Hey Microsoft!!! Fix your Surface Book before it dies!

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I returned mine for BSOD problems when detaching screen. However, I loved the hardware and am getting another one when they are back in stock. Majority of problems are software related. There is very minimal if any hardware problems.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
We'll surely this product has issues but show me a product with 0% issues.

The Surface Pro 4 & Surface Book have had issues that were just unacceptable. I have to perform a hard shutdown on my SP4 multiple times a day. Screen goes out, the screen won't wake from Sleep, the touch screen stopping, the video drivers crash and recovery all day long, battery life jumps all over the place --- these kind of issues aren't something once should be forced to deal with. If it were minor things like a single occasional video driver crashes every few days, I could deal with it, but it's ALL DAY EVERY DAY. I've tried resets (soft & hard).

Microsoft & Intel really need to figure out what's going on with Edge and the Intel display drivers.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
The Surface Pro 4 & Surface Book have had issues that were just unacceptable. I have to perform a hard shutdown on my SP4 multiple times a day. Screen goes out, the screen won't wake from Sleep, the touch screen stopping, the video drivers crash and recovery all day long, battery life jumps all over the place --- these kind of issues aren't something once should be forced to deal with. If it were minor things like a single occasional video driver crashes every few days, I could deal with it, but it's ALL DAY EVERY DAY. I've tried resets (soft & hard).

Microsoft & Intel really need to figure out what's going on with Edge and the Intel display drivers.

No one is forcing you to have those issues, if you are having that many issues and haven't returned it by now, that's your fault. I've had three Surface Books, and all of them have had one or two problems, but not every problem you've described.

So return your device, or wait for a fix. Complaining about it on a forum isn't going to fix it.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
No one is forcing you to have those issues, if you are having that many issues and haven't returned it by now, that's your fault. I've had three Surface Books, and all of them have had one or two problems, but not every problem you've described.

So return your device, or wait for a fix. Complaining about it on a forum isn't going to fix it.

Seriously? What was the purpose of your reply? I didn't even quote you --- the person I quoted makes the reported issues out to be something minor that could be waited out until patches came about --- but it's not. That was the purpose of my response to him, to give a better picture of how critical these bugs actually are. I'm not the only one reporting those exact same issues --- it's being reported on multiple forums.

I've already submitted my request to MSFT to return the Surface Pro 4 (not a Surface Book in my case) --- but that is not a solution as it is a product I want to own and use. I'm posting in here because these issues are related to faulty drivers (and possibly EDGE) found in both devices.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Seriously? What was the purpose of your reply? I didn't even quote you --- the person I quoted makes the reported issues out to be something minor that could be waited out until patches came about --- but it's not. That was the purpose of my response to him, to give a better picture of how critical these bugs actually are. I'm not the only one reporting those exact same issues --- it's being reported on multiple forums.

I've already submitted my request to MSFT to return the Surface Pro 4 (not a Surface Book in my case) --- but that is not a solution as it is a product I want to own and use. I'm posting in here because these issues are related to faulty drivers (and possibly EDGE) found in both devices.

Return your device until the issues are fixed. Every Surface has had pretty major issues the first month of release. That is a proven track record, the Surface Book is no exception. Enjoy it when the issues are fixed.

Working at a major retailer that sells Surface Book units, they are not being returned often. the vast majority of returns are exchanges to the model with the dGPU.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Well I'm sure MS has a standard Quality Control guidelines. QC or QA in inspecting a the number of Surface Books based on a sample size of the number made probably based on a batch size. I used to work in QC/QA in Pharmaceuticals and we inspected based on product lot sizes. I mean it's a standard in mnaufacturing and if one bad product gets by you need to take it back. Thats does 2 things alerts MS and you can get a new machine that works.

AbsoluteZerow

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
People are still having issues even after two rounds of updates and a major update on the 12th. I'd say return your products and get your money back before its too late, and just wait. Eventually they will fix all these issues... hopefully. I returned mine after giving them two full weeks, I needed something that worked because I use it for work. I'll consider a Surface Book 2, next year. I saw that enixon has had three Surface Book's with the same issues. That is a clear sign that the majority of Book's are indeed having the same issues... which is obviously a clear sign of bad quality control and of course a bad driver. I feel bad for you folks willing to be a beta tester for a $2,000 product.... good luck.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
People are still having issues even after two rounds of updates and a major update on the 12th. I'd say return your products and get your money back before its too late, and just wait. Eventually they will fix all these issues... hopefully. I returned mine after giving them two full weeks, I needed something that worked because I use it for work. I'll consider a Surface Book 2, next year. I saw that enixon has had three Surface Book's with the same issues. That is a clear sign that the majority of Book's are indeed having the same issues... which is obviously a clear sign of bad quality control and of course a bad driver. I feel bad for you folks willing to be a beta tester for a $2,000 product.... good luck.

It's actually NOT a CLEAR sign that the MAJORITY of Surface Books have issues... What it is though, is a CLEAR sign that there are SOME bad batches that have been shipped from production. Again, working for a major retailer that sells the Surface Book, the majority of Surface Books are not being returned. The new batch was just received yesterday, so I'm sure those Surface Books will be much better because they were not rushed.

The November 12th update didn't have anything to do with the Surface Book's issues. I am sure in the next week we will see an update or two surrounding the issues some people have been having with their units.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I'm wanting to get the SP4, won't even consider the Book now. But My Surface 3 has the touch screen stopping issue also. Actually, all the issues you mentioned.

Spongers8X

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

It is not clear at all that a majority of Books have issues. Mine hasn't had a single issue since the first firmware update and November Windows 10 update. Please don't lump everyone into your problems, when it is just not true. Also, MS said they will be releasing yet another firmware update for the Book and Pro 4. 2 complete firmware updates in 4 weeks is damn good. It's a good thing you returned it if you can't wait that long for updates on a first gen product. I feel bad for you for even trying the book in the first place. Obviously a first gen product isn't for you.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
It is not clear at all that a majority of Books have issues. Mine hasn't had a single issue since the first firmware update and November Windows 10 update. Please don't lump everyone into your problems, when it is just not true. Also, MS said they will be releasing yet another firmware update for the Book and Pro 4. 2 complete firmware updates in 4 weeks is damn good. It's a good thing you returned it if you can't wait that long for updates on a first gen product. I feel bad for you for even trying the book in the first place. Obviously a first gen product isn't for you.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Here's the thing, being a "first gen" product has nothing to do with these issues because the Surface Pro 4 (yes, a fourth gen product) is experiencing the same bugs (aside from the screen detach bugs --- as it doesn't apply to the Surface Pro 4). Point is, Surface Book & Surface Pro 4 owners without issues appear to be the minority. The majority of owners appear to be having issues --- hence the fact that people are having to make exchanges 3 or 4 times to get 1 supposedly "bug free" device. And it's not that we can't wait or that we don't believe the issues will ever be resolved. It's just that we all spent $1200, $1600, $1800, $2000+ on these devices --- fact is, we have 30 days to return these for a full refund and we don't want to get stuck with a device that could be defective or prone to buggy drivers for who knows how many more months to come. I'd rather not have my warranty clock ticking down on a device that I can barely use at the moment.

I'm not anxious to return mine, I still use it, but as soon as the shipping label e-mail arrives, it's going back...as I highly doubt the next firmware release is going to magically fix all of my issues.

Lprox5

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I have a question slightly unrelated to this argument going on. I'm on my first replacement Surface Book and everything seems to be working fine now with the updates. I initially had one BSOD and a display driver error. However, I've noticed that my battery life is pretty poor. I only get around 5-6 hours off a full charge; no where even close to the "up to 12 hours" that was stated. I run in battery saver mode with screen brightness turned to 50%, adaptive brightness turned off, disabled start-up applications, and don't use Chrome. I barely use my SB to surf the web, check emails, and use OneNote. I also noticed that if my SB is completely turned off for 12+ hours, I lose 4%+ battery life.

My question is: should I wait for firmware updates to fix this? will firmware updates even fix this? Or should I return for a replacement or even a refund and wait for the Surface Book 2? It's pretty disappointing because I want to like this device, but what I'm getting out of it for the price is not really worth it. My 2011 MacBook Pro has better battery life than this machine.

(While I was typing this post out, I just got another display driver issue......spoke too soon.)

Spongers8X

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here's the thing, being a "first gen" product has nothing to do with these issues because the Surface Pro 4 (yes, a fourth gen product) is experiencing the same bugs (aside from the screen detach bugs --- as it doesn't apply to the Surface Pro 4). Point is, Surface Book & Surface Pro 4 owners without issues appear to be the minority. The majority of owners appear to be having issues --- hence the fact that people are having to make exchanges 3 or 4 times to get 1 supposedly "bug free" device. And it's not that we can't wait or that we don't believe the issues will ever be resolved. It's just that we all spent $1200, $1600, $1800, $2000+ on these devices --- fact is, we have 30 days to return these for a full refund and we don't want to get stuck with a device that could be defective or prone to buggy drivers for who knows how many more months to come. I'd rather not have my warranty clock ticking down on a device that I can barely use at the moment.

I'm not anxious to return mine, I still use it, but as soon as the shipping label e-mail arrives, it's going back...as I highly doubt the next firmware release is going to magically fix all of my issues.

What concrete proof do you have that a MAJORITY of owners are having problems? Are you privy to details from Microsoft the rest of us are not (let alone the mainstream media which would have this all over the tech blogs if the failure rate was a MAJORITY of owners as you claim)? Please do not spout ideas without facts to back them up, it spreads false information and false defamation. There are problems with this device, yes, that is a known fact. We have NO IDEA how widespread it is. I am on my FIRST device, with ZERO problems that others are having (and to be clear I had a few of the problems BEFORE the first firmware update). Those are facts.

AbsoluteZerow

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
What concrete proof do you have that a MAJORITY of owners are having problems? Are you privy to details from Microsoft the rest of us are not (let alone the mainstream media which would have this all over the tech blogs if the failure rate was a MAJORITY of owners as you claim)? Please do not spout ideas without facts to back them up, it spreads false information and false defamation. There are problems with this device, yes, that is a known fact. We have NO IDEA how widespread it is. I am on my FIRST device, with ZERO problems that others are having (and to be clear I had a few of the problems BEFORE the first firmware update). Those are facts.

Well, you're lucky. Because many folks in this thread are still having issues on replacments and after updates. No idea how wide spread it is? Go check the rest of this forum, surface forums, and Reddit surface. A LOT of people are still having problems. You must have golden surface book.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon