222 ... 45678 ...
tools
    That's the one! Thanks, WizeGuy!
    WizeGuyDezignz likes this.
    05-31-2013 11:59 AM
    That's the one! Thanks, WizeGuy!
    Sure thing!
    05-31-2013 12:12 PM
    Ok, I think I need to replace this phone. The other day I charged it to 100 then unplugged it and went to bed. In the morning it was at 85%. This morning I unplugged it at about 9:30 and its just been sitting here not used, at about 11:40 I checked the battery and its at 86%...
    05-31-2013 12:49 PM
    Ok, I think I need to replace this phone. The other day I charged it to 100 then unplugged it and went to bed. In the morning it was at 85%. This morning I unplugged it at about 9:30 and its just been sitting here not used, at about 11:40 I checked the battery and its at 86%...
    How long have you had it? It takes some time and some full cycles for it to calibrate the battery.
    05-31-2013 01:12 PM
    Had it since the 17th. I'm pretty sure I've calibrated it, ran it down to zero 3 times then after that charged it before getting close to zero.

Anyways, talked to VW, shipped me out a new one today, so just to make sure, as long as I backup everything with Verizon's Backup Assistant Plus for contacts and then Windows Backup for settings, apps and pictures, that should be god right? Nothing else to backup?
    05-31-2013 01:39 PM
    I wouldn't even use backup assistant. If you're using your Microsoft account for contacts (which works best), they're already in the cloud. BA is a pain, and not so reliable, from what I've read.
    Serious Tone likes this.
    05-31-2013 01:55 PM
    I went through about 90% in +\- 12 hours on my second day with the phone, is that about normal?
    05-31-2013 08:15 PM
    Probably not...

What exactly were you doing on it for those hours?
    05-31-2013 09:30 PM
    Probably not...

What exactly were you doing on it for those hours?
    just basic use, mostly twitter and IE , although NFC was enabled until half way through
    05-31-2013 10:11 PM
    On my 810, I am currently averaging around 17-22 hours give or take and I am a moderate user. I have noticed early on what apps like to run in the background, (Skype, City Lens, etc) and the ones I don't use often I disabled background activity except for the ones with live tiles that display relevant info to me. My NFC stays on but I always toggle Bluetooth on/off when needed. WiFi remains always on even under lock screen and occasionally I play some games and my battery still rocks!! My longest on a single charge has been 1 day 8 hours given I didn't use it much besides messages, some calls, and that's it. My old HTC Radar would give me over 2 days on a single charge sometimes! That's one of the things that made me fall in love with WP <3. I gave that phone to my little brother and he told me its still giving him great juice, given he is also a moderate to low user...
    05-31-2013 10:23 PM
    just basic use, mostly twitter and IE , although NFC was enabled until half way through
    NFC works many times in conjunction with Bluetooth. When I first got my 810 I got around the same battery life as you. I now leave NFC on BUT I toggle Bluetooth on/off when needed just pinned to my start screen. I noticed Bluetooth is a huge drain on my phone as well as the 8X I gave my mom. I would recommend you toggle Bluetooth on/off when needed and just leave NFC on. That's what I do and I always get easily through a day or more even in heavy use... Also disable background apps you don't use very much it REALLY helped me...
    05-31-2013 10:32 PM
    Does anyone know if the battery starts off weird but gets better after the first couple of charges? The first day it died after 2 hours of non use, yesterday it died after about 5 hours of light-medium use. This morning I've been using the wpcentral app for 20 minutes and still at 100%. Is it normal for it to get better like this?
    06-01-2013 08:19 AM
    Does anyone know if the battery starts off weird but gets better after the first couple of charges? The first day it died after 2 hours of non use, yesterday it died after about 5 hours of light-medium use. This morning I've been using the wpcentral app for 20 minutes and still at 100%. Is it normal for it to get better like this?
    Normal. It takes a bit for the battery to calibrate.

Also, many of the 3rd party battery apps only check the battery level on a routine interval until you can trigger it to check. You may be seeing stale data.

The battery saver attribute under the System Settings is the only one that seems to be accurate whenever you check it.
    06-01-2013 09:29 AM
    My experience with the battery life on my 928 has been very surprising, in a good way. Initially the first couple of days the battery life seemed pretty blah. But as each day went by the battery life started to increase dramatically. I actually still feel like it's increasing and I've had it for about two weeks.

965115_10152868709075790_740928526_o.jpg

I'm more than happy with these results. This was after a day of using a lot of Hopstop to make my way to a Yankee game, taking pictures at the game. Being in an area with not the greatest of reception. Very pleased with the result. It's amazing having a phone you don't have to worry about dying on you unpredictably.
    06-01-2013 09:54 AM
    I've so far seen no difference in the 928's battery than with the iphone, it is just not lasting at all, Bluetooth and nfc are off, im using wifi, low brightness, battery saver off, although this is only my third daywp_ss_20130601_0002.png
    06-01-2013 06:24 PM
    I've had my 928 for a while now and my god is the battery a blessing! I'll go the whole day on my phone and around 10pm (when I usually plug any other phone in) I look at my 928 and it says 68% battery! Most any other phone would be dead or in battery saver mode (less 10%). I'm very happy with the battery! And this isn't a one day thing, I'm consistently finding my battery to last leaps better than any other smartphone I've had!
    jleebiker likes this.
    06-02-2013 09:19 AM
    Hmm, so I just read that actually keeping your WiFi on all the time, even when not in a spot with a connection and also keeping the WiFi radio on when the cell is in standby actually increases battery life.

Anybody have any knowledge about this. I have my phone to shut off WiFi when the screen goes off, which I thought saved battery, but actually uses more because then the cellular network is then continuously searching and draining it.

Maybe a reason some peoples battery isn't as good..?
    06-02-2013 12:03 PM
    Hmmm... I could be wrong, but I don't think it does. When battery saver initiates, it turns my WiFi off. So I'd imagine that keeping it on drains the battery.
    06-02-2013 12:28 PM
    For all the people that have been experiencing bad battery life, it might have been already said, but I just found it today.

I had all my accounts to manually refresh and I thought I was keeping my apps from running in the background but i didnt even know about the applications section under battery saver. I found that the apps app highlights, YouTube, here drive plus beta and weather were all running in the background. After I disabled all of them my performance from what I can tell has shot way up.

Woops, looks like I didn't need this replacement after all.
    jleebiker likes this.
    06-02-2013 08:36 PM
    For all the people that have been experiencing bad battery life, it might have been already said, but I just found it today.

I had all my accounts to manually refresh and I thought I was keeping my apps from running in the background but i didnt even know about the applications section under battery saver. I found that the apps app highlights, YouTube, here drive plus beta and weather were all running in the background. After I disabled all of them my performance from what I can tell has shot way up.

I do not see an applications section under battery saver, what am I missing?
    06-02-2013 09:35 PM
    Sorry, its under settings, swipe to the right to applications, then its under background tasks.
    Ryano89 likes this.
    06-02-2013 09:38 PM

Of those you mention, only Here Drive + can run constantly. The others only have background agents that are allowed to run for up to 25 seconds every approximately half-hour. And that depends on your settings - the weather app probably has a setting where you can choose how often it updates (you didn't say which weather app, so I don't know). Here Drive+ will only run in the background if you are actually navigating.
    06-03-2013 08:39 AM
    Of those you mention, only Here Drive + can run constantly. The others only have background agents that are allowed to run for up to 25 seconds every approximately half-hour. And that depends on your settings - the weather app probably has a setting where you can choose how often it updates (you didn't say which weather app, so I don't know). Here Drive+ will only run in the background if you are actually navigating.
    Hop, I've been reading your posts for some time. (Thank you btw for all your insights of WP8). Is there a list somewhere that will spell out for people which of the more popular apps WILL and will NOT run constantly? I read the thread about why we don't need to manage background apps, but I think it would make people feel better if they could compare to a list somehow. Thoughts?
    06-03-2013 12:05 PM
    I'm not aware of a list of which apps use which background tasks. The way it works, the only ones that can use the background constantly are the ones that are tracking location actively (like the Here Drive+, or apps that track location for exercise, like mapping your run/walk/bike), and apps that play music in the background.

Location tracking apps cannot track your location without your permission. They must present you with notice the first time that they request location tracking, and they must have a method of disabling location tracking, or they will not pass certification. They have to have a reason to track your location - can't be tracking location for kicks. A year or two ago there was an app from AGV Antivirus (like why would we need that, since it was incapable of doing what it claimed to do), and what it truly did was reported your location occasionally to their servers. Microsoft pulled it as soon as this was discovered.

As a developer, one of the things that irritates me, since most of my apps are free with ads, is that the ads require device identification and other capabilities that I would rather not enable, simply because to some people these capabilities raise their level of suspicion. I understand why the ads use these capabilities, as it helps them to target their ads, but I wish there were a way around it.

As for apps that play music in the background, if you hit the volume button and make sure it is paused, you're not using any CPU cycles. If you're like me, and use bluetooth to stream, then you'll notice that when you connect/disconnect BT you can end up with music playing unexpectedly. For that I use the Stop Music app. From within the app, tap the pin tile button and the tile that is pinned will stop the music without you having to go into the app. One touch from the start screen stops the music.

VOIP apps like Skype have some kind of exception as well, but I haven't looked into them, so I don't know how they work, or whether they are allowed to be active in the background all the time, or if they are using some other method to wake up the app when an incoming call is detected.

Hope this helps!
    jleebiker likes this.
    06-03-2013 12:18 PM
    Thanks Hop! That'll do. I think it's better to have an understanding as to the WHY and HOW, rather than just a list anwyway. I was just hoping to get a list for some people who might do better with a list.
    06-03-2013 12:25 PM
222 ... 45678 ...