07-27-2017 02:28 PM
49 12
tools
    Hey guys,
    I recently got the new Surface Pro and I read that MS solved the backlight bleeding issue (which occured in Surface Pro 4) with the new Surface.
    When I ran a display test I still noticed some minor backlight bleeding... so I just wanna know, do you guys have some backlight bleeding as well? Or did I get a bad Surface?

I'm probably not gonna return my Surface because of that, but I just wanna know whether I'm the only one with this or not.
    06-26-2017 10:42 AM
    I know every surface pro has it a bit of bleeding. When new it's noticeable. I use two first gen surface pro devices. On both I can see bleeding if I know where to look, but after a while in day to day use I don't notice it after a while.
    06-26-2017 03:04 PM
    I've seen some pictures of folks that have bad backlight bleed. I have none that I can notice. Just ran a test video and see nothing bleeding through at all. I have i5/8g/256g and bought it day after launch day from Microsoft Store.
    06-26-2017 03:29 PM
    I don't notice any light bleed on mine. I pre-ordered my Surface Pro and received it on launch day. I have a Core i5, 8GB, 256GB.
    06-26-2017 10:24 PM
    well I don't see the bleeding during normal usage too but when the screen is dark and the room I'm sitting in is dark as well I can see it a little. Did you guys try that as well?
    06-27-2017 12:04 AM
    well I don't see the bleeding during normal usage too but when the screen is dark and the room I'm sitting in is dark as well I can see it a little. Did you guys try that as well?
    I ran a solid black video, with task bar hidden, so black on black... saw no evidence of any light bleed.
    06-27-2017 09:45 AM
    I ran a solid black video, with task bar hidden, so black on black... saw no evidence of any light bleed.
    That goes for me as well. No visual light bleed for me as well.
    06-27-2017 09:53 AM
    Hey guys,
    I recently got the new Surface Pro and I read that MS solved the backlight bleeding issue (which occured in Surface Pro 4) with the new Surface.
    When I ran a display test I still noticed some minor backlight bleeding... so I just wanna know, do you guys have some backlight bleeding as well? Or did I get a bad Surface?

I'm probably not gonna return my Surface because of that, but I just wanna know whether I'm the only one with this or not.
    The new Surface Pros are afflicted with light bleeding, and this has been well documented. Check out, for example, these threads:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/com...eeding_survey/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/com...o_2017_i5_8gb/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/com...leeding_issue/

I've personally gone through two Surface Pros and both had horrendous backlight bleed at the bottom of the screen. Every SP on display at the store here where I live have it too. Some folks can't see it or refuse to acknowledge it.

After returning two, I've decided to wait a few months before trying again
    06-27-2017 10:51 AM
    Do you find a black video to play? I had mine for about a week now, i7 model and would like to test it. Thank you.
    06-27-2017 11:09 AM
    Do you find a black video to play? I had mine for about a week now, i7 model and would like to test it. Thank you.
    well, you just have to finde a black wallpaper and set it to fullscreen mode.. then turn up the brightness to 100% and make sure your room is completely dark.
    06-27-2017 11:34 AM
    Some folks can't see it or refuse to acknowledge it.

Or they simply don't have it.
    06-27-2017 05:10 PM
    Thanks a bunch. I will give it a shoot and post the results.
    06-27-2017 06:00 PM
    This is the first model I bought. It's already been returned, along with a second model. I might just go 0/3. We'll see.

It's cute that the backlight bleed lines up nicely with the icons on the left--maybe it is a feature.

img_0014.jpg
    davo_svk likes this.
    06-27-2017 07:30 PM
    That goes for me as well. No visual light bleed for me as well.
    Sparro, could you please post a pic of the screen if you don't mind? I've literally yet to see a SP 2017 that doesn't have backlight bleed.
    06-27-2017 07:50 PM
    Here are some pics I took of my screen. If there is light bleed I don't notice it.
    Attached Thumbnails img_5444.jpg   img_5443.jpg   img_5441.jpg   img_5440.jpg  
    06-27-2017 10:06 PM
    ms_surface_pro_i5_34.jpg
    well, apparently even review units have the bleeding. this picture was taken with longer exposure
    Last edited by Stevie04; 06-28-2017 at 10:03 AM.
    06-28-2017 04:22 AM
    I don't think its that big of a deal if there is some light bleed.
    Is this something that will get worse as time goes on? That would only be the reason I would be concerned?
    06-28-2017 02:30 PM
    I honestly don't think that this is backlight bleed.
    I am at a loss to explain why the Ctrl-alt-del brings a brighter blue at the base of the screen.
    When booted into the full OS and run a light bleed test on YouTube I get very minimal light bleed if at all.
    Trust me I am very anal and returned a S3 two times due to unacceptable light bleed.

I am not too fussed by this as it isn't experienced with general use.
    06-28-2017 07:59 PM
    I honestly don't think that this is backlight bleed.
    I am at a loss to explain why the Ctrl-alt-del brings a brighter blue at the base of the screen.
    When booted into the full OS and run a light bleed test on YouTube I get very minimal light bleed if at all.
    Trust me I am very anal and returned a S3 two times due to unacceptable light bleed.

I am not too fussed by this as it isn't experienced with general use.
    I think people use the ctrl-alt-del screen as a frame of reference, but it is not limited to this screen alone. I.e., if someone shows you what it looks like on the ctrl+alt+del screen, you can compare it to others' panels on the same screen and see how bad it is. In the two models I've personally used—and in the other models I've seen at the Microsoft store here in Atlanta—the backlight bleed persisted throughout the OS. Start up screen, Windows 10 set-up screens, OneNote, etc.
    06-28-2017 08:05 PM
    Here are some pics I took of my screen. If there is light bleed I don't notice it.

That seems interesting, thats the first one without problems I have seen. Have you noticed anything unusual at all?
    06-29-2017 08:16 AM
    Other than the Instant-On feature not working properly 95% of the time I have zero issues with my Surface Pro. I've got AutoCAD 2017 on it an the i5 handles it great. I'm very happy with my purchase so far.
    06-29-2017 10:05 AM
    Ok, this makes me nervous.. My son is starting College soon and after lots of reading and looking, we have decided that the Surface Pro was the best choice. He will be taking New Media Design, so wanted something that could not only take notes and work as a normal laptop (unlike the iPad pro which they keep calling a pc) - but the pen/drawing capabilities make it perfect for running Adobe Creative Cloud.

Id like to know really if this is as widespread as it seems. I know often its mostly the people that have a problem that come and post about it so you dont see many people with one that are fine...

Maybe we will wait another month? Advice?
    Thanks!
    06-30-2017 08:26 AM
    Ok, this makes me nervous.. My son is starting College soon and after lots of reading and looking, we have decided that the Surface Pro was the best choice. He will be taking New Media Design, so wanted something that could not only take notes and work as a normal laptop (unlike the iPad pro which they keep calling a pc) - but the pen/drawing capabilities make it perfect for running Adobe Creative Cloud.

Id like to know really if this is as widespread as it seems. I know often its mostly the people that have a problem that come and post about it so you dont see many people with one that are fine...

Maybe we will wait another month? Advice?
    Thanks!
    In my opinion, this problem is very widespread but that doesn't mean Microsoft won't fix it in time. I've tried two SP2017s and both had this issue. I'm going to order a third sometime in July. But every SP2017 I've seen in person has this issue. And if you Google "Surface Pro 2017 backlight bleed reddit" you'll see the three or four major Reddit threads where people complain about entire rows of display models with this issue.
    06-30-2017 07:38 PM
    I am suffering from back light bleeding on my i5... kind of annoying but must admit I only notice it on full screen colour. Don't think it's going to annoy me so much as to bother replacing it! Might have done if we had Microsoft Stores here, but I'd have to send it back in the post :(
    07-04-2017 09:01 AM
    Well, after reading all of this I decided I'm not getting one since the reason I returned SP4 was the same problem. And funny how I'm seeing the same pattern of comments.
    Plus I was waiting for the LTE version but why should I when most probably it will have the same problem. Granted that the SP 2017 is the best in its category but with the high price tag and the bad QC it's a no go for me. What a shame.
    07-04-2017 11:37 AM
49 12