How is your 950Xl battery doing?

don4law

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I don't know the science behind lithium batteries, but I can tell you - and based on comments from others on this site - that my battery did require a "break in." There was no change in my usage, yet battery improvement went from dismal to pretty good, but it took about 4 days and numerous charge cycles to get there. This was my experience. Whether it comports with what's supposed to happen, I cannot say ...

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Mine has gotten much better after ~2 days. For the first two days it was eating through the battery at about 12% an hour even when I wasn't using it, but it kept my pocket really warm!

About the same time the battery usage came into line, and it stopped being really warm, I noticed that it appears like it finally synced all of my text message history from the cloud. (I suspect that Microsoft fixed something on the server side of the text message sync process.) I just wished they fixed the problem that has caused up to 10 duplicates for every text message. :unhappy: (Maybe it created a new one every time the process failed and started over, and that is why some only have 2 dupes, while others have 10.)

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
MIne seemed to run down fairly quickly the first day, but every day it is getting better. I easily got a full long day yesterday and put it back on the charger at 2:00am with about 40% left. TOday at almost 5pm (started at 6:30am), I am at 68%. It definitely does not last as long as my 640, but then my 640 did not have to drive such a large hi res display and run a quad core processor. So far I am happy. As others have said, give it a few days to break in.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
When I had a pop3 email not properly installed (Even though it initially said all was well.) I happened to look back in there and it had an error next to my new email. During this period of time trying to figure this out my battery got chewed up. I would look around and make sure something is not dishing out our errors causing the phone to constantly be at a task where it runs itself out. After I fixed the problem my battery has been fairly well behaved after the 2nd day of use. Today I was experimenting with Continuum and that ruined any battery testing since it charges itself up very quickly while you have it hooked up.

MG

Nathan-NL

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
MIne seemed to run down fairly quickly the first day, but every day it is getting better. I easily got a full long day yesterday and put it back on the charger at 2:00am with about 40% left. TOday at almost 5pm (started at 6:30am), I am at 68%. It definitely does not last as long as my 640, but then my 640 did not have to drive such a large hi res display and run a quad core processor. So far I am happy. As others have said, give it a few days to break in.
Actually the 640 has a quad-core, the 950 has a hexa-core and the 950 XL has an octa-core.

RyanAMG

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
My battery was absolutely horrible for the first two days. It literally drained from near 100 to almost empty within only about 5 hours. Nonetheless, I read about the "breaking in" period on this thread and decided to wait it out for a bit before returning it. The battery is much better - not as great as my Lumia 640 before this, but much better and acceptable.

I have read a lot of negative reviews about battery life, if MSFT had some brains, they'd advise customers of this and other issues to expect and they would likely avoid much of the negative onslaught against the new phones that I've seen.

my 640 on the insider program gets about 1.5 days same usage my 950XL gets half a day. I'm starting to think some are defective as some people are saying batter life is great.

HarleyBigDog

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Is there an app, like they have for iPhone, and I assume Android, that would allow one to rapidly drain, and then recharge the battery, to "condition" it? How far down should one wait to recharge in order to "condition" it without an app?

Akira X

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Off charger 7:30am (100%) and dead at 10pm (0%)..Light usage( no gaming, email checks, some edging.)

Hello and hey Cortana off.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Haven't fully charged my battery yet >_>. Charged to about 60% and used it to 20, then charged to 30% and have been using it since around 6pm. I'm at 9% 4 hours later. So far so good, I'd say. Better than my 925 battery life, so I'm happy.

Akira X

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Off charger 7:30am (100%) and dead at 10pm (0%)..Light usage( no gaming, email checks, some edging.)

Hello and hey Cortana off.

As stated, let my phone go to 0%, dead.
Plugged it back into the charger and after it had enough juice to turn itself on I immediately checked and it was already at 22% in the span of a few minutes.

Here's what's interesting, since day one 11/25, the phone runs quite warm during charging. Its at 40% and cool as a cucumber.
I'm starting to think something is off and not "inline" as mentioned in this thread. Letting it die allows the phone to learn what zero is or something like that. Will see what happens on the next run.

Update 1: The cool charge was due to using an old Samsung (1A output) charger, once I plugged it into the charger that came with the phone (surely a QC 2.0) the phone became warm near the bottom. Warm as a bagel. The battery app confirms that the Samsung charging rate was 30% and charger from the box is 61%.

Last edited:

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't initially happy with the battery life but after I disabled glance, it improved a lot...today I took the phone off charge at 9:00 am, now it's about 1:00 am and the battery is at 51%. Installed some apps, used Hello quite a bit, browsed for a while and sent some texts and emails.

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't initially happy with the battery life but after I disabled glance, it improved a lot...today I took the phone off charge at 9:00 am, now it's about 1:00 am and the battery is at 51%. Installed some apps, used Hello quite a bit, browsed for a while and sent some texts and emails.

Still not as good as it was on my 930 (of charger at 8:45 and should have left 70% max with minor usage). Will test today on my 950XL again without glance and disabled WiFi sense too. Made the change on my 930 too the first months I had it on W8.1.

Akira X

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

As stated, let my phone go to 0%, dead.
Plugged it back into the charger and after it had enough juice to turn itself on I immediately checked and it was already at 22% in the span of a few minutes.

Here's what's interesting, since day one 11/25, the phone runs quite warm during charging. Its at 40% and cool as a cucumber.
I'm starting to think something is off and not "inline" as mentioned in this thread. Letting it die allows the phone to learn what zero is or something like that. Will see what happens on the next run.

Update 1: The cool charge was due to using an old Samsung (1A output) charger, once I plugged it into the charger that came with the phone (surely a QC 2.0) the phone became warm near the bottom. Warm as a bagel. The battery app confirms that the Samsung charging rate was 30% and charger from the box is 61%.

Update 2: Since allowing the battery to go to 0%, battery life appears to have improved. Since taking it off the charger over 4 hours ago with very light use, battery is at 93%. I also turned Windows Hello back on after removing from charge.

Previously, the battery lost 10% per hour and the battery app showed any from 4-8% discharging rate (just sitting idle). Now its showing less than 2%.

Check out the slopes before and after.
wp_ss_20151201_0001.jpg

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok, as an engineer I thought I would come in on this thread and hopefully shed some light on the situation. Li batteries are gauged using a small IC, typically over I2C, that uses a small current sense resistor and also keeps track of temperature. As the battery discharges, the IC tracks this and matches it to a curve that it stores in memory on the IC. The curve that the IC comes with is likely preprogramed by the manufacturer to match the typical curve of the battery in question. Once in use the IC can change the curve based on the discharge and recharge that the phone goes through. The percentage of battery power left is only as accurate as this charge curve in this IC's EEPROM. The temperature is also used to tweak this, so if the phone is in the heat, the power left should be lower.

As such, the best way to get a more accurate reading on the battery is for the user to fully discharge the battery, or at least get close, to allow the IC to time the curve and get the most accurate measure. Once this has been done, and doing this S couple of times will increase the accuracy, you should see better battery life.

Keep in mind some of the myths about battery charging should be ignored. 1) The battery IC will indicate the battery is at 0%, when properly calibrated, at something closer to 40-60% (essentially when the cell is down to 2.5V). 2) You can't overcharge your battery. The IC charge circuitry will slow charging to a trickle at around 98-99% and then charge into the 100% charge area until the current no longer drops, then it will cut off charging completely until the percentage drops enough it the charging cable is unplugged and plugged back in. Z this is why I leave my phone on the charger overnight and have never suffered from premature battery aging. The battery also isn't charged to 100% of its capacity, as the circuitry tries to keep the phone in the golden zone to maximize battery life.

Hope this helps.

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

glance literally eats 0 % battery, They said it at keynote also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon