Best android alternative to Lumia 950

stephanejap

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
None have it out of the box. I found that the Android Auto app handles hands free in the car pretty well...

Last edited:

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I've had the Essential PH-1 for about 3 weeks now. The phone is beautiful and ASOP android is great, much better than any bloatware bogged down android device I've played with in the past.
I switched launchers a few times (stock launcher3, Microsoft/Arrow, Nova, Lawnchair, Pixel) but have been using the Pixel launcher for a few days now and I like the simplicity. I really like the Google Now feed, so all launchers I have tried I added that ability except for the Microsoft Launcher since that has it's own feed which is ok as well.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok... I give, the killing of groove music and forced migration to Spotify has broken my back on this. I've decided that rather than buying a new screen protector and battery (which has become seemingly hard to find anyway) It's time for me to consider migration to another phone I can't stand the iPhone gui, drives me nuts, I can't explain why.... Just ick. So I think after watching some Microsoft launcher demo videos, and the fact that I can make Cortana default voice assistant in android, it might be time to pull the trigger, although with great reluctance.

Which phone would be best for a Lumia convert? I love my camera, so I'd want a similar to camera, with physical camera button, or mapped accordingly when camera is open, and wireless qi charging. I'll be on ATT for what It's worth. I'll probably change the launcher to launcher 10 or arrow.

Anything else I should be considering?

I'm sure its been asked before, but of the quick sampling i got, a lot of the requests are from Europe, or looking for midrange devices. I'll probably finance through att next, so rather than limit choices, throw them at me.

It's there any hope for a Microsoft OS'ed phone in the near future, should I hold on to hope (only to likely be stabbed in the other leg by Microsoft ?)

I find this all just..... Very..... Frustrating. Microsoft is It's own worst enemy, I swear, and Nadella while he seems to be making the board very happy, doesn't even seem to have consumer relations in his view, which will likely prove disastrous. But none of that is something I can change. I can however change my phone. :(

This is going to sound a bit nuts but I'm treading carefully and going to buy a new HTC One M8 and see how I get on by getting as many windows/microsoft services as possible to run on it.

I've never had any phone other than windows phone so I don't want to rush into a super expensive android phone agreement and not enjoy it.

Right now you can pick up a brand new HTC one M8 for £150 on eBay. The only issue I have is that it officially stopped getting android updates after marshmallow (6.0) but I'm going to see if I can flash it to version 7 or even 8. If it doesn't work at least it's not like I've lost a fortune.

But ultimately this is going to be a slow transition for me. I'm still going to be using my 950 as my daily phone and don't see that changing for at least a year (I've just bought a new battery for it).

Like you, I'm incredibly frustrated that I'm having to buy and experiment with new phones and platforms.

Whatever new mobile device Microsoft comes out with, I think it won't arrive for a while so we have no choice

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
After using an HTC Trophy, Lumia 822, Lumia 928, Lumia 735 and Lumia Icon, I went with the LG G6. I landed on it for a few reasons. I couldn't stomach the price of the S8 (and its variants) or the Pixel line. I found a used G6 locally for $280 that was only 2 months old. LG doesn't seem to hold resell value very well, which was good for me. I should note that I'm on Verizon so my options were a bit more limited. My first look was for an HTC U11 (but wasn't feature complete on VZW) and then the Sony Xperia ZX Premium, which didn't work on Verizon.

It has "glance," wireless charging, and sd support, and a good camera, which were my priorities. No dedicated camera button, which sucks (I wanted the U11 because the "squeeze" function apparently can act as a camera button).

wp patrick

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Maybe the Honor 9 for me. It is hard to find alternatives for the windows 10 Mobile the Google pixel 2 xl is the great one but also expensive. I am owner of the Nokia lumia 930 but replacement is now. Do you have another options for me which one is better it i need some help for that.

nlsclint

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
Ok... I give, the killing of groove music and forced migration to Spotify has broken my back on this. I've decided that rather than buying a new screen protector and battery (which has become seemingly hard to find anyway) It's time for me to consider migration to another phone I can't stand the iPhone gui, drives me nuts, I can't explain why.... Just ick. So I think after watching some Microsoft launcher demo videos, and the fact that I can make Cortana default voice assistant in android, it might be time to pull the trigger, although with great reluctance.

Which phone would be best for a Lumia convert? I love my camera, so I'd want a similar to camera, with physical camera button, or mapped accordingly when camera is open, and wireless qi charging. I'll be on ATT for what It's worth. I'll probably change the launcher to launcher 10 or arrow.

I'm sure its been asked before, but of the quick sampling i got, a lot of the requests are from Europe, or looking for midrange devices. I'll probably finance through att next, so rather than limit choices, throw them at me.

It's there any hope for a Microsoft OS'ed phone in the near future, should I hold on to hope (only to likely be stabbed in the other leg by Microsoft ?)

I find this all just..... Very..... Frustrating. Microsoft is It's own worst enemy, I swear, and Nadella while he seems to be making the board very happy, doesn't even seem to have consumer relations in his view, which will likely prove disastrous. But none of that is something I can change. I can however change my phone. :(

So I switched a few months ago to a Samsung Galaxy S8+ for the same reasons you have stated. I don't like the OS at all - the only thing that makes it bearable is the Microsoft launcher. Still, I can't understand how Android made it as far as they did and WM OS failed. I guess it is as you stated they are their own worst enemy with no consumer focus and to add they are horrible at advertising. Whatever you choose good luck. I am still waiting on the supposed surface phone.

frangalive

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Yo también estoy considerando el Nokia 8. Echaré en falta la carga inalámbrica, pero por contra la carga es rápida, así que tampoco pasa nada. Creo que pasaré de mi 950 al Nokia 8.

CronGM

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I went with the Galaxy S8+ since May and other than the Live Tiles there's not much I miss from my old 950 XL. The bloatware I didn't find that distracting or annoying. I installed Microsoft's apps from the first day and those are the ones I use on a daily basis. I've completely disabled Bixby, and other Samsungs apps do not pester me with notifications.

It has a very good camera, so you won't be missing the Lumia one that much (though in very specific conditions I swear it performed better than the S8's).

I've actually come to like the Samsung skin. Using the dark theme (with orange highlights) it looks very similar to the setup I had on the Lumia 950, and if you don't like the default launcher you can change it for whatever you like. I'm keeping an eye on the SquareHome launcher to have a similar look to Windows Phone, but the truth is I find the TouchWiz launcher quite usable. I also gave Microsoft Launcher a spin and it's pretty nice.

So you've got plenty of options with Android, and that's the most important thing, specially coming from WP.

PS: I downloaded the DailyPic app to have Bing wallpapers changed daily and they look gorgeous on the S8's display.

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I think I have a spare both if you are interested, send me a PM.

I am holding on to my 950 for as long as I can for some of these reasons ... I agree, I can't stand iOS (I have to use it for work). I am in the exact same boat as you. Qi for me is a must as I have outfitted just about everywhere I go with chargers. One big thing I love about my 950, is with the removable battery, I was able to place the magnetic disk from my car mount inside the back cover, so Qi still works! The one place I do charge "corded" is in the car. Can't do that with a Qi enabled phone with out a removable battery!

jbrown9100

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
One plus had caught my attention, where would one typically be purchased in the us?

In looking at atts offerings, they only seem to offer the galaxy s8 and lg v30/20 as high end offerings. Any thoughts on those? I'm willing to byod to att with the one touch, just makes my purchasing choices different. Lol

I had the AT&T LG V30 for a couple of days before I cracked the screen from a 2 foot drop. My replacement is A Galaxy Note 8. It was a blessing because I like the Note a while out better. I definitely feels a lot more durable.

villeeledstam

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
For all of you who haven't gone with the S8 already:

Any flagship phone today is better than the entire Lumia line, but I would recommend any of the later Huawei/honor devices. I have an older lite version myself but the camera is still pretty good, and the newer ones are said to be really good. Huawei branded phones are often notably cheaper than the bigger brands like Samsung, but they work just as well.

I previously used a launcher app called SquareHome2 to make the homescreen look like win10, but I switched to Microsoft Launcher as soon as I updated my PC to Fall Creators Update.

MediaCastleX

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
My job had an offer on Motorola e4 plus at half price, so I got just to try... My only real couple of gripes with the native apps not going away, to apps local only storage, and while launcher and MS experiences translating over, they're still only there and not totally in it, I almost wish they could get deeper in there

JettleMania

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Correction: You won't be disappointed with Launcher 10 if you stick to the basics, meaning resist adding widgets. Widgets are not recovered in a restore scenario. That's generally forgivable b/c they're easy enough to recreate... unless you buried on in a folder. In that event, you not only lose access to said folder, you also cannot see/interact with it, but the "phantom" folder continues to chew up screen real estate and gladly accept wayward icons you might drop into it. (Those, too, become invisible/inaccessible.)

So easy to recreate. Drop one or more widgets into a folder--any folder--do a backup, then restore the backup and... voila!

WARNING: The only way to recover is to uninstall, reinstall and build your desktop from scratch!

Shared this with the developer months ago; to-date, he's failed to respond or address the issue.

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Anybody know if cortana can be made to read text messages and parse scheduling from it, that's one feature that I do really miss. Also hey Cortana, but the long press is just as fast right now. I'm trying to use as few Google services as possible, and I find OK Google obtrusive.

I'm working through the niggles, overall, I'd say it's three steps forward and two back.

mdcoo

Nov 6, 2017
Visit site

Coming from Lumia 640, I was a very happy user. The phone was perfect, for it's value!
I'm a mobile user since '98, but the Microsoft Lumia, with it's OS8.1 & later 10 were the best I have ever seen.

Now having a OnePlus 5, more or less happy, except the unlogical and poor quality Android OS. Perhaps Android 8 / Oreo will improve, but no trust.

If Microsoft ever launches a new Mobile again, I will be first buying it. (unless it has the ridiculous prices like the Apple devices.

The OnePlus 5 I have now, I purchased for 499 Euro. With Amoled and Snapdragon 835 and 6GB memory and 64GB storage it's not bad. (oh for the 2 SIM users, it has double-SIM capacity.)

Dare2Blink

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I switched a couple of months ago from a 950xl to a note 8 and am very happy. Yes the camera is not as good but it's still pretty good and very fast. Also love the stylus, the water resistance and omg the screen is amazing

joanzen

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had the LG V30 (Verizon) for about 3 weeks now. The transition to Android continues to be...ummmm...interesting... I have to admit it; it's pretty great having such a selection of apps! But you're asking about hardware. I have absolutely no complaints about the V30. It's a beautiful piece of hardware. The screen is nice, the performance is great, and the camera is fantastic. There's wireless charging and expandable storage. The fingerprint reader works great and is in the perfect location (Samsung GS8 WTH?). I don't use the headphone jack as I've switched to Bluetooth earbuds, but the jack is still there, if that's important to you. The $200 Visa gift card and VR headset promotion were nice also.

I haven't tried Microsoft Launcher, but am using Cortana, Outlook, and OneDrive. I find it amazing that Outlook doesn't allow the sorting of my contacts by last name, but otherwise all the Microsoft apps I've tried work really well. No regrets so far.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes