10-10-2014 02:09 PM
1,870 ... 2930313233 ...
tools
    (family standing around empty carrier store. The Rock enters.)

THE ROCK: Carriers release updates whenever they damn well please. What do you think about that?

YOU: Verizon...

THE ROCK: It doesn't matter what you think!

(insert white background with MS logo)

THE ROCK: Buy unlocked for your free slice of poon tang pie.

(pans back to Rock giving people's eyebrow)

THE ROCK: Get em now jabronis.
    associatedpress likes this.
    09-21-2014 11:30 AM
    Except that makes no sense. Why would the delay of Cyan/8.1 be because of something that is NOT included in Cyan and 8.1? They could just as well send out Update 1 later on without delaying Cyan/8.1.

Hey I'll be happy if we get Update 1 with it. But that doesn't make the delay excusable at all.
    Because that would involve two full network test and releases instead of one. Verizon is just not going to do that and, tbh, I don't blame them. Their testing process is too rigorous and time consuming as it is.

And, to attempt to look at it from their point of view, they will select the update that lines up more with their initiatives, which is Update 1 with VoLTE. When that network upgrade fully launches and the marketing department starts to push it (like with XLTE), they want as many devices as possible to have it and that would require all of their WP's to have Update 1.

And, for the record, I'm not trying to excuse how long it's taking to get this update. I'm just trying to find plausible reasons why it would be taking this long and this one makes a lot of sense to me.
    feeked likes this.
    09-21-2014 02:25 PM
    Pulls up saved favorites link
    Goes to last page
    Sees no news of 8.1
    Will return next Sunday
    Crosses fingers
    DavidinCT, Vastustaa and notjaykay like this.
    09-21-2014 03:49 PM
    Because that would involve two full network test and releases instead of one. Verizon is just not going to do that and, tbh, I don't blame them. Their testing process is too rigorous and time consuming as it is.

And, to attempt to look at it from their point of view, they will select the update that lines up more with their initiatives, which is Update 1 with VoLTE. When that network upgrade fully launches and the marketing department starts to push it (like with XLTE), they want as many devices as possible to have it and that would require all of their WP's to have Update 1.

And, for the record, I'm not trying to excuse how long it's taking to get this update. I'm just trying to find plausible reasons why it would be taking this long and this one makes a lot of sense to me.
    Sure hope you're right!
    09-21-2014 05:28 PM
    As I said before, don't expect cyan anytime soon, will have to wait for denim
    09-21-2014 05:29 PM
    Pulls up saved favorites link
    Goes to last page
    Sees no news of 8.1
    Will return next Sunday
    Crosses fingers
    Hello, you are apparently me.
    09-21-2014 08:00 PM
    Hello, you are apparently me.
    He's you from the future. Which means next week we still won't have it :(.

Damnit, guys.
    notjaykay likes this.
    09-21-2014 08:39 PM
    I've tried tweeting Vzw and no response; I've chatted online and I keep getting "it's still under testing" crap. Tomorrow I will begin a phone campaign calling and complaining.
    09-21-2014 08:53 PM
    I've tried tweeting Vzw and no response; I've chatted online and I keep getting "it's still under testing" crap. Tomorrow I will begin a phone campaign calling and complaining.
    I think Daniel Rubino should call Microsoft and let them know what is going on with Verizon and some other carriers. I am sure MS probably knows about it. However, we need someone with some clout to get MS to push Verizon. It is in there best interest to keep WP customers happy. We are supporting a new platform and Microsoft. They should at least have the respect for their users to at least give us an accurate time instead of the "I DON'T KNOW' crap...
    09-21-2014 09:05 PM
    This is frustration talking...Cyan has been released for quite some time and in that time Apple has had their announcement event, released the phone and operating system upgrade. All on schedule. Anyway, I am a big supporter of Microsoft but it looks like they are slipping in the market and they have no problem with VZW giving them the shaft...Looks like Apple has taking the market again..
    09-21-2014 10:16 PM
    I wonder if the price going back up to "normal" instead of free could be a good sign that cyan could be rolling out very very soon...
    09-21-2014 11:12 PM
    I wonder if the price going back up to "normal" instead of free could be a good sign that cyan could be rolling out very very soon...
    Verizon usually works those extra subsidy deals with the OEM for a set period of time.

So that agreed upon period likely just ended. Nothing really worth reading into.
    09-21-2014 11:37 PM
    Verizon usually works those extra subsidy deals with the OEM for a set period of time.

So that agreed upon period likely just ended. Nothing really worth reading into.
    I understand, but I'm still gonna be wearing my lucky underwear for this week...
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    09-22-2014 12:39 AM
    Maybe Verizon is waiting for the Windows 9 announcement (maybe a Windows phone 9, or Windows 9 for phone, or what ever the pluck they will be calling it) as they might announce WP9 as well during that...

Too bad we cant get a stream...it is next Tuesday....
    09-22-2014 09:21 AM
    I honestly don't think we need to speculate anymore. Tcman88 has stated that it's due to exclusivity with the HTC One. The deal was along these lines: Verizon gets the HTC One with Windows for *period of time* before AT&T as long as they wait to release Windows Phone 8.1 on the rest of their WP8 line. That's it.
    09-22-2014 09:34 AM
    I understand, but I'm still gonna be wearing my lucky underwear for this week...
    All week???? LOL
    09-22-2014 09:45 AM
    I went back to 8.1 yesterday so I'm back to relying on this thread and WPC to announce when "Verizon is now rolling out 8.1 on ICON and 928 devices". <----That felt good just typing it. Plus it'll stop me from checking for updates a zillion times a day.
    09-22-2014 09:48 AM
    Comical...really? This happens everytime one of the major carriers gets exclusive rights to the intro of a new phone and the timing of OS and/or firmware updates coincides with that new device launch (which always already has the latest greatest updates. You will get the update when they have sold enough HTC One wp's. And not a day sooner. DP anyone?????
    09-22-2014 10:00 AM
    Comical...really? This happens everytime one of the major carriers gets exclusive rights to the intro of a new phone and the timing of OS and/or firmware updates coincides with that new device launch (which always already has the latest greatest updates. You will get the update when they have sold enough HTC One wp's. And not a day sooner. DP anyone?????
    As has been talked about a so many times, it's the Cyan part that is the crucial one. Most of us here have the Preview for Developers already (or had it, at least).

Now that MS owns the Lumia line I hope they just start providing the firmware as well...
    09-22-2014 10:19 AM
    That doesn't explain T-Mobile's lack of Cyan update though. Currently AT&T has it exclusively. Either AT&T is at fault, or both T-Mobile and Verizon are at fault for some reason, or I don't know what.

I honestly don't think we need to speculate anymore. Tcman88 has stated that it's due to exclusivity with the HTC One. The deal was along these lines: Verizon gets the HTC One with Windows for *period of time* before AT&T as long as they wait to release Windows Phone 8.1 on the rest of their WP8 line. That's it.
    09-22-2014 11:49 AM
    That doesn't explain T-Mobile's lack of Cyan update though. Currently AT&T has it exclusively. Either AT&T is at fault, or both T-Mobile and Verizon are at fault for some reason, or I don't know what.
    T-Mobile just doesn't care. Not much more complicated than that. :)
    09-22-2014 12:21 PM
    09-22-2014 02:49 PM
    I can't wait any longer...need to get SensorCore into a new app. I got an Icon so I could test this stuff. I'll just have to do the backup/NSRT route tonight.
    09-22-2014 02:57 PM
    I can't wait any longer...need to get SensorCore into a new app. I got an Icon so I could test this stuff. I'll just have to do the backup/NSRT route tonight.
    Why? SensorCore doesn't work on the Icon until Cyan. I don't understand what you mean.

I want SensorCore badly. Lost my Fitbit yesterday :(, and with SensorCore I can just use the Icon for the tracking instead... Come on Verizon. The 930 has Cyan and now official Update 1.
    HyperChrisX likes this.
    09-22-2014 03:01 PM
    09-22-2014 03:10 PM
1,870 ... 2930313233 ...