01-11-2016 05:11 AM
166 ... 567
tools
    All I'm saying is, as new as the Universal Windows Apps for Windows 10 is, it can not be said to either be succeeding OR failing at this point. Android took a bit of time before it took off and got the apps. iOS didn't have the apps in the first 6 months either. Windows 10 is an entirely new player on the market, and the store thus far is much more successful than the Windows 8 store was during the last several years, and it's only 6 months old, and Mobile really hasn't gotten off the ground yet in any meaningful manner. Let's get official roll-outs to existing phones and more new phones from different manufacturers released and we'll see where that goes.
    You may be correct. Who knows?

Bookmark this line: at the end of 2016 (one year from now), we're going to have Microsoft apologists saying, "Soon! Soon, it will take off! Soon, devices running Windows, specifically mobile, will be all over the place! Developers will be all over Windows! Coming soon™!"

And you know what? One of these days it will probably be correct! We've been shouting this for the last five years, and we will continue to do so. When you shoot at a target blindfolded, chances are you will eventually hit it, given enough time and ammo.
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    12-28-2015 09:44 AM
    You may be correct. Who knows?

Bookmark this line: at the end of 2016 (one year from now), we're going to have Microsoft apologists saying, "Soon! Soon, it will take off! Soon, devices running Windows, specifically mobile, will be all over the place! Developers will be all over Windows! Coming soon™!"

And you know what? One of these days it will probably be correct! We've been shouting this for the last five years, and we will continue to do so. When you shoot at a target blindfolded, chances are you will eventually hit it, given enough time and ammo.
    You've seen me post it several times, I know. I believe it will take several years before Universal Windows Apps get to where they need to be. I do believe they will get there, but people claiming failure after 5 months PC release and before a mobile release (when this thread was started on December 2) is just incorrect, and possibly just wishful thinking by Apple and Google. ;)

I like your target analogy. I'm going to add to it just a bit. The thing is, Microsoft has an abundance of "time and ammo" and can continue shooting at this target for the next 10 years without running out of either. Since they are determined, the more they shoot, the more they learn HOW to shoot and how to properly aim their weapon. Yeah, there's been a few times that they decided they were using the wrong gun and changed their weapon of choice, PPC 2000-2003, WM5, WP7, WP8(.1), and now W10M, but it looks like they've gotten entrenched rather well with all their weight behind the Windows 10. Imagine if you will, going from a pea shooter, to a derringer, to a BB gun, to a shot gun, to a nice long range rifle. Well, they've settled on the long range rifle for the mobile, but at the same time they are shooting a bazooka (tablet) and firing ballistic missiles (PC) along with throwing hand grenades (Xbox) and getting some new ammo ready, like an Uzi (HoloLens), and more (SurfaceHub, IoT, etc.) and they are shooting EVERYTHING at ONCE at the target. With some of the firepower at hand, they only need to get close to the target, not hit it, in order to obliterate it.

Does that mean they are going about it right? Hey, I don't know. But I know it's going to be hard for Microsoft to fall over, and I'd hate to be the one being the target. While the target is standing there laughing, it is in very real danger as the blindfolded tank driver begins to errantly drive right over it, because the target wasn't moving fast enough to get out of the way. ;)
    tgp, HeyCori, Laura Knotek and 2 others like this.
    12-28-2015 10:05 AM
    Imagine if you will, going from a pea shooter, to a derringer, to a BB gun, to a shot gun, to a nice long range rifle. Well, they've settled on the long range rifle for the mobile, but at the same time they are shooting a bazooka (tablet) and firing ballistic missiles (PC) along with throwing hand grenades (Xbox) and getting some new ammo ready, like an Uzi (HoloLens), and more (SurfaceHub, IoT, etc.) and they are shooting EVERYTHING at ONCE at the target. With some of the firepower at hand, they only need to get close to the target, not hit it, in order to obliterate it.
    Hey don't overanalyze my analagy! But to add to yours, so far Microsoft's weapons have been more like Iraq's Scud missiles in the first Gulf War. Remember those? They tended to miss the target by about 3 countries.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-31-2015 11:36 PM
    Lol even going into 2016, people still flame and troll with windows. Considering the OS is it infancy, I am not sure how it failed.
    01-01-2016 12:02 AM
    Pretty sure we universal apps haven't failed. It's only been 1 month since mobile has officially released.
    HeyCori and MikeSo like this.
    01-01-2016 12:40 AM
    Hey don't overanalyze my analagy! But to add to yours, so far Microsoft's weapons have been more like Iraq's Scud missiles in the first Gulf War. Remember those? They tended to miss the target by about 3 countries.
    LOL, yeah, they also had a very short range. Seems a lot of MS services have been too concentrated on US only or not far from that.

But for now, MS isn't even fighting. They are retrenching and arming themselves. Let's just hope they don't blow up the planet when they come back out. Or, metaphorically, perhaps that would be a good thing?

Happy New Year!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-01-2016 08:35 AM
    "Ready - Fire - Aim" is an effective management strategy if you have a general target and a robust iterative feedback process.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    01-01-2016 12:12 PM
    "Ready - Fire - Aim" is an effective management strategy if you have a general target and a robust iterative feedback process.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Microsoft currently had the best feedback process in the biz.
    01-03-2016 07:38 AM
    The fact Ballmer doesn't think it will be successful brings me hope
    +1M. Steve's opinion holds no merit. He would still be CEO if he had the correct vision and leadership. His opinion is right up there with The Verge which both are totally useless.
    01-04-2016 11:29 PM
    No, I didn't miss your point, tgp, really. I just didn't understand why you think 1 billion users wouldn't make much of a difference. I don't think you understand the details of programming for the Universal Windows Platform. I was a developer for many years before I retired. If I was still in the business, I'd be jumping all over this as fast as I could. I've been tempted to come out of retirement just to get in early and establish a unique app at the top of the new system, but my family is more important than money at this point, and we have enough.

That's all I've got for you, tgp.

For everyone else that thinks the Universal Windows Platform has already failed, read on. I've got some more rant. ;)

How significant is 1 billion users? How significant is it for Android? How significant is it for Apple? While Apple has sold over a billion devices, that is since the very first iPhone, and it doesn't have near a billion users active. Android has a billion active users, maybe. It's up for debate. I've heard people say Android has reached a billion active users, and they may have. I just haven't read the official report showing the actual numbers. A report in December 2013 showed at that time there were 300 million active users of iPhone and 800 million active users of Android.

1 billion is 1/7th of the world's population. Yes, it is divided up between desktop, tablet, mobile, Xbox, and IoT, but they only have to write for the Universal Windows Platform, and they can target the entire 1 billion potential. Now, for the first time, an Android developer outfit can ADD an extra billion possible users by adding one additional platform to develop for. As a developer, it would make me salivate.

The thing is that Android's store has enough of a user base to make developers sit up and take notice. The Windows Store, as One store, will do the same. Some developers are already starting to take notice, and we are getting the universal apps coming in. I believe the rate will pick up as the Windows 10 adoption numbers rise.

Right now, for Android or iPhone, or even Windows Phone, the only way to increase their numbers is to get more people in the world to adopt using a phone. This is difficult to do in developing countries where the cost of the service is more of an issue than even the cost of the device, though the cost of the device plays a major role as well.

However, Microsoft has found a way to increase those numbers without increasing their phone market share. A brilliant move, I believe.

All I'm saying is, as new as the Universal Windows Apps for Windows 10 is, it can not be said to either be succeeding OR failing at this point. Android took a bit of time before it took off and got the apps. iOS didn't have the apps in the first 6 months either. Windows 10 is an entirely new player on the market, and the store thus far is much more successful than the Windows 8 store was during the last several years, and it's only 6 months old, and Mobile really hasn't gotten off the ground yet in any meaningful manner. Let's get official roll-outs to existing phones and more new phones from different manufacturers released and we'll see where that goes.
    Well said and totally agree.
    01-04-2016 11:43 PM
    The univeral app model is excellent from a technical point of view. The problem is elite iOS developers just aren't interested in building apps for a platform where users do not PAY for apps.
    01-08-2016 12:39 AM
    A BlackBerry lurker here. Well, BB10 runs Android apps, but not all of them, and without anything resembling integration. I have to use an old Starbucks app because the most recent one doesn't work without Google Play Services. If MS decided to install a runtime, it would have the same problem. The runtime hasn't helped BlackBerry increase market share, and it won't help Windows Phone.

Universal apps are the best option for MS to grow adoption rate. No, Starbucks won't develop a WP10 app unless WP10 gains at least 10% market share on mobile devices. A glowing apple is still the most popular accessory for a Starbucks cup. But a wider acceptance of universal apps, combined with developer support for the idea, will eventually make the app ecosystems platform-independent, and that will be a good thing for everyone.
    Laura Knotek and Migi2015 like this.
    01-08-2016 10:22 AM
    A BlackBerry lurker here. Well, BB10 runs Android apps, but not all of them, and without anything resembling integration. I have to use an old Starbucks app because the most recent one doesn't work without Google Play Services. If MS decided to install a runtime, it would have the same problem. The runtime hasn't helped BlackBerry increase market share, and it won't help Windows Phone.

Universal apps are the best option for MS to grow adoption rate. No, Starbucks won't develop a WP10 app unless WP10 gains at least 10% market share on mobile devices. A glowing apple is still the most popular accessory for a Starbucks cup. But a wider acceptance of universal apps, combined with developer support for the idea, will eventually make the app ecosystems platform-independent, and that will be a good thing for everyone.
    I fail to see how you dislodge the glowing fruit.
    01-08-2016 04:29 PM
    They scared the sh*t out of the of US though as they were accurate enough to almost get Israel into the war and busting the coalition, I think if I remember rightly the US had to go into plan b and c mode because of them.

This was in reply to the Scud missile reference a few posts back.
    01-09-2016 10:19 AM
    Do you think Microsoft has a real chance to compete with iOS and Android, speaking of the number and quality of the applications in the store?
    01-11-2016 02:21 AM
    Do you think Microsoft has a real chance to compete with iOS and Android, speaking of the number and quality of the applications in the store?
    Lol. They are not competing with anyone. If they have any grudge against any OS, they will not release their own apps on iOS and Android. It is the fans who compete with each other.
    01-11-2016 05:11 AM
166 ... 567