User Reviews - Surface Pro 3

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
AND... doing it that way keeps the "fold" always going in the same direction. Some say it will last longer that way. Makes sense.

It does sound like it makes sense :D My Surface RT with Touch Cover barely has the cover ever detached. Both me and my fiancee just typically fold it around rather than taking it off. That said, after almost 2 years of use (2y in october), I find myself having to attach and detach it to get the device to recognize it more than I'd like to these days. Not sure if it's due to the folding or just the magnetic connectors wearing out or something, but anything to add longevity sounds good.

Also, it just about completely solves my color problem. I can just have the black type cover folded back "backwards" and the audience will just see the beautiful back of the type cover with at best accents of that silver'ish finish in the sides. Given, then we're talking about a 1kg device or so, but it's not like Surface RT and Touch Cover were exactly light combo either, but still I never bothered taking it out in most of my public speaking scenarios. I often speak to the same people, but sometimes in a less formal situation, so in those scenarios I don't mind just detaching the cover, but for the masses and services in the church I'd rather have a less flashy device from the audience's PoV :D

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Good point about the flipping the keyboard around. I've done it a few times myself, but didn't think of taking a picture. Here you go.

WP_20140810_19_58_47_Raw.jpg

WP_20140810_19_59_15_Raw.jpg

WP_20140810_19_59_34_Raw.jpg

Note that due to the extra "hinge" the folded-back position isn't as stable as it is with the SP2, or if you don't flip it around. You can see this in the third picture. Not a major problem, but depending on how you want to use it, something to consider. I'd suggest going to a Best Buy and try it out.

Attachments

• WP_20140809_16_17_43_Raw.jpg
    WP_20140809_16_17_43_Raw.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
AND... doing it that way keeps the "fold" always going in the same direction. Some say it will last longer that way. Makes sense.
That's what I did with my Touch Cover 1 and Type Cover 2. I used those keyboards extensively during my time of ownership and by flipping them over when using the Surface in "tablet mode" kept them in near mint condition... except for a wear mark in the center of the touchpad.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I've used my first Gen RT quite heavily but I've never thought about this before our heard about it before, makes me feel stupid :D

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday went with my niece to the MS store and she picked up a SP3 i5 256/8 model. Man, I've got a SP2 and this new model is so much more SLEEK and more than half the weight! Very impressed initially, the only downside is theres no spot for the pen on the machine, she got a bundle package which included a type cover which also didnt have a holder for the pen (ive seen pics with a little sleeve type on the keyboard to hold pen but doesnt exist on hers...odd). We got it setup MUCH faster than it took me to setup the SP2 (mines the i5/128). During the setup the pen wouldnt bind properly, we were able to do it afterwards.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday went with my niece to the MS store and she picked up a SP3 i5 256/8 model. Man, I've got a SP2 and this new model is so much more SLEEK and more than half the weight! Very impressed initially, the only downside is theres no spot for the pen on the machine, she got a bundle package which included a type cover which also didnt have a holder for the pen (ive seen pics with a little sleeve type on the keyboard to hold pen but doesnt exist on hers...odd). We got it setup MUCH faster than it took me to setup the SP2 (mines the i5/128). During the setup the pen wouldnt bind properly, we were able to do it afterwards.

The loop on the cover is a seperate thing, it uses adhesive to attach to the keyboard. So it's up to the user to put it there and they dont force it by having it there permanently. This comes at a downside though, many report it has fallen off in a few days. But if your nieces type cover package didn't include the pen loop, then that's just weird.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
The loop on the cover is a seperate thing, it uses adhesive to attach to the keyboard. So it's up to the user to put it there and they dont force it by having it there permanently. This comes at a downside though, many report it has fallen off in a few days. But if your nieces type cover package didn't include the pen loop, then that's just weird.

It probably did include the loop...it is in a separate tiny plastic package in the type cover packaging and easy to miss.

Mighty Soul

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Good point about the flipping the keyboard around. I've done it a few times myself, but didn't think of taking a picture. Here you go.

View attachment 76133

View attachment 76132

View attachment 76131

Note that due to the extra "hinge" the folded-back position isn't as stable as it is with the SP2, or if you don't flip it around. You can see this in the third picture. Not a major problem, but depending on how you want to use it, something to consider. I'd suggest going to a Best Buy and try it out.

Hey hopmedic nice!What colour is the type cover in your pictures?Is it the cyan or the dark blue one?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
It probably did include the loop...it is in a separate tiny plastic package in the type cover packaging and easy to miss.

Thank you, ill tell my niece to check the packaging.

Update: She found it, thanks for the help!

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey hopmedic nice!What colour is the type cover in your pictures?Is it the cyan or the dark blue one?
It's the Worst Buy blue one. Cyan is too light in my opinion, at least for me. I have a Cyan cover on my Icon, but for this, that would be just too much.

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
My Surface Pro 3 i5 256GB version has been with me since launch day and is still being carried every day (work and recreation), so it has already exceeded the daily usability of my original Surface Pro, which I found I stopped carrying every day after a month (weight and battery life just made it impractical for daily use but it was still used until I sold it after the SP3 announcement).

I've run into NO in use problems. I've seen at least three other SP3s in use in the wild (two with my same red cover) just in the downtown area where I work.

I'm not planning to upgrade my i5 to the i7 version, but I am interested in how the i7 performs. I saw lots of tech blog "reporting" that was really speculation about how the i7 would perform before it was released, but I haven't come across any reviews of that model, although I know that if there were a problem of some kind it would be headline news on ZD Net and The Verge. So, if you have an i7 version, please post your review here.

As for me, the SP3 is about the best piece of technology I've ever purchased.

ziplocks

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I study in veterinary school and had the i5 128Gb version since the summer. I've had nothing but good experiences with the device. Portability is important when you lug around notes and books of medical size. Most courses do not print notes anymore, and the pen saves the day (though I had to purchase DrawBoardPDF on sale for 5$). At first I wasn't sure if I liked the SP3 but after 1-2 weeks, when you get used to all the swipe features, windows 8 is actually a very neat OS that is very easy to use. All in all, no regrets buying this SP3, especially with the student discount! Plus, I've had nothing but good comments and questions about what the hell this magical awesome device was, and how much it costs!

Last edited:

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I got my SP3 on Thursday and it took me a couple of days to set it up to have all the things I need. I just came from the Sony Vaio Tap 11 - which I sold off a month ago in anticipation of the SP3. The Tap is an ok machine with some pretty annoying flaws - namely the kickstand is too narrow, and the two piece design is more trouble than it is worth, keyboard is kinda terrible and the machine can't hold a charge worth a damn (only 4hrs). The SP3 beats the Tap in every way.

I bought the i7/256GB version and it's a trouble free unit. The thing is just a gorgeous piece of engineering. Also I'm surprised by how good the Type Cover is. FWIW, I use Thinkpads at work everyday, so I'm pretty certain I know what a good laptop keyboard feels like, and for the Type Cover I find myself having absolutely no problems typing on it - I put my hands on it and type away with no slow downs or mistakes. All those techblogs making a big deal about how the keyboard is merely ok to me feels not accurate. Also that whole lapabilty thing is another thing totally misrepresented by techblogs - I'm only 5"3 so I don't exactly have long legs yet I can use the SP3 on my laps with the kickstand on the couch - there's no falling off or the kick stand digging into my legs and all those BS most techblogs are reporting. I'm scratching my head wondering how people make it out to be an impossible task while it is perfectly functional and usable. I haven't tested battery life heavily yet but thus far it can't be worse than the Tap 11. Finally I really like the magnetic charger plug, it takes no effort to line the plug to the port and it literally slots itself into position, amazing.

This machine is just so beautiful, I think I'll be keeping this one for a long time unless the 4 improves dramatically in the weight department.

jrohland

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I've had my SP3 (i5/8/256) for 61 days. I have used it every one of those days.

The bad:
  • No GPS! That stinks a whole bunch. I plan to use Microsoft Streets and Trips for a long, complex road trip. I have to use an external GPS to help with the navigation. Am I the only person who thinks it is ridiculous there is no internal GPS?
  • The virtual keyboard is not good. Like anything, I'm getting used to it. For those of us who use the new BlackBerry phones, we know what a great on screen KB is like. The Surface KB is bad.
  • BlackBerry Link was unable to complete a restore after an OS update on two different Z30 phones. Another Windows 8 computer has never had that problem.
  • Metro apps are poor and there are not enough of them. Those I have tried are not good. Desktop apps are generally good and there are lots of them but many are not being updated.
  • Bluetooth is terrible. BT has been around a long time. It is stupid Microsoft can't get that right.
  • Cortana really needs to be available for Surface Pro devices.
The good:
  • Performance is excellent. There isn't much to say. I don't play games and the productive work I use it for is fast and smooth. As a media player, awesome.
  • Portability. Light, thin, very good battery life. Easy to setup and use most anywhere.
  • Full Windows OS. There is no better business OS available. I use it all the time to support my customers. All the tools I need are available and just work.
  • It stays on at all times. I grab it anytime I want, tap the lock button and get on with it. Even a laptop is a pain to use in comparison.
Should you get an SP3? Yes! Absolutely. It is a great computer. It is an awesome tool. It may be expensive compared to the notebooks you can get from Dell or whatever. You won't grab one of those in the passenger seat of a car, or when you want to do a quick look up of something on DuckDuckGo.com or to catch up on wpcentral. It is so light and beautiful, I grab it all the time.

mikeoc

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Picked up my SP3 (i3) last week, stock is very low in the UK at the moment both online and in stores but managed to grab one from John Lewis on Oxford St in Central London, just before uni started at the weekend. I have a cyan blue keyboard too. Previously had a 1yr old Samsung 13.3" ultrabook, and a 3yr old Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1". The ultrabook only had 3.75hrs max battery life so always had to carry around the charging lead and try to find a socket in between classes (my lectures are generally 4hrs long!), and the Galaxy Tab was okay for working on, but no MS Word/Powerpoint apps, bit slow and laggy, screen bit small, not ideal for working on dissertation etc... so neither ideal for my needs. I wanted a device that would give decent battery life, plus the functionality I needed. SP3 seemed perfect! Setting up was seamless as it just carried over the settings from my laptop, took 5 mins. No problems with heat or battery drain, or yellow line on screen as reported by some users. I tested it out this weekend while I was at school.

Trying to be objective about the battery life, as I know it is early days and it might get better with more use, but at the moment with screen display down to lowest I can manage without compromising my eyes (29%!), the battery lasted no longer than 6 hours - which is obviously a disappointment, when compared to the battery life suggested by Microsoft, as I really need 7-8hrs. This was mainly for using OneNote, PowerPoint, and OneDrive, and occasionally checking email and looking up a few things on IE - so what I consider fairly light use (maybe this is a wrong assumption?). I am up to date with all updates. So I basically wanted to ask - those who have had your SP3 for a while - will battery life improve over time?

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Here's a couple points that I feel matter when deciding between the SP3 and other devices such as the Yoga 2 Pro or the Yoga Thinkpad:

1) Do you need a pen? If so the Yoga 2 Pro is out as it will NEVER have a pen. The Yoga 3 Pro has just been announced. No pen.
2) Is a gorgeous, almost zero font zaggies screen important to you? The SP3 stands alone. I have also briefly owned the Yoga 2 Pro and surprisingly found fonts to look better on this than on that at 3200 x 1800 (which is odd yet true). This also favors the SP3 over the Yoga Thinkpad as that is larger at 12.5 inches and is only 1920 x 1080p. So, if you are a screen snob like me, the SP3 is the better choice.
3) Do you like to use your tablet in portrait mode? If so, at 3:2 aspect ratio the SP3 is far superior and like looking at a real magazine. The same would also be true of taking notes in portrait. It is literally like an electronic legal pad.
4) Is weight important to you? Do you plan on carrying this around a lot? SP3 best choice.
5) If the keyboard is the most important thing to you and you need "lapability", the Yoga Thinkpad will be superior. For me while I prefer typing on a "real" keyboard, the SP3 version is just fine and even pleasant - it is just not quite as lapable as the Yoga (but still passable).
6) If you are looking for a tablet that can be an ultrabook with emphasis on screen candy and pen input, SP3. If you are looking for an ultrabook that can be a tablet with an emphasis on keyboard typing and durability at the sacrifice of screen goodness, Yoga Thinkpad.

Conclusion: In the battle for "One ring to rule them all," and for my needs, the SP3 wins the race at this point. If the Yoga Thinkpad was 3:2 and had a higher resolution, this would be a more difficult question. Right now, SP3 is in the sweet spot for me.

P.S., I believe that MS has worked out some of the early bugs in later manufacturing runs. My initial SP3 had a weird yellow streak down the left hand edge and some pretty bad light bleed. My new unit is MUCH better with no yellow and very low light bleed as LCD screens go.

Last edited:

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
@mikeoc,

Ignore manufacturer claims on battery life. They are always far too optimistic. You can always get an external battery that will fully recharge the SP3 for around $100 USD. Also, the SP4 (which will likely have an M processor and better battery life) will be out within the next 6 months.

Another option would be to get something like the Asus Note 8 for taking written notes on OneNote in class and syncing with your SP3. You can grab one of those for only $250 USD at MicrosoftStore.

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
So I got a SP3 last week and so far so good. But if MSFT wants to market this as a business machine, they need to add a trackpoint to the keyboard. The trackpad just isn't functional. I know that most users don't get the trackpoint, but it's so much more accurate. If they can mimick the old thinkpad setup with the mouse buttons underneath the keyboard with the "red nipple" this would be the ultimate kickass machine.

Sorry but WHAT? You prefer the "red nipple" to the SP3 trackpad? How is the SP3 trackpad not "functional"? It is as good as any trackpad I've ever used on a full sized laptop. Of course you are entitled to your opinion but I simply could not disagree more completely.

mikeoc

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Appreciate that Bill, but we shouldnt have to spend more money on other devices to get anywhere near the amount of battery life on the SP3 that Microsoft claims in their advertising... I'm a student, and I just spent ?750 on an SP3 and keyboard, I have no money left :) But I am going to try to enjoy it for what it is, and will just keep an eye of the battery useage over time and see if it improves.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon