Watch UFC 245 Exclusively on ESPN+

Catch Every Moment of UFC 245 Experience UFC PPV events like never before with ESPN+ and save over 25%!

Expand Minimize
07-27-2017 03:28 PM
49 12
tools
    Sadly, this is the most rational response you can have to such a widespread problem. I really, really hope Microsoft figures this issue out. I'm going to order one more SP 2017 at the end of the month. If it still has this backlight bleed issue, I'm returning it again and keeping my iPad Pro (since it's the only other device with a comparable writing experience, which I really need).
    07-04-2017 01:06 PM
    Sadly, this is the most rational response you can have to such a widespread problem. I really, really hope Microsoft figures this issue out. I'm going to order one more SP 2017 at the end of the month. If it still has this backlight bleed issue, I'm returning it again and keeping my iPad Pro (since it's the only other device with a comparable writing experience, which I really need).
    I think this is getting a bit blown out of proportion. Reddit, forums, etc. are going to attract the people to post that have a problem. You aren't hearing from the many who don't have a problem. So this conclusion that its a widespread problem is a little alarmist at this point.

I've seen some pictures posted that look to be a real problem and Microsoft seems happy to replace them. This is no different that you'd see if you go to an Apple forum and pick any product... you will find thousands of entries of people that got a defective product. I also see people that are going looking for a problem doing things like maxing the screen brightness in a pitch black room and seeing something they don't see in normal use. That is far from anything someone would do in normal usage.

Whether someone wants to wait or not wait is their choice, but given that Microsoft will take back anything within 30 days then you have nothing to lose. This doesn't seem to be a problem that degrades, it either has it or it doesn't. Mine is fine and given the relative number of problems reported I'm guessing the majority are fine as well. If you wait, it doesn't mean that you might not also randomly get something that has a problem.
    07-05-2017 12:58 PM
    I think this is getting a bit blown out of proportion. Reddit, forums, etc. are going to attract the people to post that have a problem. You aren't hearing from the many who don't have a problem. So this conclusion that its a widespread problem is a little alarmist at this point.

I've seen some pictures posted that look to be a real problem and Microsoft seems happy to replace them. This is no different that you'd see if you go to an Apple forum and pick any product... you will find thousands of entries of people that got a defective product. I also see people that are going looking for a problem doing things like maxing the screen brightness in a pitch black room and seeing something they don't see in normal use. That is far from anything someone would do in normal usage.

Whether someone wants to wait or not wait is their choice, but given that Microsoft will take back anything within 30 days then you have nothing to lose. This doesn't seem to be a problem that degrades, it either has it or it doesn't. Mine is fine and given the relative number of problems reported I'm guessing the majority are fine as well. If you wait, it doesn't mean that you might not also randomly get something that has a problem.
    Good points. We can disagree about whether the "majority" of Surface Pro 2017s have this problem. As far as I can tell, this problem is nearly universal (again—*as far as I can tell*). Every Surface Pro 2017 on display here at the Microsoft Store in Atlanta has this problem (I believe it was eight or nine?). I've ordered two, and both had this issue. The series of posts about this online speak for themselves. One guy reported a similar experience at the Microsoft store in Los Angeles: every display model has this issue. Another guy at New York's 5th ave Microsoft store reported the same story. There are plenty of other similar accounts. The sample size is looking increasingly meaningful.

But of course, you're right—problems like this are *not* unique to Microsoft. Apple's iPad Air 2 was afflicted with uniformity issues (i.e., the notorious "book spine effect" if you want something to Google). I found that product very unacceptable as well, especially given the price Apple was trying to command.

If you're wondering: this is a big deal for me because I want this product to succeed. Microsoft has genuinely interesting ideas for products. But the experience, for me, is ruined when I'm faced with a white screen on OneNote, and am met with a huge black shadow running down the screen. It's a constant reminder that I spent $1,500 of my hard-earned money for something that has a conspicuous flaw staring you in the face every time you use it. Come on.
    07-05-2017 10:58 PM
    Well maybe this is a situation where some people's eyes will see something and others don't.
    07-06-2017 06:36 AM
    Well maybe this is a situation where some people's eyes will see something and others don't.
    Mmhm. Can you notice this? img_0046.jpg

This is unacceptable. The third one I have ordered from Microsoft.
    07-06-2017 08:19 PM
    Okay, here are the results from my Sp. I used PowerPoint with a black background screen. If, the problem worsens I will just take it in.
    Attached Thumbnails img_6127.jpg   img_6126.jpg  
    07-07-2017 02:40 AM
    Before everyone went nutzo over backlight bleed the oems got away with it on millions of machines. True story. Hopefully MS will show them how it's done and get their quality control fixed.
    rmaximo2 likes this.
    07-07-2017 03:27 AM
    The problem for these screens isn't black. It's bright screens. Try out your ctrl+alt+del screen
    07-07-2017 07:37 AM
    The problem for these screens isn't black. It's bright screens. Try out your ctrl+alt+del screen
    At least on mine, this is a solid blue screen... is that what you are talking about?
    07-08-2017 02:31 AM
    At least on mine, this is a solid blue screen... is that what you are talking about?
    Yep. If you don't see any unusual or uneven brightness along the bottom of the display by the keyboard on a bright blue screen then you may not have this issue. Could you post a photo like you did for the above? I've literally yet to see a SP2017 that doesn't have this issue! I need some hope!
    07-08-2017 06:21 AM
    ALL:

If you've had this problem, I encourage you to go directly to Microsoft's website and write about your experiences with SP2017 backlight bleed.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...=1499510484669
    Last edited by rmaximo2; 07-08-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    07-08-2017 07:01 AM
    It's so sad Microsoft is not responding. Windows central doesn't seem to care either.
    rmaximo2 likes this.
    07-11-2017 05:50 PM
    Well, I wasn't expecting much from MS concerning this problem since it existed since the SP4 and according to other people since the SP3&2 too, so I had already ordered HP elite x2 1012 G2, it should arrive in 2-4weeks and will see if it has any light bleeding since and I quote "The bottom line is due to the technology behind IPS LCDs with touch screens there is usually always some light bleed" MS apparently is taking care of the problem in a different way, a less expensive one.
    So let me say this "In the end, you are the final judge" so "try to keep some perspective"
    07-22-2017 10:43 AM
    A side note, backlight bleed can be an issue for designers/photographers who rely on a calibrated screen for colour accuracy. Uniformity of the panel is a concern although many small displays like the SP suffer from the issue in one way or another (even Apple laptops, as I've seen uniformity issues on their displays and 'blotchiness' of light/colour).

Am I concerned? Yes, but not worried, as long as I know it's there then it's something I can work around. Turning the brightness down helps towards minimising it which is usually what you need for calibrated displays. If you're outside then you have bigger issues to deal with such as glare. If you're indoors then you don't a bright display.
    07-22-2017 11:34 AM
    Hey guys,
    I recently got the new Surface Pro and I read that MS solved the backlight bleeding issue (which occured in Surface Pro 4) with the new Surface.
    When I ran a display test I still noticed some minor backlight bleeding... so I just wanna know, do you guys have some backlight bleeding as well? Or did I get a bad Surface?

I'm probably not gonna return my Surface because of that, but I just wanna know whether I'm the only one with this or not.
    I still use my surface pro first gen. It also has light bleed. I know it's they're because I've seen it. Over the years though I have ignored it. I don't notice is much anymore.I can understand from one could think it's buying a less than perfect device for a high price. But the surface pro is more than the sum of its parts in my experience.

If we want the light bleed to become an issue, then we should collectively start a petition on windows central now, before leaks of a surface pro 6 arrive.
    07-22-2017 02:04 PM
    Returned my fourth Surface Pro unit yesterday. Lot 1722. Same f'ing story.

Microsoft dropped the ball on this. It's such an obvious defect to those who use these products in more ways than just with a keyboard and mouse where the black taskbar hides the defect. For example, writing on the product with your $100 pen in portrait mode: like here

This species of light bleed is not typical of LPS panels at this price point. And because it affects light-colored backgrounds, the applications it impacts is far broader. Typically LPS panels have backlight bleed on dark backgrounds—this kind of bleed affects movies and that sound of thing. With the bleed on SP2017, my experience using OneNote, Kindle for PC, Word, and basically using the product in tablet mode/portrait orientation were ruined.

Edit:

And after writing this post, I realized that it may make sense that more people aren't complaining. Microsoft said that only about 30% of its customers buy the pen. And a smaller percentage of that, I'm sure, actually use it. Unless you're using the pen or using the SP2017 as a tablet, e-reader, that sort of thing, lots of people wouldn't using this device in portrait mode.This lessens the amount of people who might actually notice the defect, but doesn't make the defect any less annoying to people who notice it
    07-22-2017 02:46 PM
    Have 2 SP4 in the house My SP4 i7 256 does not have these issues have used ctrl alt Del the screen is a uniform green using web note screen looks even and YouTube test screen the screen is a lovely solid black.
    Will check the wife's SP4 when I see my her in a few weeks time.
    07-22-2017 06:00 PM
    I've had the 2017 Surface Pro i5/8G/256G model for 1 week. Light bleed is NOT a problem. And I do use the pen.
    07-22-2017 11:38 PM
    I've had the 2017 Surface Pro i5/8G/256G model for 1 week. Light bleed is NOT a problem. And I do use the pen.

Same here. The whole reason I bought this was to use it with the pen. I spent most of last week traveling and spent a couple of days doing interviews and taking notes all day in OneNote, portrait mode, with the nSP pen.

The pen, the battery life, and the display were all great. The only glitch I had the whole week was one instance of it deciding to go to sleep while I was in the middle of using it. It was back in about 7 seconds after I hit the power button. This is the only time I've had this happen, and my understanding is that the latest Surface update supposedly fixed that.
    07-23-2017 12:20 PM
    I definitely have some on mine. Mostly along the bottom and a slight bit in the upper left corner. I have been trying to decide if it bothers me enough to exchange it or not. Mostly I don't notice it, but every now and then I do and it gets into one of those, once you see it, you can't un-see it loops.
    Last edited by SeanD_Colorado; 07-24-2017 at 07:37 PM. Reason: directionally challenged :)
    07-24-2017 07:34 PM
    So I've now decided to return my 3rd Surface Pro. I thought this was a keeper originally but the more I use it the more I realise that this is still an issue. What bugs me even more is that other people have commented on it when I've said 'Hey, check out my awesome new computer'. Not sure whether there is a real duff batch of Surface Pros that I keep getting sent from, although lot numbers seem to suggest otherwise. Still not been sent the pen, even though it's been released in the UK for a week or so. Not a very happy camper right now.
    07-25-2017 01:45 PM
    So I've now decided to return my 3rd Surface Pro. I thought this was a keeper originally but the more I use it the more I realise that this is still an issue. What bugs me even more is that other people have commented on it when I've said 'Hey, check out my awesome new computer'. Not sure whether there is a real duff batch of Surface Pros that I keep getting sent from, although lot numbers seem to suggest otherwise. Still not been sent the pen, even though it's been released in the UK for a week or so. Not a very happy camper right now.
    Maybe hang out with different people. All I get when showing off my nSP is "wow, that screen is amazing"!
    07-25-2017 01:56 PM
    How did you find the return process in the UK?

I returned my Surface mainly because of other issues (Bluetooth & Wi-Fi related) but it had the light bleed issue too. Got my replacement yesterday and the other issues seem better, but it still has light bleed. I'll see if it bothers me enough to replace it again, but in all honestly I have such bad eyesight it doesn't bother me as much as it probably should do!

Another for me was the return process was so hard. Had to speak to various Microsoft representatives over email, online chat and phone and eventually after 2 failed attempts of return, they finally managed, after 4 days, to send me a delivery label! It then took another 8 days to receive my replacement. Too frustrating, and I don't think I can be bothered going through that again... if I was in the US though and could simply walk into a store for a replacement I probably would.
    07-27-2017 08:15 AM
    Found the returns process hit and miss. Managed to negotiate a considerable discount after the 1st return process was completely screwed up, but I had opted for a replacement. The last time I did it I just returned/refunded and ordered a new one at the same time. It arrived in a couple of days and I'm still yet to send the faulty one back (although will probably do it tomorrow). This one's growing on me again, mainly cause it's a great machine other that the bleed, so not sure what i'm going to do...
    07-27-2017 03:28 PM
49 12