 do NOT charge the 950 XL at all.

My older Lumia 1520 worked on all those four chargers listed above.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The old horizontal plate has three Qi coils in it, making it easy for the receiving Qi coil in the phone to get a good "connection" even if you put the phone on the plate a bit off center. The vertical stand has only one coil since, by its design, one can't place the put the phone off center (since gravity pulls the phone down to the bottom of the stand). Thus, the design of the stand require that all phones placed on it have their receiving Qi coil at roughly the same height from the bottom of the device. The coil for the 950 XL is not at that height.

Turning the phone to landscape works, but you have to place it very carefully to get good coil alignment. I place it with top of the volume up key just about 3/16" (4-ish mm) right of the left edge of the stand. This seems to start charging and prevents occasional disconnect/reconnect events that cause the phone to make the "I'm charging" sound.

cb950xl

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I have the DT-903 and it will charge the 950XL, but the Bluetooth will not pair. They do have a DT-904 for the 950XL, but the spec's seems to be the same as the DT-903. I just bought the 903 Oct. 25. I hope I don't have to buy a 904 to get the Bluetooth to work.

MobileGorilla

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I got the DT-910 charging and the trick, although really slow, is to have your Lumia 950XL standing sideways in a horizontal position. I think a better use of the DT-910 is as an overnight charger by my bed. I'll see how it goes tonight ;)

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Just a shot in the dark but if the 950XL is too tall to to hit the coils rightside up have you tried setting it in upside down???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon