Going to Insider launch event - should I buy?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I was lucky enough to be invited for Windows 10 Lumia launch event in the UK. Of course I am going. For those who have followed my posts here and on front page would know that I am on fence. Not only about going, buying etc. But on fence about staying on WP or going iOS.

My sole logic is:
1) Microsoft ecosystem where I am HEAVILY invested in with passes and subscriptions, is not locked to a device.
2) Microsoft apps are same or better on every platform.
3) Microsoft's new flagships at launch are exactly similarly priced on UK tariffs (saving may be ?50-?100 on upfront costs) as iPhone 6s is.
4) Resale value. I've not made more than ?120 on any WP sale in last 6 years (includes WM) but I've tried to buy 2 years old iPhone 5s, used and it still fetches ?180 at least.

Now, guys in this forum have already got their hands on Lumia 950 XL. If I do buy Lumia flagship it will be XL, not 950. Just being a spec w###e, here. Nothing else. In your experience, would you recommend someone with my mindset to go and impulse buy XL tomorrow at Insider event? It will be offered at same price as pre-order, with free dock and Office 365 subscription for a year.

Has your Windows Phone life changed for better after getting a Lumia 950 XL? Or is it just not a good practical choice and you've regretted your decision after a day but have been quiet about it? Any reason you would recommend me to hold off buying this and just stick to my 930?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I am extremely happy with my 950XL. But take into consideration my personality:

1. I have always been an early adopter. Been beta-testing MS operating systems since Windows ME. All my computers were on Windows 10 back when the build numbers were four digits. So W10M not being "finished" and the bugs and things that don't always work do not particularly bother me.
2. I was very loud about how Microsoft needs to stop with the endless variants and build one phone with one firmware that worked everywhere, had high-end hardware, removable storage, removable battery and QI charging, unlocked and unbranded. They pretty much built exactly the phone I asked for, and threw in Continuum which I also am excited about, so I feel kind of obligated to have it.
3. I root for the underdog. Heck, I voted for Ron Paul every time he ran. So rather than complain and switch because some apps aren't available, I find a way to live without them.

If your personality is similar, you will not be disappointed with the 950XL. If you're impatient and expect everything to work now without any futzing around, maybe not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes