HTC 8X appears to have just died; won't turn on again...

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
As I've already stated, my phone was plugged in numerous times since it died on Friday approx. 10.30AM GMT. The battery app that accessed when the phone rebooted yesterday (Monday) showed that the battery level had been falling at a very steady rate since the phone went belly up. This, remember, was in spite of the phone being plugged into several different power sources.

To put it as simply as I can, TODAY(Tuesday) was the day the UPS guy was coming to collect my phone to send to a HTC repair centre and I had pretty much resigned myself to this fact; I was going to be without a phone for up to two weeks and would have lost all my data upon it's return. YESTERDAY(Monday), at around 5.30PM GMT, I plugged the phone into my laptop to see if anything changed, not expecting anything. At this point, the battery level on the phone was at around 10 or 15%. Bear in mind, I didn't know this, the battery could have been at 100% or 1% for all I knew.

As I said, nothing happened for at least two hours after that (I had pretty much forgotten I had even plugged the phone in), as the phone steadily decreased in battery level, eventually hitting zero or close to zero at around 7.20PM GMT. I suspect this was the time the phone actually sprang back into life. As I said above in earlier posts, I heard the telltale *bleep* of the laptop as it tried to recognize new hardware. Shortly thereafter, the familiar red LED began blinking, which, as well all know, is indicative of a charge. And basically, from then on, it charged as expected, although I did note that it took an unusual space of time to build to the halfway mark.

Furthermore, I've noticed some peculiar behaviour by the battery. The Battery App I use (which I highly recommned, link here), showed that between 10.00PM GMT last night, and 02.00AM GMT, the battery did not decline AT ALL, it was stuck at 61% for FOUR HOURS. This was despite me using it for at least 2 or 3 hours of the 4. No, I very much doubt that's a sign that battery life has dramatically improved since the update, I'd imagine the battery has been compromised in some way. So that's a worry. Pic attached.
https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

I should also note, that I had a random reset today, where the phone rebooted, but I may have pressed the power button in my pocket. Unlikely though.

SO, to recap:
*Leave your phone for as long as possible off a charge

*DO NOT have it unplugged if you suspect the battery to be running dry (I'm not sure of the implications of that, but it's best not to take the risk)

*Maybe have it plugged into a computer rather than a wall socket, the PC might aid you in recgonising the phone

*When you belive the battery to be at 10 or 15%, even slightly more, plug it into your PC. From there, you just have to play the waiting game. Bide your time while the battery eventually runs out of it's own accord, at which point, it should be kickstarted by the connection to your PC.

*Hopefully, the phone will slowly reboot. Bear in mind, it'll still be a brick for at least 30 mins or so, while the battery accumulates enough of a charge to power the screen and hardware.

*After this, your phone should be back to normal, with perhaps a few irregularities.

AS A SIDE NOTE; I estimate that my phone took in and around 72 hours to completely discharge from an initial 90% charge on FRIDAY. Obviously this will vary dependant on the phone, but use that as a rough guide.
----------------
Hope this helps.

ricep

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I updated yesterday.

I have an unlocked, spanish HTC yellow 8X.

I haven't installed Whatsapp FYI

Today, with my battery at 95% I launched the music player, and I couldn't finish the first song and it got stuck.

No way to turn it on or SW/HW reboot.

Today I contacted HTC Spain, and they have no idea of the issue... but anyway they will be picking up my phone tomorrow.

I'll update accordingly ;)

Harsh Thakar

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Yaa Please update us Ricep, it will be really Helpful !!!

Because even i Had a Take with Htc today, and they are like, " We Have No Idea Of GDR2 issue like this " and i stated, just go home & Google, you will get list of whole lot of issue around the World ... That ***** Just Addressed me Simple Reboot option, Dumb people .....

Phexx

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I think I'm having a slightly different issue with my 8X
Ran the GDR2 update last night, battery was at around 60%, started update at 10pm-ish, all downloaded fine, phone rebooted as usual

I've had two spinning gears ever since. Nothing works. Tried hard/soft reset options, tried letting the battery run down completely, still nothing
The battery on mine also appears not to be charging, if I allow it to run down and plug back in, the 'charging' icon comes up showing the battery is still virtually dead, and it's been plugged in on and off all day
Everything I try to pushes me back to the spinning gears
It seems to me that the phone has either been unable to install the update or the update is corrupt - I could, of course, be totally wrong,

HTC have advised I go back to the retailer, who have advised they will send it for repair free of charge... which is great, but I can't shake the feeling that a repair wont fix it OR give me the ability to get the GDR2 update later on
HTC have also advised they will repair it
I am yet to try Milky Tee's suggestion, but I'm about to give it a go, wish me luck I guess.... anyone else having this issue? Any further suggestions for me to try?

ricep

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yaa Please update us Ricep, it will be really Helpful !!!

Because even i Had a Take with Htc today, and they are like, " We Have No Idea Of GDR2 issue like this " and i stated, just go home & Google, you will get list of whole lot of issue around the World ... That ***** Just Addressed me Simple Reboot option, Dumb people .....

The same thing happened to me with the girl @ HTC, they have no news of any issue with the update. She just prompted me to try the different ways to force reboot... no luck.

She even started listing me some of the benefits of the latest update, but she must have mispelled the model, because she was talking about the latest update of the HTC one instead of the 8X... I had patience with her, although I couldn't stop laughing when she told me "how the Google Play marketplace is much better with this update..." xD

I am waiting for the repair service to pick up my 8X... back to my old lumia 800. God I miss WP8.

Shaikh Aaftab Ahmed

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
finally my patience is dead , time to move towards and handover to service centre . milkytee u are one lucky guy but for me its 5th day expecting miracle . nothings happening or going right for me , very depressed ...
Also milkytee is ur phone working good or still experiencing lagginess , glitches in the UI .

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
finally my patience is dead , time to move towards and handover to service centre . milkytee u are one lucky guy but for me its 5th day expecting miracle . nothings happening or going right for me , very depressed ...
Also milkytee is ur phone working good or still experiencing lagginess , glitches in the UI .
Yeah, as I mentioned, there's a few oddities with the phone now.
The battery life is better, but I have a feeling that's actually too good to be true i.e. I don't think it's working correctly.
WiFi speeds are noticeably slower, but I think a few have mentioned that since the GDR2 update, and it's improved since yesterday.

I think it could be my imagination, but the phone lags a bit now, but I reckon thats due to the hangover after the recovery on Monday and should pass with time.

Other than that, it's pretty much identical to how it was before. As for your phone, did you take my advice? And there's been no change?

Shaikh Aaftab Ahmed

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
As i told u guyz before that after my battery got discharged and the display led turned off , i assumed my battery juice got entirely discharged and the only thing that happened was the phone got vibrated if power switch pressed . But now it is not even vibrating , so its my feeling that it got drained to the nil now . So again i am trying with milkytee methof of connecting my phone to usb via pc and leave it for couple of hours .
Wish me luck guyz , will update after 3 to 4 hours later.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
As i told u guyz before that after my battery got discharged and the display led turned off , i assumed my battery juice got entirely discharged and the only thing that happened was the phone got vibrated if power switch pressed . But now it is not even vibrating , so its my feeling that it got drained to the nil now . So again i am trying with milkytee methof of connecting my phone to usb via pc and leave it for couple of hours .
Wish me luck guyz , will update after 3 to 4 hours later.
Yeah, keep trying, but did you have it connected to a power sorce when you suspected it to be running very low on juice? Or did you miss that window?

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Shaikh Aaftab Ahmed

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Patience is the key , roger lopez hang in . Better wait or just forget ur phone for 3 to 4 days , let the baterry drain till the last breathe . And then plug the charger . Don't lose hope .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon