My Quantum died

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I was watching netflix this weekend when my phone just went dead. I have had this happen before while watching a movie and figured the battery had died. It was on the charger, so I just left it figuring it would be charged in the morning. Morning comes and the phone is displaying the 'LG' screen and wont boot. I removed the battery, still no boot. I left it on the charger all day and still, nothing.

LG says it is 'damaged' and must be sent in. Did not do any trouble shooting other than trying a cold boot before declaring the phone to be dead.

Fortunately, the mfg warranty is 1 year. So, back to LG it goes.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Bummer

I was watching netflix this weekend when my phone just went dead. I have had this happen before while watching a movie and figured the battery had died. It was on the charger, so I just left it figuring it would be charged in the morning. Morning comes and the phone is displaying the 'LG' screen and wont boot. I removed the battery, still no boot. I left it on the charger all day and still, nothing.

LG says it is 'damaged' and must be sent in. Did not do any trouble shooting other than trying a cold boot before declaring the phone to be dead.

Fortunately, the mfg warranty is 1 year. So, back to LG it goes.

Bummer man. I don't know what to tell ya.

At least you are going back for another Quantum! :cool:

Tobyus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Keep us posted on how long it takes to return it and get it replaced. Might be good to know in case it happens to anybody else. Sorry it had to happen to you though :( At least it's still under warranty!

Ivan006

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear that man. I hope you got to enjoy your show before it died. I wonder if you got a bad battery. Keep us posted.

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I did not update this post. The phone went to Texas and back in under the 7 to 10 business days they quoted me. Same phone as I sent in. I don't know if they changed the guts, but the chasis was the one I sent in. Phone works, but was wiped to factory new.

The issue still seems to be netflix. It appears that the Netflix app disables the power management system. I think it even disables the charging system. I mean the phone should be able to draw enough power to charge and run the hardware at the same time.

To recap, I was watching a Netflix movie when the battery died. The phone then refused to charge the battery.

Two nights ago, I was watching 'The IT Crowd'. I had watched two episodes and decided I should check the battery before starting a third. I did not want a repeat of last months death. I exited Netflix and checked the battery indicator. It showed slightly more than half full. I watch about 10 more minutes of Netflix when the phone went dead. I thought 'SOB, not again!' I put the phone on the charger and it looked like a repeat of the last time. The 'LG' screen came up and just sat there. The phone was pretty warm (not really hot) so I just took it off the charger and left it for the night. When I plugged it in in the morning, it displayed the 'LG' screen for about 60 seconds before displaying the dead battery charging screen. About 5 minutes later it booted to the main screen.

This makes me think that Netflix is disabling the power management system and the phone is not aware that the battery is getting critically low. The fact that this can happen when the phone is plugged in makes me think that even the charging system is disabled by the Netflix app.

Tobyus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, that's strange. I have ran my battery out multiple times while watching shows/movies on Netflix and never had problems getting it to charge/bootup afterwards. I've also kept my phone's battery from dying while watching a show on Netflix by plugging it in when it got low. I have however noticed that the battery indicator sometimes takes a few minutes to refresh after watching streaming videos or playing games for a long time. I'll check my battery level immediately after exiting a long game session and my battery still shows 3/4 full, then 5 minutes later I notice it is down to 1/4 after no new activity on the phone. Glad you got it back and that it is functioning again!

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I've also kept my phone's battery from dying while watching a show on Netflix by plugging it in when it got low.

Have you gotten a low battery warning while streaming from netflix? Has your battery ever run out while the phone was plugged in while streaming from netflix?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077