Official Lumia 520 Amber Update Thread

Moin Syed

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
After the OTA update I did not get any features.

I tied factory reset twice, still says there is no new update.

Pathetic way of pushing a software. There is no help for this issue on nokia site as well

Srini74

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,
I did OTA update yesterday for my L520. To be frank, you need to be patient to get the update properly installed. Keep the battery at 100% and also keep the phone under charging if possible. while wi-fi download battery drains fast.
First, check for updates and the update gets downloaded thru WI-FI , takes easily 20-30 mins.
The preparing for Install step, takes while, expecially when it reaches 100%, takes easily 10 mins.

Then the update window pops up and once you say "Install", the phone says "Restarting"...but it takes while to reboot,
This is where I lost patience and manually rebooted and the update failed. Once again intiated download and this time on "restarting" screen I left it...
It takes while to restart and wheel like symbol comes and then it goes 1 of 5 to 5 of 5 steps and thats it.

I got following
FM - the main reason why updated
Flip to slience
Data sense
Color profile
..may be few other things ..yet to explore.....

please note after the download and preparing for install, the storage space drops almost 1GB...so before you start the amber update ensure you atleast have 1.5GB phone memory space free so that you dont get into any trouble...

Enjoy.......

Srini74

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Many people in this thread mentioned that the update is not good enough...but to me this sofware update method is very good....the reason is while downloading the update my WIFI connection got stopped 3 times and I have to disable and enable WIFI in the phone and to my surprise the download started from where it stopped rather than starting from 0%...This is good....as I dont have worry on my weak WI-FI link....after the download "preparing for Install" and "restarting" is when one need to be patient to allow the phone to get the update complete.....My experience with the update is really nice and no big challenges except for my im-patient behaviour which costed me to start the process download again...

Moin Syed

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
For someone who has flashed Android ROMs so many times, bricked my phone and recovered. Updated Sony Ericsson and old Nokia phones, this is the worst experience.

Resetting to factory settings and again trying for update does not work. To top it all there is no official help anywhere and Nokia does not even report there are some issues with Lumia 520 updates.

Pathetic. Will never buy a Nokia/Ms ever!

Jaydeep Doshi

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I did all of the stuff mentioned above with PATIENCE but still nothing! :angry:

After the updates were downloaded, there was a prompt screen which mentioned that 3 updates were downloaded and are ready to be installed. All 3 were:

Windows 8 xxxxxxx

Did anyone (who have the changes reflected) check what all updates were installed?

KK SARMA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I finally got Nokia Pro Cam on Lumia 520. I did it via Cellular Network, and not via Wi-Fi because I don't have it.
wp_ss_20130924_0002(1).png
wp_ss_20130925_0001.png
wp_ss_20130925_0002.png

this method is for those who doesn't have Wi-Fi. Go to access point menu of Settings. Then click add. Then Give a name for connection, and then enter access point of your SIM card operator. then enter proxy address and port mentioned early in this topic. addr: 117.135.139.179 port: 8888. it will ask for MMS APN, press ok. then follow same process as on wifi, and activate that access point, change language region , and time zone as in proxy technique. then
head to How To Install Nokia Pro Cam On Non-PureView Lumia Phones | TechTree.com... scan qr code using bing vision. and press install. After download interrupted, press home button, then go to settings -> access point -> long press your newly created access point, then edit access point , erase proxy and port and save it. then go to download and try it again. your download will start automatically.

wp_ss_20130925_0003.png
wp_ss_20130925_0004.png
wp_ss_20130925_0005.png

KK SARMA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Guys update via NSU... it will clean install every thing on phone, and there will be no problems after amber update. you will not loose contacts or messages as they are backed up to Microsoft account. You need to re install all apps. And there will be reduced other storage issue also.

Kalp Patel

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I just got my amber update today fro my lumia 520. The new features i have witnessed are:
  • Datasense
  • Radio
  • Lumia color profile
  • flip to silence(doesnt work too well)

I also downloaded the nokia smart cam from the store and it works fine. A little sluggish due to the 512 mb ram in the 520.
    Nokia pro cam is not available in the store for us as of now. No idea if it will come out or not. You can try to use the proxy method and find out for yourself
    Intriguing features such as double tap to wake and glance screen are missing. I dont understand why double tap to wake wouldnt work. Glance screen is due to the lack of a
    AMOLED display.

Arsh Tejay

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
me too....facing the same problem.
Updated my Lumia 520 OTA after trying about 30 times.
It said "UPDATE COMPLETED"
But there were no features of GDR2+Amber.
Only Nokia Smart Cam was available.

Kalp Patel

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
the gdr2 is installed and so is the amber update. The problem is that the features are not available for our phone
me too....facing the same problem.
Updated my Lumia 520 OTA after trying about 30 times.
It said "UPDATE COMPLETED"
But there were no features of GDR2+Amber.
Only Nokia Smart Cam was available.

Shah Chintan

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am from India and I have lumia 520.

Today I had checked updates and found that there is available for my device.
I have downloaded it and installed it properly with following instruction and completed whole process and I got the "Done" confirmation in my phone.

But still I cannot see those updates. Still my Firmware version number is 1030.6408.1309.0002
I have restarted my phone many times but still not getting updates.
I am very existed for this updates.

Can anyone help me?

Ashok Kumar K H

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
After the OTA update I did not get any features.

I tied factory reset twice, still says there is no new update.

Pathetic way of pushing a software. There is no help for this issue on nokia site as well

Update will come from store.... or download sysapp pusher... It'll tell the updates are available for whatever app which is supported for Lumia 520.........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes