11-23-2017 11:58 PM
99 1234
tools
    i am exactaly facing same problem ....my phone's warranty is also expired last month and i dont want to pay for this.
    Yoy may not want to pay for this....but you don't have any other choice so...
    03-03-2017 04:08 PM
    I am experiencing the same thing and bought a new battery, but alas it still crashes.
    03-08-2017 02:19 AM
    Go to the brick and mortar MS store and raise hell. I did and the techs admitted the 950xl was fraught w problems and a total flop. Said had constant returns for this and other issues.

They gave me a full refund. I bought a 640xl for $79 on Amazon, and it works like a champ. So much better than 950xl, which was 8x more expensive!

Sent from mTalk
    03-08-2017 03:19 AM
    Go to the brick and mortar MS store and raise hell. I did and the techs admitted the 950xl was fraught w problems and a total flop. Said had constant returns for this and other issues.

They gave me a full refund. I bought a 640xl for $79 on Amazon, and it works like a champ. So much better than 950xl, which was 8x more expensive!

Sent from mTalk
    I've been thinking about doing this but am not sure of how to convince them to atleast look at it. They will tell me its out of warranty and that I should pay for it.
    03-08-2017 04:57 PM
    Just speak to the manager. They were very reasonable, bc of the terrible reputation of the 950xl, which was verified by their own techs in the store.

Sent from mTalk
    03-09-2017 07:48 AM
    Well just installed new battery which arrived today. Restart/crashes got up to at least 3 or 4 a day. I just hope this wales my problem. Will keep you updated, but if it doesn't I think I will have to have a big rethink on my 950xl.
    03-09-2017 05:57 PM
    I'm on the latest rs2 build for my 950XL and haven't experienced any random reboots. The only problem I have is Cortana only opens for a brief second them suits down. I'll do a hardware reset and see if it persists.

Sent from mTalk
    03-09-2017 06:49 PM
    Just speak to the manager. They were very reasonable, bc of the terrible reputation of the 950xl, which was verified by their own techs in the store.

Sent from mTalk
    Thanks Mike! I will talk to the manager and see how it goes...i'll keep you guys updated.
    03-09-2017 10:17 PM
    Well just installed new battery which arrived today. Restart/crashes got up to at least 3 or 4 a day. I just hope this wales my problem. Will keep you updated, but if it doesn't I think I will have to have a big rethink on my 950xl.
    Yeah, would be great if you could do that. I tried a battery change and it didn't work for me. It's come to a point where the phone restarts every 5 mins, and when I say 5, i mean 5. It's practically becomes useless, I would need to get a new phone if the brick and mortar store guys are not able to help me.
    03-09-2017 10:21 PM
    Originally posted by aimulaidni
    Originally Posted by smurph295
    Yeah, would be great if you could do that. I tried a battery change and it didn't work for me. It's come to a point where the phone restarts every 5 mins, and when I say 5, i mean 5. It's practically becomes useless, I would need to get a new phone if the brick and mortar store guys are not able to help me.
    Well after one day of excessive use and I mean excessive, video taking, what's app, phone calls interrupting video taking, I have still 40% left on my phone and not once any sign of crash/reboot. Really looks like the battery was my problem.
    03-10-2017 06:01 PM
    Well after one day of excessive use and I mean excessive, video taking, what's app, phone calls interrupting video taking, I have still 40% left on my phone and not once any sign of crash/reboot. Really looks like the battery was my problem.
    Oh cool. Good that it worked for you. I'm planning to go to Microsoft Store today. I'll post whatever they tell me once I get back.
    03-12-2017 06:26 AM
    Could you post the link to where you got your battery from?

Thanks!
    03-12-2017 07:48 PM
    I went to the store today and told them about the issue I was having. They initially said they didn't have any replacement parts and wanted me to send the phone to PALCO. But I told them I shouldn't have to pay for this as it wasn't my fault. The tech went back inside and came back with a new phone (without the battery), said that was the last piece. If it didn't work, then I would have to send it to PALCO. Much better now, the restarts are still happening, but it's not as bad as it was with the previous one. I'm trying to not update the phone (this one's on 10586 or something). The good part about this was my old phone's display was cracked, so getting a new phone was a plus...the bad part is the issue hasn't been entirely solved. I need to see if a new battery will do the trick.

On a side note, did anyone notice the keys on the Touch Cover for the new Surface Pro have some sort of a push back mechanism that kinda feels awkward when typing?
    03-12-2017 07:57 PM
    Originally posted by aimulaidni
    Could you post the link to where you got your battery from?

Thanks!
    Hi. I got mine through Amazon UK at a price of £27.95. They were supplied by a company called fonejoy. Sold as a genuine Microsoft battery.
    03-13-2017 05:14 AM
    Hi. I got mine through Amazon UK at a price of £27.95. They were supplied by a company called fonejoy. Sold as a genuine Microsoft battery.
    Cool, thanks! Looks like they don't come cheap anywhere.
    03-13-2017 10:42 AM
    Must admit, this is starting to annoy me too.

Mine doesn't restart. I just get a green flash across the screen and it shuts down! Need to do a soft reset button hold to get it to restart.

No MS shops in the UK so can't take it in. The CS team passed me onto another company that deals with warranty and they aren't interested without sending it away. Not prepared to be without a phone. Do i stump up for a new battery or do a hard reset [on slow ring]???
    03-14-2017 11:59 AM
    Must admit, this is starting to annoy me too.

Mine doesn't restart. I just get a green flash across the screen and it shuts down! Need to do a soft reset button hold to get it to restart.

No MS shops in the UK so can't take it in. The CS team passed me onto another company that deals with warranty and they aren't interested without sending it away. Not prepared to be without a phone. Do i stump up for a new battery or do a hard reset [on slow ring]???
    Yeah, I was having that issue as well combined with the random restart...hard reset didnt work...seems like a new battery is doing the trick, atleast for most of them...i had tried with another battery (not new) and it didn't work for me...so I ordered a new one from eBay...have to see if it works...if not rounded and fonejoy are the only options left.
    03-14-2017 05:38 PM
    I went to the store today and told them about the issue I was having. They initially said they didn't have any replacement parts and wanted me to send the phone to PALCO. But I told them I shouldn't have to pay for this as it wasn't my fault. The tech went back inside and came back with a new phone (without the battery), said that was the last piece. If it didn't work, then I would have to send it to PALCO. Much better now, the restarts are still happening, but it's not as bad as it was with the previous one. I'm trying to not update the phone (this one's on 10586 or something). The good part about this was my old phone's display was cracked, so getting a new phone was a plus...the bad part is the issue hasn't been entirely solved. I need to see if a new battery will do the trick.

On a side note, did anyone notice the keys on the Touch Cover for the new Surface Pro have some sort of a push back mechanism that kinda feels awkward when typing?
    Glad it worked out, kind of. Sell the new one on eBay and get 640xl. A far superior phone for so much less money. It works perfectly with none of the 950xl issues

Sent from mTalk
    03-15-2017 04:25 AM
    Glad it worked out, kind of. Sell the new one on eBay and get 640xl. A far superior phone for so much less money. It works perfectly with none of the 950xl issues

Sent from mTalk
    I was thinking the same...but i'm not sure if anyone would actually buy this for a good price...knowing the reputation it has for all it's issues. And the camera's also an issue, need a good one.
    03-15-2017 11:33 AM
    Hey Guys,

Just wanted to give my "fix" so far for my random restarts.

I noticed that I experienced much like what others were getting on their phone. Freezing, Green screens, etc. The trend I noticed was that I was usually getting a random restart when a notification comes in. Specifically, I noticed that my phone would reboot at certain times when I would get a Skype Preview notification, a Facebook Notification, Messenger Notifications, or other apps that are using the more modern app framework (namely, apps created with bridges or UWP).

This got me thinking, what happens if I turned off notifications?

Doing so basically worked for me, I hadn't experienced reboots, but that being said I had to rely on live tiles for my notifications. This wasn't going to cut it. So then I thought what else could be wrong with the notification.

.... The Chime.

I noticed that when I would get a notification and the phone freezes and reboots, the chime would play and be stuck on a loop after being frozen. So what I did was change the default notification sounds on the apps that I use to ones that weren't default.

So far, I haven't experienced any random reboots since I have done this. My hunch is that there was a point in time when MS changed the notification sounds on the newer builds to different sounds. It could potentially be that these new sounds don't get properly flashed into the NAND somehow and causes your phone to intermittently reboot.

I could be completely wrong, but this is my experience. I am on my 2nd 950 XL and 2nd Battery and still experienced issues with rebooting and freezing, but changing out the notification sounds worked to give me a more stable experience.

Hopefully this helps some others out there too! Let me know if it does!
    03-17-2017 03:29 PM
    Hey Guys,

Just wanted to give my "fix" so far for my random restarts.

I noticed that I experienced much like what others were getting on their phone. Freezing, Green screens, etc. The trend I noticed was that I was usually getting a random restart when a notification comes in. Specifically, I noticed that my phone would reboot at certain times when I would get a Skype Preview notification, a Facebook Notification, Messenger Notifications, or other apps that are using the more modern app framework (namely, apps created with bridges or UWP).

This got me thinking, what happens if I turned off notifications?

Doing so basically worked for me, I hadn't experienced reboots, but that being said I had to rely on live tiles for my notifications. This wasn't going to cut it. So then I thought what else could be wrong with the notification.

.... The Chime.

I noticed that when I would get a notification and the phone freezes and reboots, the chime would play and be stuck on a loop after being frozen. So what I did was change the default notification sounds on the apps that I use to ones that weren't default.

So far, I haven't experienced any random reboots since I have done this. My hunch is that there was a point in time when MS changed the notification sounds on the newer builds to different sounds. It could potentially be that these new sounds don't get properly flashed into the NAND somehow and causes your phone to intermittently reboot.

I could be completely wrong, but this is my experience. I am on my 2nd 950 XL and 2nd Battery and still experienced issues with rebooting and freezing, but changing out the notification sounds worked to give me a more stable experience.

Hopefully this helps some others out there too! Let me know if it does!
    I did have the issue of the chime being stuck on a loop as well. And I did change the sound to a different one that was not the default. I've also not had this issue for a while now. But I didn't think the solution was the change of sound until you mentioned about it. I had just changed it because I wanted something different but you are right, that seems to have fixed the issue.

The other issue is, my phone doesn't just reboot when I get a notification. It reboots whenever it wants to. In the middle of me doing something. And I can't use my camera anymore as it reboots every time I click a picture. Also, you mentioned you were on a second battery and that it didn't work. Was it a new battery that you tried? And was it the genuine one?...I only ask because I also tried with another battery and it didn't fix it but it wasn't a new one. I also ordered a new one off eBay and that didn't work at all, as in the phone wouldn't even start and flashed the wrong battery sign.
    03-17-2017 10:10 PM
    Hi aimulaidni,

Did your issue got resolved? What was the issue with your phone and what you did to resolve it? I'm facing exactly the same issue. Faster response would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    03-18-2017 01:43 PM
    Hi aimulaidni,

Did your issue got resolved? What was the issue with your phone and what you did to resolve it? I'm facing exactly the same issue. Faster response would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    No sir, still facing these issue...i had to initiate a return for the battery I bought from eBay and have yet to buy one from amazon. I'll keep you updated though.
    03-18-2017 08:40 PM
    I could see my battery bulged. I'm trying to understand, if this the reason for reboots. 6 months before i had a similar issue but not this much worse, when I gave my phone in service centre, they had replaced my board.
    If this time it going to the same issue, my warranty is over and I cannot bear that expense
    03-18-2017 10:00 PM
    I could see my battery bulged. I'm trying to understand, if this the reason for reboots. 6 months before i had a similar issue but not this much worse, when I gave my phone in service centre, they had replaced my board.
    If this time it going to the same issue, my warranty is over and I cannot bear that expense 😐
    03-18-2017 10:00 PM
99 1234