Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just talked to a Verizon rep who said they weren't releasing the update until it was ready. I asked how so many small carriers could have the update but Verizon refused to release it.

Him: "If you want to go to another carrier that is your right."

Me "For someone who has 14 lines of service that seems very unhelpful."

Him: "If you want an update that will break your phone. Go for it"

Me: "For the record so I can tell people, do you believe that ATT's updates broke their devices?"

Him: "Are you recording this call? I did not agree for you to record this call."

Me: "No, I just want to convey information I receive from you to people who are wondering."

Him: "Goodbye." *click*

Planning the switch of the 14 lines to ATT today.

Woah... I'm completely opposed to being rude to CSR's. And I'm not sure what was said earlier in this conversation.

But this CRS's attitude was ridiculous. If i were you, i'd give a manger a call and let them know who is representing their company. Someone who doesn't care about WP8, or its users. Someone who makes the company look even crappier than they do in this Cyan/8.1 release fiasco.

And guess what - even if you didn't record the conversation, Verizon did. They recorded it to monitor his performance. So give them a call.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
West-Central WI; just north of LaCrosse, WI. If I get up and over the bluffs in WI (to where my kids travel for sports) I lose coverage of all but those two. Just too many dead spots in my home area to NOT use Big Red. I have been with them for almost 20 years now (including previous acquisitions). My biggest complaint (on this issue) is the lack of communication. I think most people would agree that half the issue is not knowing.

Ahh I didnt realize US Cellular went that far north. I've been to the LaCrosse area many times. I work for a sister station for your local FOX affiliate and have gone up there to help them work on projects. Where i live there are many spots that USC get better reception then VZW but never the speeds you get with VZW.

Obsidial

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Go to Verizon Wireless' leadership page (I tried to insert a link, but I need to post more to gain that privilege on this forum).

Most of the execs have contact forms. Fill them out...they (or rather an intern,etc) will call you. I did this and got a call within a few hours. I tried to be professional and talked about 'lack of communication' and how people choose Verizon for their tech leadership in LTE,etc (so as not to appear like I'm just ********).

The net result is that they directed me to Nokia/Microsoft's Cyan page and how 'It's not released to them yet'. Yet another case of passing the buck, but whatever. Basically it was a waste of time...but ...maybe if enough of us do this...SOMETHING will happen.

wstanton

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
My honest opinion in this is that Verizon wants to be sure the firmware is not bypassing any of their services (think Skype and wi-fi back in the day). A theory, but got nothing else to go on cause they won't talk to us!

I think that's a charitable opinion, and I'd love to share it.
The problem I have is that Verizon does not communicate their intentions with their customers. They don't SAY if they're trying to make it work. They don't say if they're working on it at all. They don't say if they have a deal w/ HTC. They don't say if they're NEVER going to update the Icon.
The silence of everyone who knows anything, plus the willingness of all the CSRs (who know nothing) to say whatever they think we want to hear, is what's making this whole customer-base crazy.
For a communications company, Verizon's got a lot to learn.

donebrasko

May 16, 2013
Visit site
But, your still here replying to this thread ? Not sure how much you actually gave up looking :)

It would be a much happier day if we got Denim today.....(note: I have given up complete hope for Cyan, now want denim)

Yep, checked, no such luck....Thanks Verizon...

$30 for 1gb ? Ouch...I am so glad I am grandfathered in....Unlimited for $30...and I get my employee discount on top of that :)

They must have something else or a promo that could get you more data for that price, I thought it was 2gb for $30 now days ?
I never said i was leaving the forum, I'll still read but I'm not checking for updates. I'm not expecting it every day when i wake up anymore. I'm not expecting the announcement to show up on WP central...i don't think it's coming and I'll just enjoy the preview edition

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I never said i was leaving the forum, I'll still read but I'm not checking for updates. I'm not expecting it every day when i wake up anymore. I'm not expecting the announcement to show up on WP central...i don't think it's coming and I'll just enjoy the preview edition

Phew. We thought it was a suicide note.

daniel329

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Woah... I'm completely opposed to being rude to CSR's. And I'm not sure what was said earlier in this conversation.

But this CRS's attitude was ridiculous. If i were you, i'd give a manger a call and let them know who is representing their company. Someone who doesn't care about WP8, or its users. Someone who makes the company look even crappier than they do in this Cyan/8.1 release fiasco.

And guess what - even if you didn't record the conversation, Verizon did. They recorded it to monitor his performance. So give them a call.
I didn't feel that I was being rude. I certainly didn't let the first guy off easy when he said what he did. I can't believe the poor quality of service from him when I pay a premium for Verizon vs competitors.

I did call and talk to a manager in corporate for almost an hour (We have a corporate account) about the whole issue. The manager was the complete opposite. He was apologetic and spent the hour going through stuff on there back end looking for any news on Cyan.

Hate to rain on everyone's parade but he said he could not find a single mention of 8.1 or Cyan on their servers. He certainly at least put in the time and was very familiar with the carrier update process. He kept asking if I was sure my phone was even eligible for a SW/FW update from MSFT since he couldn't find a single reference.

All he could find was 8.1 and HTC. He was really floored. Said they firewall all the computers at VZW HQ so he couldn't get to some resources he wanted to check but he would do some independent research when he got home and would give me a call if he found anything and if not he would shoot me a text. Now I guess I wait.

Over on the VZW forums people have been filing FCC complaints and getting assigned a case officer. Apparently several people have remarked that they have gotten a lot of complaints about this issue so I might give that a shot. Still gonna try and make the switch to ATT at this point.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I've given up hope that anyone at Verizon that is in any way connected to customers know anything about this update, but I'm glad this guy didn't give you any BS but instead seemed generally interested in trying to find out more. Let us know if he does indeed find anything out.

At this point I'm starting to think that Cyan will not be released, and frankly I'm not sure we'll get anymore firmware updates from Verizon at all. They might have concluded that the Icon user base is too small and they don't want to spend the money.

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
"Over on the VZW forums people have been filing FCC complaints and getting assigned a case officer." Really, over a update. That is the stupidest thing I have heard. It not like your going to die or something if you dont get it. Lets face it, once the Icon get any updates the next best phone will be out and then youll want it. Then the whole cycle starts again. I have been through this with VZW on Android, if it comes it comes, if not just wait for the next phone that has the update and get it. Its not like the Icon will be the last phone made by Nokia.
My dad switched over to VZW from crap *** T-Mobile and I gave him my Icon and I got the HTC. The 8.1 is a big change and to me it was worth trading. Will it be my last phone, HELL NO. The next flagship will come out and then I will decide to get it or not, its not a life changing event, it a phone for god sakes.
Also switching form VZW to ATT will result in nothing. The all have bad CS. I had it will all carriers. Sometimes you get a good CS rep that care and sometimes you dont. I am not about to leave the best service, from me in Miami atleast, just because of some *** on the other end of the line. And price wise, they are all with in a few bucks of each other, so its not like I will save $50+ a month by switching.
Its a update pepole, wait for it or switch devices. Its not like you need this update to continue living.

daniel329

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
"Over on the VZW forums people have been filing FCC complaints and getting assigned a case officer." Really, over a update. That is the stupidest thing I have heard. It not like your going to die or something if you dont get it. Lets face it, once the Icon get any updates the next best phone will be out and then youll want it. Then the whole cycle starts again. I have been through this with VZW on Android, if it comes it comes, if not just wait for the next phone that has the update and get it. Its not like the Icon will be the last phone made by Nokia.
My dad switched over to VZW from crap *** T-Mobile and I gave him my Icon and I got the HTC. The 8.1 is a big change and to me it was worth trading. Will it be my last phone, HELL NO. The next flagship will come out and then I will decide to get it or not, its not a life changing event, it a phone for god sakes.
Also switching form VZW to ATT will result in nothing. The all have bad CS. I had it will all carriers. Sometimes you get a good CS rep that care and sometimes you dont. I am not about to leave the best service, from me in Miami atleast, just because of some *** on the other end of the line. And price wise, they are all with in a few bucks of each other, so its not like I will save $50+ a month by switching.
Its a update pepole, wait for it or switch devices. Its not like you need this update to continue living.

Actually when you run a large business and have people on WP devices that are not getting security and feature updates to their phone it is a big deal. Especially when you spend probably roughly 10k a year on Verizon cell service. If ATT cares about their customers enough to at least updates their phones then I will give them my money. That's all I'm saying.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I have been through this with VZW on Android, if it comes it comes, if not just wait for the next phone that has the update and get it.

Congratulations, the Verizon strategy works on you. "Hey, this functionality is in my phone, but Verizon refuses to enable it and wants me to pay hundreds of dollars for a new phone instead. Awesome, please, take my money!"

If I don't get this update (or Denim), I will never get a Verizon phone again. This is about functionality of the phone that is in there (BT LE and SensorCore) that Verizon is choosing not to give us. If they are willing to deny me what Microsoft has put in there and sent out code to enable, I sure as hell will never give them my money again.

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site

If you don't find it incredulous that the Nokia Lumia 920, which was released in November 2012, has both 8.1 and Cyan while the ICON does not, I do not know how to help you.

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
"Lets face it, once the Icon get any updates the next best phone will be out and then youll want it.

Not with Verizon and Lumia. It will be a good long, long, long, long time before the "next big thing" comes out and makes the update irrelevant.

I believe the formula is something like Lumia model # - divided by - number of Galaxy S variants released since - times - the number of Apple iPhones divided by the square root of the number of people who argue the 1020 is still "quick."

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Seems like there are lots of reasons why Verizon's lack of update release is hurting customers and also preventing businesses from making money. Like not being able to purchase and use equipment that makes use of sensor core for example.
Are there any lawyers here? Is there any way to legally force vzw to perform its duties? If not refund the money? Anything that could be done at all?

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Seems like there are lots of reasons why Verizon's lack of update release is hurting customers and also preventing businesses from making money. Like not being able to purchase and use equipment that makes use of sensor core for example.
Are there any lawyers here? Is there any way to legally force vzw to perform its duties? If not refund the money? Anything that could be done at all?
I am ppretty sure they can update, or not, at whatever pace they want. We, only have one option (If you want a Lumia of actual flagship status) and therefore... It is what it is.

ajscalingi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

I will be in a few months. No, it's highly unlikely--duties are to their shareholders.

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
If it played nice with our Icons we would have it already. Too many posts of developer version being too hot, too slugish and such. Verizon is always slow, but it works when released. They test extensively, to make sure all aspects of the phone and network function correctly. Me personally, I'm not switching carriers just because of a late software upgrade. My device works, no bugs, and does what its supposed to do. I can wait.
Sent from my Verizon Icon

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
If it played nice with our Icons we would have it already. Too many posts of developer version being too hot, too slugish and such. Verizon is always slow, but it works when released. They test extensively, to make sure all aspects of the phone and network function correctly. Me personally, I'm not switching carriers just because of a late software upgrade. My device works, no bugs, and does what its supposed to do. I can wait.
Sent from my Verizon Icon

Sponsored posts should be labeled as such. As in you're clearly in the employ of Verizon to spread ignorant babble about delaying a huge update, you can shut up.

Sent from the collective common sense of this forum.

That and go stick an antenna in your urethra. One of the asparagus sized detachables from a late 90s Nokia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon