Is this device for me? HP elite x3 vs BB Dtek60

ViktorOTitov

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Dear professionals! Dear friends! Help me, please!
I am from Russia. And I decided to buy effective device for business with lte for my daily work (I want to replace my notebook and iPhone 7 plus) at home, on the road and in office to be more productive.
For me the main things I need are portability, convenience in typing (I use MS Office a lot, about 10 hours a day), and also autonomy. I am working in the sphere of science, so I work with a lot of researches and databases. I need to use productive browser and ms office, adobe acrobat dc. And, of course, I like to watch movies in the evening. I am also doing a lot of administrative work, that is why I always have hundreds emails every day and I should response on them very quickly. Of course, I use WhatsApp, Viber, Skype, VK, Facebook to make productive discussions with my colleagues. I heard that it is possible to use continium program (I have two monitors 23 inches) and can buy a lap dock.
So the question is, whether HP Elite X3 will satisfy all my needs?
I have also another variant - to buy Blackberry Dtek60.
I've heard, that this device is for business too. Many thanks!

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The Elite x3 would be a far more productive device...as far as typing out emails, using Microsoft Office, and making more effective use of the big screen goes. Continuum really is powerful and the Elite x3 is a beast of a device.
However...the Dtek60 runs Android. It's going to have the Blackberry suite of apps and it's going to have access to Google Play. Apps will be plentiful, and they will be high quality.

The Elite x3 is no doubt the better phone. And Continuum is awesome. But you can't ignore the fact that the Dtek60 is an Android phone, and that gives it a lot of advantages. I would suggest the Elite x3 but I also suggest you make sure the apps you need that AREN'T Microsoft apps (i.e. Facebook, WhatsApp, Viber) are suitable quality on Windows 10 Mobile.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I am from Russia. And I decided to buy effective device for business with lte for my daily work (I want to replace my notebook and iPhone 7 plus) at home, on the road and in office to be more productive.
For me the main things I need are portability, convenience in typing (I use MS Office a lot, about 10 hours a day), and also autonomy. I am working in the sphere of science, so I work with a lot of researches and databases. I need to use productive browser and ms office, adobe acrobat dc. And, of course, I like to watch movies in the evening. I am also doing a lot of administrative work, that is why I always have hundreds emails every day and I should response on them very quickly. Of course, I use WhatsApp, Viber, Skype, VK, Facebook to make productive discussions with my colleagues. I heard that it is possible to use continium program (I have two monitors 23 inches) and can buy a lap dock.
Coming from an iPhone 7 plus there. If it were me and I had a choice to move from iOS to either Windows Mobile or Android, I'd choose Windows no questions asked. I could not have said that 2 years ago though...
Have you ever used a windows mobile device/phone?

If not, I think you should give it a try. But don't expect the x3 to satisfy ALL your needs. The office suite on Windows Mobile is not the same as the desktop version, but it's pretty darn close and works well. Depending on what you'll expect from the office suite on your laptop it could differ some. Outlook on Windows 10 Mobile works great. Email is a pleasure to me on Windows Mobile and to this day is still my favorite default app.

I bet you'll be surprised though at the things you are able to do that you did on iOS or could do on Android. Apple has some cool tricks in their iOS that allow ease of use, and i feel Windows Mobile has caught onto this over the years and it's helped me to appreciate my Windows mobile devices.

Lastly in my opinion the x3 is superior in platform, design, quality and also to mention the support you can get on it.

Ask more questions if your still unsure.

ViktorOTitov

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Thank You very much for Your amazing answers. I have few questions:
1) Browser. Is the Edge browser on Elitex3 is similar to Safari on iphone 7 plus and Chrome on Pixel? No lags, very fast?
2) File system: is it open, like on win 10 pro? Can I download files with ease like on BB10? No clouds like in iOS? And, f.e., can I put files from the device to the external USB flash?
3) Outlook: on iPhone 7 plus it works great. The same on Elite x3?
4) Is the MS Word is really different from the original MS Word on win 10 pro or Mac OS?
Thank You!

Pynchmail

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
Thank You very much for Your amazing answers. I have few questions:
1) Browser. Is the Edge browser on Elitex3 is similar to Safari on iphone 7 plus and Chrome on Pixel? No lags, very fast?
2) File system: is it open, like on win 10 pro? Can I download files with ease like on BB10? No clouds like in iOS? And, f.e., can I put files from the device to the external USB flash?
3) Outlook: on iPhone 7 plus it works great. The same on Elite x3?
4) Is the MS Word is really different from the original MS Word on win 10 pro or Mac OS?
Thank You!

My reply is for Windows 10 mobile in general:
1. Yes, Edge is fast, similar to Chrome and Safari.
2. Yes. File system is like Windows 10, you can move files to and from PCs/USB flash and other devices.
3. Outlook on Windows 10 mobile works great.
4. MS Word is not as full featured on mobile.

ViktorOTitov

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Thank You!
I have heard about HP Workspace.
Can I open full MS Office Apps via this Workspace, which are the same as on Win10Pro?
What apps can I open else without lags? Do they work fast?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thank You!
I have heard about HP Workspace.
Can I open full MS Office Apps via this Workspace, which are the same as on Win10Pro?
What apps can I open else without lags? Do they work fast?
Work space is just that. A virtual work environment that you access from your phone, but I'm not sure if it is limited to only being available while using continuum or not. I have not used it myself. You can run almost anything you want from HP Workspace...Chrome/Desktop version of Microsoft Office. The speed is dependent on your network/internet connection, but I'm not familiar on how much they might lag. Daniel Rubino had posted some details on his use of HP Workspace, but I'm sure others have opted to use it too.

Pynchmail

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
My personal view is that the Elite x3 plus lap dock can be useful when you are on the road. At home and office, I do not suggest that the Elite x3 replace your notebook or desktop. This is especially so when notebook are not that expensive these days. For a little more than the price of the lap dock, you can get a good notebook to complement the Elite x3

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to play devil's advocate (to some people) and promote the DTEK60 here...

- Higher quality apps (apps get features sooner on Android and are faster, more stable in general)
- More apps (they exist too, so that odd business application might not be on Windows, many Microsoft apps are iOS and Android first as well)
- Blackberry apps (Blackberry's Hub and PIM suite is top-notch and the virtual keyboard is excellent.)
- More reliable (Windows 10 Mobile is slowly improving but it still isn't that hard to encounter bugs and oddities that I don't on Android, perhaps ironically considering both Android's and Windows Phone's past)
- More predictable (on Android you know an app likely isn't going to be pulled, but on Windows 10 Mobile, apps come and apps are removed and one of them may be something you need.)
- More features (Android has more bells and whistles, and more potential. You don't need to use them you don't want to.)
- Better access to Google services.
- Microsoft Office is about the same on both devices.
- I think Continuum needs to improve and having two devices in tune using the cloud (e.g. OneDrive) is a good choice as well.
- I'm not convinced Microsoft Edge on mobile is quite up to the level of say, Chrome on Android.

Also take cost into account.

ViktorOTitov

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Thanks! I am using my iPhone 7 plus for everyday work (calls, email, business apps, office, social networks, bank apps) and notebook (MacBook 12) for original office and files. And I always carry them both in my pocket and bag. That is why I want one device to replace two devices to be more productive. But after few hp elite x3 reviews, I thought it will be very hard to do this - lack of apps and Workspace works very problematically.

ViktorOTitov

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Dear Xandros9! Thank You! The cost of the device for me is not important. I want to make my work more productive. And I think, that with the iPhone I am step behind my competitors.

aespix

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Blackberry priv user here and I have a lumia 950 xl,

I think honestly don't get the elite x3 just yet, it's still in beta and you'll not enjoy the experience. HP are working hard at it and will eventually get this device to work the way it needs to.

I'd recommend getting the dtek60 solely because the interface is brilliant, I use my Priv and I'm still in love with it and iv been using it for a year now and it has my pkb which I need.

I use my xl a lot as well recently and my priv is slowly starting to take a back seat but just when I feel like I can rely on my xl I have an app shortage.

I have both so I don't feel it.

Would I use Windows as my daily driver as a working professional? Yes.

As my personal phone? No.

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Viktor,

I am a Windows Lover and I am using Windows on all machines for business and personal. I am an IT professional and I can handle anything, the machines throw at me. I am also responsible for small to medium, professional iOS deployments and am also using several ipads in the household for personal use.

If cost is not of concern, go ahead and give it a try. Be aware, that with an iPhone 7+ and a recent MBP you are already on top of the game. IMO, continuum is a great thing. I do not know HP workspace from personal experience, but yes, it lets you use full Office on full windows. There are additional costs tied to that and it can not be bought for a single user, afaik. I think I read about minimum ten licenses, but this may be wrong or outdated information. Just do not take it for granted without further research. Office kind of sucks on Mac, IMO.

Also, do beforehand check, if there are good enough apps for your personal needs present on the platform. E.g. banking could be a problem - it is hit and miss. Video is great, but if you would e.g. want to watch Amazon prime video, it would be via Dock in the browser or not at all. No App for that.

Also, any 6" full touch device will never ever be more productive than any laptop form factor for the work the big formfactor is built. Laws of physics and all. And if you carry the X3 and the lapdock, you will still have two devices.

Despite myself loving windows and even using it on the mobile formfactor, I would advise you to simply try or rather back off of it (depending on your willingness and / or ability to sink the money needed for that).

To get a feeling for Windows 10 mobile, you can also get a Lumia 950XL for some small hundred ?. Seriously and despite being a huge fan - the iPhone 7+ is unbelievably great for 'just use' usecases.

Tell us, how it went 👍

Best regards,
Corwin

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
PS: I do not touch Android, as it is a security-trainwreck. The DTEKs are the only exception of that. Bit I would never consider a DTEK60 instead of a 7+.

Pynchmail

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
Yes, if security is important, you have to stay with Apple iOS or go with Windows 10 Mobile. If you really want to go the Android route, in addition to DTEKs, you can also look at Samsung Galaxy handset with Samsung Knox, Many organisations do not allow their data to be stored on hand phones other than the above devices.

ViktorOTitov

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Dear friends!
Thank You very much for all these comments.
Dear Corwin_Amber! What do You like in Your Win10Mob device? Do You have HP Elite x3?
Cons about my IPhone 7 Plus: The main problem about iOS, that it doesn't have good file manager, I always need to send mails with a lot of attachments and it is not possible with iOS. Everyday I receive hundreds of emails and I have to respond on them quickly. But on iPhone it is impossible, because the mail app updates automatically only every 15 min.
Pros: I love the screen of my IPhone 7 Plus. iTunes is fantastic, I have a lot of music in my playlist, so I am listening it in the car, when driving from home to work. Camera (I always photo documents) is great. Recorder is great too. Bank apps work great, I mean Apple Pay and etc., social networks work great (FB, VK, Viber, WhatsApp, BBM).
So the question is, whether HP Elite x3 will satisfy all my needs?
Maybe I should go for Google Pixel XL? I have red a lot about Android, that it is much better than iOS for work.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
you need a secretary not a new phone dear friend.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Dear friends!
Thank You very much for all these comments.
Dear Corwin_Amber! What do You like in Your Win10Mob device? Do You have HP Elite x3?
Cons about my IPhone 7 Plus: The main problem about iOS, that it doesn't have good file manager, I always need to send mails with a lot of attachments and it is not possible with iOS. Everyday I receive hundreds of emails and I have to respond on them quickly. But on iPhone it is impossible, because the mail app updates automatically only every 15 min.
Pros: I love the screen of my IPhone 7 Plus. iTunes is fantastic, I have a lot of music in my playlist, so I am listening it in the car, when driving from home to work. Camera (I always photo documents) is great. Recorder is great too. Bank apps work great, I mean Apple Pay and etc., social networks work great (FB, VK, Viber, WhatsApp, BBM).
So the question is, whether HP Elite x3 will satisfy all my needs?
Maybe I should go for Google Pixel XL? I have red a lot about Android, that it is much better than iOS for work.

Viktor, it seems you're not using your iPhone to its full potential. Yes, it's true that iOS does not have a file manager and that's its biggest failing for business users like yourself. A simple solution for your email needs is to download Outlook from the App Store and that will solve 2 of your issues. First, Outlook will allow attachments other than photos and you can attach multiple files of varying types (photos, PDFs, Word docs, etc.). Second, you need to set your email to push rather than scheduled. Not only will you get your emails quicker but it will improve your battery life by not having your email client polling the server every 15 minutes. Another tip is to use CamScanner to send your docs as a PDF rather than a photo. You can send the doc straight from the app and save a few steps. As a loyal Windows fan I'd rather you enjoy your iPhone than to get the HP and have the same issues you're having now and then bad-mouth the platform. Give it a whirl and then decide if switching platforms will fit your needs better.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Second, you need to set your email to push rather than scheduled. Not only will you get your emails quicker but it will improve your battery life by not having your email client polling the server every 15 minutes.
Forgive me as I have always thought the opposite was true, I have outlook hit the server every 1 hour and email syncs, I thought with Push set to always on (getting them quicker) then battery life was reduced. with push selected his phone could be beeping and syncing every 5 seconds or so going by the hundreds of emails he gets, at least with 15 mins schedule is a one off hit to the server and all email syncs, I am not trying to be controversial here I am genuinely curious as I have always avoided push thinking it drained the battery.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Forgive me as I have always thought the opposite was true, I have outlook hit the server every 1 hour and email syncs, I thought with Push set to always on (getting them quicker) then battery life was reduced. with push selected his phone could be beeping and syncing every 5 seconds or so going by the hundreds of emails he gets, at least with 15 mins schedule is a one off hit to the server and all email syncs, I am not trying to be controversial here I am genuinely curious as I have always avoided push thinking it drained the battery.

With Push though you get emails as they arrive, which can be helpful for time-sensitive manners.

I think push's power usage depends on the volume of email received but yea it tends to use more power, but the lack of latency may be worth it for some.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon