Upgrading from Lumia 1020

mrmeyer

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
I'm thinking about upgrading from my 1020 to the new 950. I'm not sure if I actually need the new features like Hello or Continuum. But my 1020 camera running Win 10 Mobile sometimes gets a lag. How is the speed of the 950 compared to the 1020? How about picture quality?

Then I have to decide if I want one from the MS store (I've read about some issues with data not working, and my old 1020 won't fit in the 950), or just go with the AT&T 950 for the dual charging standards. Not a lot of drawbacks to sticking with AT&T now that carrier blocking is a thing of the past.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
it's quite good upgrade, one thing I really hate about my lumia 1020 was the time taking pictures and time it takes to save pics,i'd say it's very close and hard to tell which is better both give great still images,i have no regrets,also with the fact of getting many other windows 10 features without the lag.

take that upgrade step bro

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Have the 950 and I can say the camera launch button is immediate. Much better than the L925 I had. I think you will really like it

Travis Flenker

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Can definitely say that photo lag is gone. The limiting factor on how quickly you can take photos is focusing, but it's pretty minimal.

I switched form a 1020 as well and am very happy to have done so.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
This would be a HUGE upgrade. Speed will be massively improved.

As for AT&T vs unlocked... I would go with the AT&T version. It feels like a worse deal, but my guess is sorry on the AT&T network will be better with the locked version.

I believe HD voice support is only working on the locked version. I'm also guessing that if WiFi calling comes out it may only work on the locked version. And as you mentioned, you'll be able to get a nano Sim (1020 use micro I believe) that will work with LTE with no problems.

On the downside, you'll pay $50 more for a locked phone. On the upside, you can do the NEXT plan which is basically an interest free loan.

After seeing my boss buy the XL unlocked and not able to get it to work with LTE on AT&T, I was glad I spent the extra in the end. He ended up having to return it and get an AT&T 950.

hirsti99

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from the 1020 and all I can say is wow...
it is so much faster on everything.
If like me you are one that bought the 1020 for the photo capabilities you will probably be disappointed with how difficult it was to take a photo with it, the number of times I tried to take a photo and gave up because it either didn't load the camera or froze or corrupted the photo or was so slow that I missed the shot. It became so bad I stopped bothering to even try to take a photo.
The 950 is amazing for photo's, the speed is very quick and trouble free. There are plenty of cool features like the live images ut my favourite is the ability to take 4K video and then take a photo after the even from the video. In fact they have made it really easy to do, all you have to do is hold down the photo button, whilst it is held down it automatically records in 4K, when you let go of the photo button it stops. You can then flick through the footage at a later time frame by frame and save the still photo you want.
Go ahead and upgrade, coming from the 1020 you wont be disappointed.

Ygglens

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
For what I use the phones for, the 1020 and 950 are mjust about as smooth and fast, except for taking pictures and browsing the net, where the 950 takes the lead.

I am a hoby photographer, and use mye phone as my main and only camera. I love doing macro shots, and artsy stuff, and to me the 950 wins out over the 1020, just slightly. Enough for me to think the upgrade was worth it.
I do, however, miss the 1020's reframe function, where you were allways able to go back the the original, after a crop.

Over all, the cameras perform about the same. The 1020 has a more powerfull flash, but the flash on the 950 gives more natural collors... The 950 ios way faster in taking and prosessing pictures.

All in all, the 950 is an awesome phone, with a very slightly better camera. It charges as fast as God, so there's another pluss.

Matt Rundle

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I would reset the 1020 if it continues go back to 8.1 it's a software problem not the 1020 that's the problem.
wait until the camera gets an update

They do this with every phone!
all are unique and react differently and because it's still a preview and not a proper release of windows 10 it's not fully ready (the official release is the 1 you want to have).

Matt Rundle

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
say that because mine's the 1020, it's a good phone ;)
the main benefits for the 950xl is continum which is the equivent of using a regular PC that's the difference you use your phone to do your pc tasks.
and win Hello just another way to unlock your phone not a massive loss

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I like them both, and I don't need the continuum and hello features either. I will definitely be keeping the 1020 for photography, and at 8.1 because it works fine. I never experienced the speed and other photo problems others have reported. To me the major advantages of the 950, are the storage expandability, and the replaceable battery. I would not have been a day-one adopter, nor even an early adopter of a new device-with-new-OS, but for these two factors. The 1020 was always a major compromise on these two counts, particularly because the 1020 photo and video files are so wonderfully large. I also have a wonderfully large music collection, significantly enhanced through my long-held MSFT music passes. The 1020 just never cut it for me storage-wise; using it as a dedicated camera is working fine. The 950 camera is also excellent, but does not compare. The 1020 grip (with-tripod-attachability) is also unmatched. The other advantages of the 950 are related to the W10 advantages: the Edge browser, usb-c/speed-charging, and other speed advantages (yes, including some camera matters) being primary. The 950 is too tall for my needs/tastes, but it is also slightly narrower, and significantly lighter and thinner.

Every choice in life involves compromising; We're fortunate to have two excellent phone options.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
W10 didn't make my 1020 better in any way.

I went back to 8.1 a couple of days later. Highly recommended.

JettleMania

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
W10 didn't make my 1020 better in any way.

I went back to 8.1 a couple of days later. Highly recommended.

Yes, I decided some time ago there was no value in moving my 1020 to Win 10 Mobile -- I could not find, really, a single advantage. Sure, the interface is updated and slick (on my new 950 xl) but it seemed to cripple the one selling point of the 1020 -- the camera. That said, I'm pretty satisfied with the 950/xl camera performance and will simply keep my 1020 as an 8.1 backup device, now.

Anamnesis

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Well I have been using a 950 over the weekend and have pretty much decided that I will be selling it and returning to my trusty 1020. Just too many issues with the device. About the only benefit for me was the expandable memory and the faster camera load time and focus, but that is far outweighed by the fact that the battery life is woeful, the wifi just won't stay connected (5G or 2.5), GrooveMusic is the absolute pits and doesn't even remember the last track that was playing...Hello Windows and Hey Cortana work 40% of the time at best...the phone doesn't show you the image you are taking (in fact sooo much processing seems to be going on in the background that you can't even preview a shot for almost 4-5 seconds after taking it, which is all well and good for set up shots, but absolutely useless for random grabs or long exposures!).

Sadly this turned out to be one of those "stick with what you know" moments. Whilst the 1020 is, for lack of a better word, a bit clunky by comparison, it is a much smoother and 'common sense' phone than the 950.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Well I have been using a 950 over the weekend and have pretty much decided that I will be selling it and returning to my trusty 1020.
Have you tried what's been suggested, like hard reset, don't restore your settings from a W8.1 phone backup, and updating it?
I'm not saying you should disable everything, I just think it may be worth some testing.

Don't expect the battery to work as expected for the first week, or maybe even more.

Anamnesis

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried what's been suggested, like hard reset, don't restore your settings from a W8.1 phone backup, and updating it?
I'm not saying you should disable everything, I just think it may be worth some testing.

Don't expect the battery to work as expected for the first week, or maybe even more.

I have done soo many hard resets, with and without back up... no avail... as soon as my display dock arrives the thing is going on eBay.... I have been back using my 1020 (Windows 10 Developer) for the last 3 weeks and it has been bliss :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes