Does Lumia 950 XL have support in 2018?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Exactly! Most of people do not realize that! As well, as annoying ads in Android in most unexpected places, along with freezes and stuttering even on flagships.

I'm here to say that's overblown.

1. Updates

I agree that Android's update situation is not ideal. It's certainly inconsistent but once we get up to the midrange and high-end, the prospects improve immensely.

However, that doesn't mean low-end phones are neglected, but it's a matter of choosing carefully. BLU phones? Nope. But this cheapo mid-2016 Galaxy is still getting security updates.

Once we get higher up, we can expect at the least semi-regular security updates and a couple of major OS upgrades. Typical support windows are two years. Of course there are exceptions like the BlackBerry DTEK phones and OnePlus Two but it's not so cleanly cut. The DTEKs are still getting security updates monthly (with a couple stumbles) and the OnePlus Two has a healthy custom ROM environment around it.

The face of Android these days, Samsung, upgrades it's flagships with two major OS upgrades over the course of two years or so (even if it's customizations mean it's not the fastest) not counting security updates. (the Galaxy S4 on T-Mobile got the January 2017 patch which is a weird outlier frankly.)

And of course, Google is leading the pack with Pixel.

And we can compare to Windows 10 Mobile which as it is right now, is getting nothing but security updates and the occasional bugfix. (with many devices abandoned like on Android) That's a pretty low bar, even though Microsoft's infrastructure/update system allowing it to update most phones with Windows 10 Mobile (not counting the arbitrary device support drops) easily is a huge bonus.

2. Ads

I've used Android for a year on three phones (and here and there before that) and ads have not been showing up in unexpected places. Typically such ads come from adware-esque apps that have no business being installed anyway. But wait, there are ads showing up in some services too like Facebook, but those ads are more of a symptom/slight bonus to being neglected on Windows Phone. iOS sees the same too.

Now a couple manufacturers have indeed pushed ad notifications for their new phone such as HTC (U11) and OnePlus (5), but that's up to the customer to decide if it's acceptable. The one-off might even be preferable to the constant Messaging+ alert at every boot.

As for lag, freezing and stuttering, I'm currently using a phone with the midrange Snapdragon 625 inside and I have not found any of those except for when the odd app locks up but I see it on all platforms except maybe Palm OS 4. Sure, Samsung is known to add on a lot of extra stuff that can bog down their top-notch hardware, but it's not bad. The gold standard in smoothness I hear is the Google Pixel though. So performance quirks is not Androids inherent fault. However I would also want to draw attention to Windows 10 Mobile's quirks if we start talking about the small details.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
I agree that Android's update situation is not ideal.
Who said it's ideal? Our point was exactly about "it's not ideal".

I've used Android for a year on three phones (and here and there before that) and ads have not been showing up in unexpected places. Typically such ads come from adware-esque apps that have no business being installed anyway.
Android stock weather app and stock keyboard are adware? Because I've seen ads on my friend's Galaxy S7 in those apps by myself. But, I must say, I agree with You... even those stock apps are adware... it's Android...

As for lag, freezing and stuttering, I'm currently using a phone with the midrange Snapdragon 625 inside and I have not found any of those
I hear that literally about every Android flagship, when it's released. When I showed lags on HTC One M8 to my friend literally after she bought it, she said "I see nothing". So, seems like that freezes are just OK for Android users. Maybe, because they didn't see devices without freezes and with normal touch reaction. On the other hand, even if they are Android addicted, they should see at least iPhones, which have no such problems...

I've used Android for a year on three phones (and here and there before that) and ads have not been showing up in unexpected places.
I have news for You: yesterday my friend wanted to show me a photo on his Galaxy S7 in the gym... but he couldn't, because after unblocking we were watching 15 seconds video add, which he was unable to close.

I hate to say that... but it was literally LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have news for You: yesterday my friend wanted to show me a photo on his Galaxy S7 in the gym... but he couldn't, because after unblocking we were watching 15 seconds video add, which he was unable to close.

I hate to say that... but it was literally LOL!
Unless he's on YouTube he's using the wrong photos app or lockscreen.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
2018 is the end of life for my Lumia 950 XL. With no Surface Phone Pro coming but only a Windows 10 ARM "RT reboot" in 2018. Nothing left Win10M to upgrade to, leaving me no choice but to move to other platforms (iOS11 or Android 8). I'll use my Lumia 950 XL as a second backup Phone or music player sice there's 64GB of music on it.

I won't move to any old Android devices'.....like some other people have with there bad experiences...hoping that doesn't happen to me??

The plan is probably to move from my MSFT Lumia 950 XL "Win10M Creators 2" OS to the upcoming official Android flag ship Google Pixel 2 XL "Android 8.1" in late January or early February 2018.

This is very scary for me moving from platform to platform witch I have never done. I been on Windows Mobile OS platforms for 11 years now since WM5.0 days ....my first Windows Phone "Motorola MOTO Q9c". Trying to keep all my Microsoft services intact hopefully??

Like people say Android is very messy So I hope by using a launcher to more organize it? Microsoft Arrow seems to get good reviews! And help keep my Microsoft world intact.

http://www.arrowlauncher.com/

Lumia 950 XL vs Pixel 2 XL

- Snapdragon 810 v2.1 vs Snapdragon 836
- 3GB RAM vs 6GB RAM
- 32GB UFS v2.1 vs 128GB UFS v2.1
- MicroSDXC UHS I vs no MicroSDXC
- 5.7" QHD OLED vs 6" QHD OLED
- Gorilla glass 4 vs Gorilla glass 5
- 20MP 5th gen PureView vs 16MP ?
- 3340 mAh battery vs 3450 mAh battery

Little bit of a hardware upgrade ? Should be reasonable. If all true...

Sent from Lumia 950XL

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately no.......TD bank gone, Gasbuddy, Starwars Commander, PayPal, the list goes on and on...unfortunately....it's getting very frustrating.....

Sent from Lumia 950XL

The PayPal mobile site works just as well as the app did...with our large 950 XL screen, mobile sites work almost as well as the apps. Actually, sometimes they work better. I've got a Galaxy S5 that I keep updated to 'see what i'm missing'; it's actually quite difficult to keep it up to date. Its' 16 GB memory is filled up with 1/3 of the apps I have on my 950 XL. For some reason, it seems like Android apps use up way more memory. Android OS is a mess when trying to move apps to the SD card; you have to go one by one, and try and move them individually, and even then, half the apps block this. Even on my S5, my local bank does not support Android pay for my debit card; yes - my VISA cards work, but I use my debit way more, so i'm not really missing this feature on my Windows phone.
On my Android phone, I actually pin my local transit company's mobile site to the start screen, rather than using the add-drenched apps. Same with my local bank. The Android app is way weaker than the mobile site I pin to my 950 XL start screen. In my view, the grass is not greener on the Android side (even though all the adds and media says it is)....

randomforum

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
I recently bought a lumia 950xl (1 week old) i really want to stay with windows mobile, but the lumia i think have problems or its 15063.483 update fault. I returned it, so i dont want to risk to keep a faulty phone.

I had temperatures issues, the battery lasted me 5 hours of use, or 6 hours of casual use. I cold not install or transfer apps over my sd card, when turn off the phone and then turn on again i lose 10% each time. I was really enjoying the phone and continuum, but i cant deal with these kind of issues.

I did restore with Windows Device Recovery Tool, instaled all updates, hard reset, still the same. I really wish that we get new devices using the Qualcomm SnapDragon 625 soon, but i think never, still using the lumia 435 and 550

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon